Any trails snow free/ dry yet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Any trails snow free/ dry yet?

I am in southern Maine and there are some trails that are almost ready for us non-fat bike riders.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nothing around Auburn / Lewiston north yet...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Plenty of snow left here. But spring temps have arrived and the big melt it is underway.

Last year, the first trails opened the first week of May. I bet that will be same for this year.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    We have no snow south coastal Maine but there are also very few trails. Still pretty wet though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    No snow in southern NH,
    Very wet trails.
    I’ve heard musqash is rideable but it has to be very wet.

mtbr member
    Anyone checked out Yudicky in Nashua? Thinking of heading there on Thursday afternoon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    North shore Mass, Glocester and south have been the earliest riding I have seen. Sand and granite. Maybe Bill will chime in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Maine is still a good 3-4 weeks from quality, non destructive riding. Mass and the cape is the place right now.
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The local trails, Portland area, should be ready any day depending on any rain. I am going to do some spot checking the next couple days. This area doesn't have a real big network of trails but a lot a decent rides. Of coarse if your just looking to get out the Eastern Trail always dries quick. Anyone ride between Cumberland and Kennebunk? Those are my stomping grounds when I don't want to involve my car.
    Keep the updates flowing folks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMANCHVEGAS View Post
    No snow in southern NH,
    Very wet trails.
    I’ve heard musqash is rideable but it has to be very wet.
    Where is that? I don't believe I have been there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by stixxs View Post
    The local trails, Portland area, should be ready any day depending on any rain. I am going to do some spot checking the next couple days. This area doesn't have a real big network of trails but a lot a decent rides. Of coarse if your just looking to get out the Eastern Trail always dries quick. Anyone ride between Cumberland and Kennebunk? Those are my stomping grounds when I don't want to involve my car.
    Keep the updates flowing folks!
    Not quite that far up, but I am planning to check out Aggy on Saturday. Been riding real mountain bikes on the seacoast of NH for 2 weeks now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Franconia area trails have up to two feet of smoothly packed snow, and some great ice. The riding is excellent in the mornings, but studded tires are needed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Rode Smith Preserve in Kennebunk yesterday and Tuesday. It’s great w a little bit of mud and maybe 20 feet total of ice in 8.5mi loop. Higher elevations, sand and slab clear it out quickly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sorry for the delayed reply stixx

Musquash is near litchfield Londonderry line in NH. Solid southern nh riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ascutney Trails still have some ice, but mostly heading toward mud. Please stay off until probably early May.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Any News on Boston Lot? I rode B-Street in Mass (Amherst-ish) last weekend (awesome), and cruising through WRJ / Leb it seems like they may be close as well.. Any locals chime in?

Up North still needs some time... ugh.
    Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    RSD Catalyst all road bike
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

mtbr member
    Fort Rock is good. A few wetter spots here and there, and the seasonally wet trails/areas should still be avoided.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Any News on Boston Lot?
    Trails are closed. Went to Mason Racing on Friday and they said there's still quite a bit of snow on the ground. Follow UVMBA on Instabook or Facegram. They're pretty good about updating on conditions. Workday is planned for 4/28.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Went riding this weekend. Sunny and 60 degrees. Had mostly good conditions but of coarse it is snowing today. Got to love New England.

mtbr member
    Winant, Swope, and Hospital trails in Concord were 95% dry on Sunday. After last night I think we will need a few warm Sunny days to get the conditions back to good riding for no trail damage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Is this one of the Rhodes Bros from Bow?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineland View Post
    Is this one of the Rhodes Bros from Bow?
    Yes, it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Highland is supposed to open on the 25th, do you guys think it's too optimistic ? In Quebec right now, we still have huge amounts of snow

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlo489 View Post
    Highland is supposed to open on the 25th, do you guys think it's too optimistic ? In Quebec right now, we still have huge amounts of snow
    For sure not worth the trip, it just snowed there again two days ago.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    no way ! We've had like 10" of snow last monday, never thought you guys had some as well. So you think it,s all gonna be a muddy mess ?

mtbr member
    Only 20 minutes further south from Highland and most trails are getting 90% good to go. Some major rain coming Sun-Mon, but the snow should melt very quick. If it gets warmer, dryer, and windy I think Highland may have a chance for that date of the 25th.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Supposed to be 70 tomorrow!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    The Mt. Holyoke Range trails in Hadley, MA are dry and fun. Getting to them only takes a few minutes longer from central VT/NH than getting to Pine Hill Park in Rutland (usu. the earliest open trails in the region).

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I hiked some of the boston lot trails in west lebanon nh, they're drying well, still have some saturated spots. So far this week we've had good weather so i'm looking forward to checking out the unhiked portion of boston lot hopefully tomorrow if all goes well, and gonna take a peek at the resevoir rd. trails this weekend. I know the resevoir rd trails have a way to go, stopped at the trail head 7 days ago and didn't even bother getting out, it was obvious there was still 4" ice pack as far as you could see with a 6 ft tall and deep snow bank... Will post updates.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I scouted out the northwest side of Boston Lot today and it's still got a ways to go. Beyond mud and ice patches, there are also a bunch of downed trees (definitely more than I remember encountering last year). Getting a gravel bike last fall has been a game changer though! The trails may still be drying, but the dirt roads are ripping in the upper valley!

On a side note, some riding friends and I are planning a trip up to Quebec to hit Vallé Bras du Nord and Mont Sainte Anne (XC/AM trails) for the early summer. Does anyone have any estimates to when those networks will open? Looks like early June from past years...

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by BZ202 View Post
    On a side note, some riding friends and I are planning a trip up to Quebec to hit Vallé Bras du Nord and Mont Sainte Anne (XC/AM trails) for the early summer. Does anyone have any estimates to when those networks will open? Looks like early June from past years...
    We did have record snowfall this year, but early June should be good to go. Black flies season it will be!

Try to fit Sentiers du Moulin into your schedule.

Gruntled
    Portland area is still really soft. Trees are budding, though. Probably another week at least.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah definitely not before June this year, we've had a very cold and rainy spring so far and still lots of snow. As the other guy mentioned, if you're looking for the best enduro trails ever, you absolutely need to go at sentiers du moulin, it's the best spot ever. Try the new wolverine ! Vallee bras du nord is mostly cross country. If you're planning to do some DH with the chair lifts at mont sainte anne, make sure you check the opening date because they generally don't open until June 24th or something.