• 08-04-2008
    mntbikr15
    Best towns to live and ride?
    Considering moving somewhere in northern New England.

Have spent a good amount of time there but not a huge amount riding at various places.

The only town I have enough experience with the riding is Stowe.

What other places have good trails (and a lot of them)?

Thanks,
    Evan
  • 08-04-2008
    freeefunk
    Waterbury
    Right next to Stowe is Waterbury where we just had a mountain bike festival. Within a 30 minute drive you have trails in Stowe, Mad River Valley, Hinesburg Town Forest, Catamont Family Center, Bolton (if it opens again) various Fellowship of the Wheel trails, Millstone. Plus the local Waterbury trails were chosen by Bike Mag to be in the top 50 in the country. We have a great local bike stop too Five Hills, and the beer is pretty darn good at the Alchemist. But most of all it is home to Biggears the famous bike model for the New York Times and Kingdom Trails...
  • 08-04-2008
    BigJay
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freeefunk
    Right next to Stowe is Waterbury where we just had a mountain bike festival. Within a 30 minute drive you have trails in Stowe, Mad River Valley, Hinesburg Town Forest, Catamont Family Center, Bolton (if it opens again) various Fellowship of the Wheel trails, Millstone. Plus the local Waterbury trails were chosen by Bike Mag to be in the top 50 in the country. We have a great local bike stop too Five Hills, and the beer is pretty darn good at the Alchemist. But most of all it is home to Biggears the famous bike model for the New York Times and Kingdom Trails...

Yep i agree.... but simply because of Biggears being the local star!
  • 08-05-2008
    Jwind
    well, lots of places to ride. Maybe some living requirements can help us narrow things down. lots of riding is useless without a decent quality of life IMO.
  • 08-05-2008
    radair
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwind
    well, lots of places to ride. Maybe some living requirements can help us narrow things down. lots of riding is useless without a decent quality of life IMO.

My thoughts exactly. What do you do for work, what sort of nightlife are you looking for, what other sports do you do, do you have a family to provide for? Winters are long in northern New England so what you are into at that time of year will largely determine what areas are best suited for you.
  • 08-05-2008
    mntbikr15
    Thanks for the input so far guys.

As for other factors

-I am self employed and work on the internet so for me it doesnt matter
    -Fiance is just graduated and thinking of getting into interior design
    -Night life isnt a requirement but nice restaurants and such are always a plus
    -Fiance just said "quaint little village", local shops and such.............stowe may or may not be quaint but thats the best I could describe what we like
    -Other sports....skiing, hiking, xc skiing...generally anything outdoors.
    -No family to raise at this point and we dont plan on it anytime soon so good school/place to raise a kid arent a requirement at this point.
    -Not looking to spend much more than 350k at this point

Thats about all I can think of at the moment...any other questions just ask.

Thanks,
    Evan
  • 08-05-2008
    fishbum
    Hey - I have a lakefront house for sale within 30 minutes of Portland that fits the bill...!
    Only 70 minutes to Sunday River!!!!

I'll throw in my vote for Portland! :thumbsup:
  • 08-05-2008
    mntbikr15
    Heh....fiance is from scarborough....her family would love that.

Ive ridden bradbury mtn....but never anytjhing else around there.

We do like Portland though even though we hate bigger cities

Link to house?
  • 08-05-2008
    itchyjesus
    I vote Camden/Rockland area. Great riding and the interior desig biz could do well there.
  • 08-05-2008
    radair
    I'll go with Littleton/Franconia, NH area.

Camden is super nice but snow conditions are too unreliable for my taste.
  • 08-05-2008
    snowdrifter
    In no particular order.

Concord, NH
    Littleton, NH
    Seacoast, NH (Exeter, Dover, Portsmouth)
    Waterbury/Stowe, VT
    Burlington, VT
    North Shore, MA

If your fiance is a dude, try the Maine coast, like Olgunquit.
  • 08-05-2008
    Jwind
    I live in Portland, ME. Very nice city, lots to do, great people and probably a good outlet for you wives new career. THe riding season is considerably longer than anywhere else in Northern NE. Be prepared for Rain after almost every significant snowfall on the coast. 2 years ago we rode year round (mostly on dirt) that being said, it's also further from skiing if your into that and home prices have not really fallen at all.

Other places in NE where i would feel right at home. Franconia NH, North Conway NH, Waterbury/waitsfield/Stowe VT, Burlinginton if you want a little more urbaness.
  • 08-05-2008
    freeefunk
    Northern VT
    You'd probably like Northern Vermont, somewhere near Kingdom Trails biking and Jay Peak skiing, maybe St Johnsbury if you want a small city. You'd get more for your housing dollar than you would in Waterbury/Stowe/ Waitsfield (or the other places that people have suggested). A little more rustic up there and might not be too much design work for your other half, but both Burke and Jay Peak ski areas have major development plans so there should be design work eventually. You'd also be an hour or two from Montreal which has unbelievable food and other cultural stuff.
  • 08-05-2008
    VMBA
    Vt
    Waterbury is cool, great riding all around, good food and beer. Don't go looking for single chicks - Biggearss has taken them all.

Seriously, the local realtor in Waterbury is a rippin' biker, let me know and I'll connect you with her. PK
  • 08-05-2008
    Fuzz541
    Based on your criteria, Waterbury or the immediate area is probably best. You can get a lot of house almost anywhere in VT for $350k, so that shouldn't be an issue, especially in the current real estate climate.

I'll also put in a plug for a friend's house in Montpelier. Nice house, not too small, not too big, great neighborhood. Very nice people, and the house is in excellent condition.

http://nneren.com/view2.php?id=27359...0.00&t=&fcla=1

- very good trails right out your door and lots of good local rides
    - short drive to epic stuff in Barre (Millstone), Waterbury (Perry Hill), Stowe (lots of stuff) Waitsfield/Warren (lots)
    - adjacent to a huge forested city park - Google: Hubbard Park 05602
    - easy walk to downtown for work / food / movies / library / bikini wax / etc.
    - Montpelier is a nice small city community (pop 8,000), with a strong professional environment, an informed/involved (heavily left/liberal for good or ill) population, good local services (some rural areas have a 30 minute police/fire/amb response time for real emergency 911 calls - no joke).

And it's not important now, but if you stay long enough to raise kids there, the schools are excellent. Montpelier isn't a party town. It's pretty quiet, only has a few bars and has several great restaurants including Sarducci's and The Black Door. If you want more of a scene, look in Waterbury (young, active professionals plus rednecks), then the ski resorts (money plus rednecks), then Burlington (vibrant college town with affluent surroundings - plus rednecks).

FYI the northeast kingdom is EXTREMELY rural and all that entails: mostly rednecks, log trucks, farm trucks, hunting - lots of hunting, ATV's, lifted pickups, etc., sprinkled with random dots of affluence (Peacham, Burke, etc.). Don't get me wrong. I'd be more than happy to live in the NEK. It's the real Vermont for sure. Just be aware of what it is, if you or your fiance might get cabin fever in such an environment.
  • 08-05-2008
    snowdrifter
    I'll sell you my house, friends, cat, and you can host rides at Bear Brook. $250k, no haggling!
  • 08-05-2008
    mntbikr15
    Awesome input guys....just got home from 7 hours of driving so will pick more through it in the morning

Thanks!
  • 08-06-2008
    peadarmac
    Also, check out Cambridge/Jeffersonville in Vermont. For mountain biking there is the Brewster River Mountain Bike Club which is very active and maintains miles of trails in the area, you are close to Stowe with its trails and skiing, but the housing prices are less, there is Smuggler's Notch Ski Area just 10 minutes up the road from Jeffersonville, plus lots of other outdoor activities available, such as hiking and there is the Lamoille River which flows through town, if you like to kayak or canoe. Just another option.
  • 08-07-2008
    mntbikr15
    Well weve ruled out anything on the coast given the bad snow conditions.

Stowe or surrounding area is still at the top of the list...but will be checking out the others next time I have a few days.

Thanks guys

Evan
  • 08-08-2008
    epic
    I'm starting to think Phoenix, AZ would be the place to be. F this rain!
  • 08-09-2008
    WEBERTIME
    Hinesburg, VT... 15 minutes to Burlington, 25 minutes to Waterbury, 5 minutes to Hinesburg Town Forrest, 15 minutes to Lake Champlain. ~4000 people, about as quaint as you get. Google the town/area, pretty great place with lots of activities (4th of July fireworks that you can watch from your front porch, great fishing, paddling, hiking, riding, good drinking, & shopping are very close as well). Pretty good property taxes, and schools too. And the town is booming, it's largest employer (NRG, a solar and wind power company) is expanding and doing really well. I love Waterbury myself, my girlfriend works there, I ride and fish up there, a nice place for sure, but Hinesburg's winters aren't as sevre, and it dries out a bit quicker in the Spring.
  • 08-09-2008
    Severum
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VMBA
    Don't go looking for single chicks - Biggearss has taken them all.

Don't you mean tainted them?
  • 08-10-2008
    DaveVt
    Hyde Park is a nice town very close to Stowe, but not too close. Plus there is a great local riding spot that no one really knows about. Also look at Morrisville and Elmore if you don't want to be right in town. Warren/Waitsfiled would also be a great choice. Not quite as Jersified as Stowe, great Mtns, and Riding, and Snow. Spendy though.
  • 08-10-2008
    Whitebike
    Goffstown NH.

Great riding that the locals have kept quiet about.
    Easy access (1-1.5hr) to skiing, the ocean and Boston.
    10 minutes to Manchester.
  • 08-10-2008
    BigJay
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveVt
    Hyde Park is a nice town very close to Stowe, but not too close. Plus there is a great local riding spot that no one really knows about. Also look at Morrisville and Elmore if you don't want to be right in town. Warren/Waitsfiled would also be a great choice. Not quite as Jersified as Stowe, great Mtns, and Riding, and Snow. Spendy though.

Heard abot that... A couple of buddys went... Then as i was coming back from Stowe, heading north, i came across 2 mountain bikers crossing the road... i almost followed them...

One more spot to visit on the list!
  • 08-10-2008
    biggearss
    PK is just mad because he didn't get to them first.
  • 08-10-2008
    Fuzz541
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WEBERTIME
    Hinesburg, VT... 15 minutes to Burlington, 25 minutes to Waterbury, 5 minutes to Hinesburg Town Forrest, 15 minutes to Lake Champlain. ~4000 people, about as quaint as you get. Google the town/area, pretty great place with lots of activities (4th of July fireworks that you can watch from your front porch, great fishing, paddling, hiking, riding, good drinking, & shopping are very close as well). Pretty good property taxes, and schools too. And the town is booming, it's largest employer (NRG, a solar and wind power company) is expanding and doing really well. I love Waterbury myself, my girlfriend works there, I ride and fish up there, a nice place for sure, but Hinesburg's winters aren't as sevre, and it dries out a bit quicker in the Spring.

Troof.
  • 08-11-2008
    mntbikr15
    Wierd, stopped getting email updates to replies.

Unfortunatly were taking a month long riding road trip to OR/WA/BC and I wont be able to check these places out until like oct but I def will.
  • 08-11-2008
    WEBERTIME
    ????!?!?!?!!!!?
    Unfortunately???? Have fun on that trip!
  • 08-11-2008
    mntbikr15
    :)

Thanks.

Pretty excited for it....we did three and a half wks in Colorado last year and it was a blast.
  • 08-12-2008
    atkinson
    How can everyone miss the obvious?

The Motor City, Moretown, VT.

We're close to everything, one corner of town is even closer to the Perry Hill trails than the Alchemist. Think on that. Millstone, Northfield and Randolph are a town or two away. The Mad River Valley lies below. Stowe is a short jaunt, so is Burlington and ChittCo. Even Burke is an easy day trip.

There's great tech and flow riding in town, dirt connections to Waitsfield, Fayston, Duxbury, Northfield, Waterbury and Middlesex, the Mad River Path leaves from the south end and most importantly, it's where Patrick Kell, the executive director of VMBA, lives. That should be endorsement enough.

John