Less yappin, more Brappin

2014 Portland area trail conditions

How are the conditions in your neck of the woods? Is the snow on most trails packed and rideable, or icy and sloppy?
    As spring comes around when do you consider the thaw complete and trails rideable?

I want to get out and ride and get off the rollers.

Less yappin, more Brappin
    Well I tried riding this afternoon in the snow. Thru Baxter Woods it was grippy snow on top of crunchy snow. Into Evergreen Cemetery it was the same. Started on a slight downhill section, left off-camber corner, and found out real quick that the whole trail was one big ice sheet. I washed out, whacked by knee on the ground, and slid on my bum for about 10 feet before stopping.

I have been mountain biking for nearly 20 years, but this is my first winter in Maine, so the trail condition learning curve is steep.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You on fatbike ? they work well on packed trails ,crusty stuff & snowmachine trails.You do have to watch out for ice if you don`t have studded tires.If you don`t know about fatbikes check out the forum on this site,happy trails.

mtbr member
    The trails in Cape Elizabeth were in good shape last Sunday,although you will need studded tires. The snowmobile trails might also be in good shape.

mtbr member
    Anyone ride at Bradbury or Smith preserve lately. Would like to head out to those spots this weekend after I mount my studs.

mtbr member
    Rode Bradbury on Saturday. Snowmobile trails are excellent. Fast and smooth. Some other trails like Ragen and a few others were packed enough to ride although the bridges have a 2-3" high center-line of packed snow/ice that is half the width of the bridge. Very tricky to ride.

CB of the East
    Studded tires are a game changer when it comes to winter riding. The icy spots you use to avoid become the fast spots you aim for. And they're cheaper than an insurance deductible and a LOT more fun than training rollers.

The trails in Raymond/Gray are fast and fun with occasional ice. Of course that is all going to change tomorrow.

CB of the East
    Bump. I think it's worth saying that this may be the best weekend for any winter biking this year. The trails are all packed, firm and fast. Ice is minimal so studded tires aren't a must. The temps are going to hold below freezing both days. Make sure to get out there and enjoy them if you can. I know I am going to try.

mtbr member
    Rode Bradbury today and it was just ok. Not many trails packed since the last snow and rain. Snowshoers have not been out much. Snowmobile trails are still good.