mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Ascutney Trails opens for 2014

We open tomorrow, Friday the 9th. Check Ascutney Trails for details on what trails will be open. See you on the trails!

beer thief
    Hi Jim - rumor has it that one of your kiosks includes a changing stall. If so, do you have plans or any photos of it? We'd like to do something similar here in the MWV.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Jim, Glad to see you are getting going. Will be over soon...those changing stalls are simple but keep you from dancing around in the porta pottie. Now where did I put my keys!! Damn slipped on my chamoix....So do I understand that you are building East towards the State Park..that sounds interesting... what would it take to circumnavigate the Mountain...Damnation

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Hi Jim - rumor has it that one of your kiosks includes a changing stall. If so, do you have plans or any photos of it? We'd like to do something similar here in the MWV.
    Yes, that was a design I put together kiosk/changing room/ porta-john/ information wall. Someone asked for plans a few months ago , but while I was looking for detailed plans, that request got buried somewhere - hopefully it was from your group. Here are some pictures, and if you email me at Trails@ascutneytrails.com, I'll send you a pdf of what I found of the plans.
    Ascutney Trails opens for 2014-kiosk-1.jpgAscutney Trails opens for 2014-kiosk-2.jpgAscutney Trails opens for 2014-kiosk-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The porta-john goes in that niche in the back - somewhat hidden from view. It should be positioned so that the vent stack is not under the roof, or the changing room is unusable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by damnation View Post
    ...So do I understand that you are building East towards the State Park..that sounds interesting... what would it take to circumnavigate the Mountain...Damnation
    Yes, we will be working on new trails on the eastern-most ski slopes (Sunday, May 18th, 12:30 - 4:00 - details posted soon at Sport Trails of the Ascutney Basin > Home) and hope to have them in place by the VT MTB Fest, July 11-13. Two weeks later we will be working on a beginner loop across from the state park campground on the other side of the mountain. The VYCC crew will be working on that, too in early June, so we hope to have it on line by fest-time, too. If the park people are happy with how that works out, next year we will begin work on a 5-mile connector trail from there, around the north side of Ascutney to the trail network at the resort and town forest. That will likely be a couple years in the making (we started this process in 2008.) Continuing from the park campground around the south side of the mountain to hook up with Escalator involves many different land owners as well as some reluctance on the part of the state due to some sensitive habitats. But, we will continue to work towards a 15-mile (+/-) circum-Ascutney trail as long as there seems to be interest in it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Jim this is mike from PA. We were at the fest last year. Was wondering if anything is planned for Friday this year? We'll b up friday regardless and planned on getting a ride in. Hopefully this year will b just as good as i'm sure it will be. Counting down the days.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    We'll b up friday regardless and planned on getting a ride in.
    Yes, we'll probably be starting guided rides on Friday afternoon and evening.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Jim, any idea when registration will be open for this years fest at ascutney? We already have our lodging booked.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

2014 Vermont MTB Fest registration is open.

You can register here:
    https://vmba.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=8"]VMTB Fest Registration[/URL]

We have added Friday afternoon (July 11-13) and about 5 miles of new beginner and intermediate trails, plus other goodies to a festival that was great last year. Advanced registration saves you $10 and a free event Tee over on-site registration. Also, VMBA members get 15% off, so be sure to join now, and help build more trails at Ascutney and throughout Vermont.

Royalston Mass
    Just road there for the first time last week....really fun. I loved hayrides! I can't wait to bring my kids. The little pump track and mini bridge section will give them hours of entertainment. Thanks for all the work
    Bert
    Don't argue with idiots...they will take you down to their level and beat you with experience

mtbr member
    Can anyone recommend good swimming holes nearby?