mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Zeus geometry change?

i checked out the Zeus on the website, & i don't remember the limousine length wheelbase it shows. or, the chopper head angle. did Sherwood go full enduro on the Zeus?
    breezy shade

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Pretty sure that's always been the Geo. What might be different is that you see the Geo for the 160mm setting and not the 140mm. If I recall correctly, my Bruja V1 was 44"+ wheelbase, so I don't notice the "Limo" length. I'll measure mine tonight, to see if it measures out that full length posted. (I run a Fox 36).
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Proud lame eBiker
    It's an update.

Brining the bike more inline with where the 6" crowd is going. Longer, lower, slacker HA, steeper STA.

I've been absolutely loving mine that I got early last summer with the new geometry. Pedals real well as things get steep too with the steeper seat tube angle keeping your weight from transferring behind the rear axle. Keeps the front end planted even with the longer top tube/short stem/wide bar combo. The bike just loves to be pushed hard. Get on the gas and push that sucker around and it'll respond with a level of precision that's hard to find these days with fleet carbon front ends wagging around.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Myke, was your first Zeus front triangle not 66 Degrees at 160?
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    what i remember is a 67* HA. the BB ht. ain't bad at 13 5/8, but the real killer for me is a 47" WB. my Terremoto at 44+ is admittedly somewhat short maybe, but 47 is outa bounds for my taste.

w/ Ventana, maybe i could get the last iteration of the Zeus built for me w/o too much of a +charge. or go w/ small? hmmm?
    breezy shade

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    what i remember is a 67* HA. the BB ht. ain't bad at 13 5/8, but the real killer for me is a 47" WB. my Terremoto at 44+ is admittedly somewhat short maybe, but 47 is outa bounds for my taste.

w/ Ventana, maybe i could get the last iteration of the Zeus built for me w/o too much of a +charge. or go w/ small? hmmm?
    Why? Are you thinking itís gotta be slow steering or difficult to maneuver because of the wheelbase alone? Your Bruja has well over 44Ē wheelbase with over 17.4-18.1Ē chain stays on 26Ē wheels.
    Zeus has 17Ē chain stays with 27.5Ē wheels. That translates to the majority of the ďextraĒ wheelbase being underneath or in front of you not behind you like on the Bruja. Having also come off a Bruja, the Zeus is far more maneuverable than the Bruja, without the mid-corner tippyness on slow speed turns. (Full inch lower B.B.). Now having said that my actual measured wheelbase is 46.2Ē with a Fox 36. My forks are 2015 models with 44mm offset.
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Bruja? haven't ridden that in about 5 years. still got it though, as a backup bike.

isn't just the WB, but w/ that & a 66* HA, is what doesn't thrill me. i liked the last geometry.

the newer Fox's 50 something?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    talked to Teresa. can get the last Zeus geometry for same price. gotta love Ventana!
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    I wonder why Ventana did not update the rear axle spacing to boost when they updated the geometry? Yeah, boost axle spacing is stupid, but that seems to be the future. And yeah, 157 spacing is stupid too. Iím just not sure I want to invest in an old standard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    considering how Ventana does business, you can get what ya want.
    is 157 really going to be the one & only spacing?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    considering how Ventana does business, you can get what ya want.
    is 157 really going to be the one & only spacing?
    I was told the Zeus is not available with Boost spacing. Did not ask about 157 spacing. The web site lists it as 142.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I was told the Zeus is not available with Boost spacing. Did not ask about 157 spacing. The web site lists it as 142.
    OHM, I would try again, know first hand that adjustment can be made to go from 142 to 148 boost, have had it done before. Shoot an email to Sherwood. New geo on the Zeus is nice!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bervin View Post
    OHM, I would try again, know first hand that adjustment can be made to go from 142 to 148 boost, have had it done before. Shoot an email to Sherwood. New geo on the Zeus is nice!!!
    Teresa is who told me Boost spacing is not available on the Zeus.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Teresa is who told me Boost spacing is not available on the Zeus.
    Little surprised with that as I know they can do it.

Iíll be at Waterdog
    I would also love to get a new El Cap or Zeus, but with boost spacing. Just like OHM, Iíd like to not invest in an old standard. Iíve also been able to avoid PF BBs up to this point, so Iíd like a threaded one. Iím sure our friends at Ventana do a great job with the shell tolerance, but threaded is just too easy.

Been looking at Ibis, Transition and others, but my Ciclon has been bomb proof since I built her up in 2011 and Iíd love another worry free bike. I hope they make the swap to a boost rear this year since Iím getting the urge to add another to the stable.
    ďWe bring SaturdaysĒ ~ Josh Homme

mtbr member
    A T47 threaded BB is an option.

I ended up putting a deposit down on something else. Iíd love to trade my X5 in for a Zeus some day though.

Iíll be at Waterdog
    So yeah, like you said, OHM...Teresa says no go on the Boost rear on the Zeus, but she said that Sherwoodís dialing the finishing touches on the 2018 El Capo with boost and 27.5+ compatibility. She sent the geo to me and it looks awesome. She also said thatís the first frame, so Iím sure the new Zeus will be right behind it. Trouble is, Iíve been given the green light on getting a new bike from my wife and Iím having trouble waiting for late June...thatís when theyíre due to be finished up and ready to buy. Any reason I shouldnít just grab a current Zeus? Iíd likely need a custom wheelset as finding a 110/142 set ainít gonna happen. Iím not a wheel tacoer and Iíd probably go with King hubs, so hub durability/longevity and availability wouldnít ever be an issue, not that 142 hubs will disappear anyway. Just not sure how much I care about boost still considering Iíll ride it for years to come. Max rear tire is 2.4, but anyone cram a 2.5 or larger in the rear without rubbing the stays or grazing the seat tube? Then again, Iíve got a Krampus for farting around on big tires. I know, first world problems, right?

Decided not to part with my Ciclůn too...just canít make myself do it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zeus geometry change?-6793182f-0b87-47ab-a732-1030c8b9229a.jpg  

Zeus geometry change?-7fd16c8a-7c8f-4507-ab96-a01db80bad85.jpg  

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Largest tire I can run on the current Zeus rear-end with my relatively "Narrow" Flows (28mm internal?) is a 2.3" WTB Breakout. I tried to run a 2.3" WTB Vigilante but with my relatively "narrow" rims they are SUPER tall like 62mm tall and in the 160mm mode they did rub the seattube. the current Breakout is 58mm tall and clears. Both are large volume tires.

I know, Myke (Internal14) was using 2.4 Riddlers on superwide carbon rims with zero issues.
    -Aaron G.

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Thanks for the reply, Ciclist. Iíve been staring at pics of I-14ís Zeus at Whistler for weeks now, but I better stop. Thatís not gonna make it easy to wait until June if I decide to hold off for the new frame. That thing looks like a beast.

Hereís the geometry Teresa sent to me. Not too far off of the Zeus..looks like itís gonna be awesome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zeus geometry change?-5458c68f-41ed-4dfb-8fc4-668744feb3fc.jpg  

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Slacker and lower BB, Chainstay is shorter too. Refinements, but the actual look of the frame will be a bit different than before, there's an * on Seat Angle for a reason. It's a virtual Seat Angle. And 1 X specific too.
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    Slacker and lower BB, Chainstay is shorter too. Refinements, but the actual look of the frame will be a bit different than before, there's an * on Seat Angle for a reason. It's a virtual Seat Angle. And 1 X specific too.
    Nailed it, have to move shock and seat tube forward to get those short chainstays.

But super pumped it's gonna happen been pushing him for 2 years to build this frame. Been running the new geo Zeus for quite awhile now and it is really good.

Team Fearless Descender
    It's been a (very) long time since I've been the boards here. I'm a long time "V" owner (20+?? years?), but still riding my now old El Salt and T-Moto there wasn't much for me to comment on here. But like Ol Bromy it looks like this summer I'll finally be in a position to build a new bike.

I had figured there would be something new coming down the pipe, and when it was "off the record" somewhat confirmed, it made things very interesting to me. Zeus was where I was looking, for several years now. And now I'm more "stoked" than ever.

Looks like some calls and perhaps a visit to V HQ will be in my near future.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    The El Capitan is going to be a brute. Looking forward to seeing it.

Iíll be at Waterdog
    I ordered the current Zeus frame last week...hopefully itíll head my way this week. Iíve been collecting parts for a while and ordering more parts recently. Ordered a Fox 36 and wheels this weekend.

Hey, Bervin...the Boneyard Zeus looks awesome. Iíve ordered a Nobl TR33 wheelset and I was curious what tires youíre running. Iím planning on running her at 160mm and Iíve been a Maxxis DHF dude, but open to suggestions given the 2.4Ē max tire size.
    Been looking at the WTB Breakout as Ciclistagonzo recommended a while back.

Thank.

Proud lame eBiker
    Currently running the Minion DHR II WT 2.4. Raced yesterday with it with zero issues.

Had been running an e.13 2.35 on there and no issues

There are ever so slight black marks that show on the back of the Ďrocker lugí, but Iíve never heard the tire make contact and most definitely havenít felt anything happening. Heck, there are rubber marks, but if I scrap with a fingernail the rubber comes off and powercoat is still intact.

Iím so loving my custom Zeus. Sheís just a beast! Tackles anything in the 160 mode.
    Ride it plenty in the 140 mode too which makes it a bit poppy to play with while still feeling like itís got lots to give still in the travel department.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Bromy View Post
    I ordered the current Zeus frame last week...hopefully itíll head my way this week. Iíve been collecting parts for a while and ordering more parts recently. Ordered a Fox 36 and wheels this weekend.

Hey, Bervin...the Boneyard Zeus looks awesome. Iíve ordered a Nobl TR33 wheelset and I was curious what tires youíre running. Iím planning on running her at 160mm and Iíve been a Maxxis DHF dude, but open to suggestions given the 2.4Ē max tire size.
    Been looking at the WTB Breakout as Ciclistagonzo recommended a while back.

Thank.
    Good to hear you have a Zeus coming. I am on NOBL TR38 and am running Schwalbe Magic Mary Addix Orange front at 2.35 and Noby Nic Addix Blue at 2.35. I have been on Schwalbe for a long time and the new Addix tires are great and a huge improvement. The front MM tons of traction and rolls better then any "real" front tire I have been on. The rear NN has better traction then the old and def rolls better as well. Both have been wearing much better then the old version. I would highly recommend.

I have been on Maxxis specifically the DHF a few times as a front tire. It def has great traction, but to me it did not roll well. I am 50 so need all the help I can get haha.

As you know tires are like truck brands everybody has their favorite, but for me right now the above Schwalbe combo is working great in NorCal, and forget to mention, weight is very reasonable as well.

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Hey Internal and Bervin, thanks for the recommendations. Iíve actually got the Nobl TR38ís ordered, not the 33ís. Canít wait to get this thing together

No known cure
    Those numbers look good. Especially the 18.5" ST on the large.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Anyone here have the BB shell tapped for a T47 BB? Teresa says theyíre having problems getting the shell threaded and she has to wait for Sherwood to check it out next week. Iím assuming theyíve done this before on the Zeus. Any bigger riders, 200+ have any creak free time on a Zeus PF30 just in case she calls and says itíll have to be a PF? Iíve heard good things about the Praxis setup

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anyone here have the BB shell tapped for a T47 BB? Teresa says theyíre having problems getting the shell threaded and she has to wait for Sherwood to check it out next week. Iím assuming theyíve done this before on the Zeus. Any bigger riders, 200+ have any creak free time on a Zeus PF30 just in case she calls and says itíll have to be a PF? Iíve heard good things about the Praxis setup

I'm 190ish and have run the RWC thread together PF30 to GXP bb for many years with good luck. Have heard good things about the Praxis as well but have not tried it.

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Thanks. Teresa emailed me last night and said that Robert came in on Saturday and threaded the BB shell.

Iíll be at Waterdog
    She also said they may want me to ship my BB so they can install it. Wonder if the shock needs to be compressed a bit so the chain stays are slightly elevated to give room for the bottom bracket tool. Waiting to hear.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    She also said they may want me to ship my BB so they can install it. Wonder if the shock needs to be compressed a bit so the chain stays are slightly elevated to give room for the bottom bracket tool. Waiting to hear.
    You can install most of the BB with full engagement tools without preloading the frame. I ran the SRAM Adapaters for GXP BB for two years without any problems until the wave washer broke. I then switched to Shimano (Sorry Myke!) and I have the Praxis BB that Ventana installs on most of their complete bikes. VERY nice setup, collet style (where they thread together) creates a mechanical fitting out of the PF. Super quiet and smooth VERY happy with this setup. I'm rolling around at 230+.Zeus geometry change?-praxisshimano.jpg
    -Aaron G.

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Sounds like Teresa and Robert just wanted to install my King T47 bottom bracket out of an abundance of caution...they just want to make sure everything goes together perfectly before shipping it to me. Sending the BB to her today and hopefully Iíll have my frame by early next week

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Ready to hit the trails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zeus geometry change?-878b8831-d2a8-4879-8c77-5b02763ec004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    you got 29ers on that? 27+?
    breezy shade

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Nah...just 27.5x2.35s on chubby hoops

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I see. looking forward to your ride reports
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ready to hit the trails
    Looks sweet man, thanks for sharing...

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Took the new Zeus out for the maiden voyage tonight after work. The neighborhood trails are very low-flow and heavily rutted. Normally off camber, typically very tight and technical with constant elevation changes with very punchy climbs. Iím very used to riding these trails on my Ciclon and The Zeus immediately felt familiar, but climbs far better than Iíd expected. Easily climbs as good as any modern fancy carbon bike Iíve demoed in the last few years and even better than some. Iím very stoked with the new Zeus and Iím glad I grabbed a new Ventana.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zeus geometry change?-708b5b96-a34a-4272-93b5-cc142fe14aca.jpeg  

Zeus geometry change?-c2db447b-4993-4232-a465-e9ae70a7c9ee.jpeg  

Zeus geometry change?-3f34ce8d-3bfa-4bec-8756-c1a26f15e1c0.jpeg  

Zeus geometry change?-7b257961-1cbc-4659-9ce3-2c64b89465d3.jpeg  

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Done 7 or 8 neighborhood trail rides on the Zeus so far...planning to take it up the hill to Skeggs tomorrow. Still surprised by how well the bike climbs even without touching the climb switch. Still messing with the settings on the DB IL shock, but Iím appreciating the adjustability of it. So far only been riding it in the 140mm setting. Loving the bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zeus geometry change?-4377df74-1935-429e-ad20-b57bd4772f17.jpeg