Will Clown Shoes with Bud and Lou fit 170mm frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Will Clown Shoes with Bud and Lou fit 170mm frame?

Saw a thread somewhere that said yes.

I plan on running 1X or SS. Tubeless too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    yessir, they sure will. I'm running the same set up on my gordo. Recently threw on a set of Dilinger 5's, but prefer the aggressive lugs of the BUD/LOU for cold and deep snow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb View Post
    yessir, they sure will. I'm running the same set up on my gordo. Recently threw on a set of Dilinger 5's, but prefer the aggressive lugs of the BUD/LOU for cold and deep snow.
    Are you tubeless?

Kinda begs the question why they make the 190mm? Hub choices?

mtbr member
    because if you're running a full range of gears with two or three chainrings up front then you'd run into drivetrain problems....chain contact with a rear 5" tire. The 190 spacing option moves the cassette outward and remedies this.

tubeless....not on my fattie, haven't felt inclined to try it. Yet. But i have helped a couple pals make the switch and it was pretty straight forward. Orange seal is making an 80mm wide tape that is similar to stans yellow. Gorilla tape works too. I like installing tubeless using a tube first to set the tape up and also bead one half of the tire. Un bead half, remove tube, add sealant and then hopefully your air compressor can keep up. Removing the valve core helps.

Ventana Mountain Bikes
    Jan 2004
    yessir, they sure will.
    This is true unless you want to go 100/Bud/Lou/tubeless. This combo will not work well on a 170 spaced Gordo. We build the 190 spaced Gordos with a deeper, wider yoke to best accommodate the Clown Shoe, Bud/Lou, tubeless combo in 1x,2x and/or 3x configurations.
    SPG

"One lick from the lollipop of mediocrity and you suck forever" anonymous

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwood View Post
    This is true unless you want to go 100/Bud/Lou/tubeless. This combo will not work well on a 170 spaced Gordo. We build the 190 spaced Gordos with a deeper, wider yoke to best accommodate the Clown Shoe, Bud/Lou, tubeless combo in 1x,2x and/or 3x configurations.
    really.....the tire shape actually changes that much by going tubeless ? Can't wrap my head around that one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Is there a difference in Q factor between 170 and 190 if running 1X or SS?

mtbr member
    racefit, there should not be any differences in q factor, but hold out for sherwood's response. He'll probably correct me again. ; )

Ventana Mountain Bikes
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    Is there a difference in Q factor between 170 and 190 if running 1X or SS?

Q-Factor (chain stay width, where the pedal end of the crank swings by, is the same for both 170 and 190 (frame wise). The chain ring position and q-factor on the cranks, however, is wider by 20mm (10mm per side) on 190 vs 170 cranks.

With that said, a 170 crank will not fit on a 190 frame as the chain rings will not clear the yoke. A 190 crank will fit on either sized frame, but the pedals will be spaced out 20mm wider than they will with a 170 crank.
    SPG

Ventana Mountain Bikes
    Jan 2004
    really.....the tire shape actually changes that much by going tubeless ? Can't wrap my head around that one.
    Tubed tires, by design, require the stiffness of the tube to retain their shape and sidewall stiffness. When the tube is not present the sidewalls are allowed to stretch and, overall, the tire will expand in all dimensions under the same pressures.

This is especially evident with fat tires as the sidewalls are thinner, with less plies, to save weight. I have found when running tubed tires tubeless that I have needed to increase pressures in order to put back lost cornering stiffness once the tube is gone. This increased pressure expands the tire all the more. Many folks are quite happy running tubeless with tubed tires, but I am just not one of them.
    SPG

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So to summarize...100/Bud/Lou/Tubeless equals 190mm only, regardless of SS or 1X?

Ventana Mountain Bikes
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    So to summarize...100/Bud/Lou/Tubeless equals 190mm only, regardless of SS or 1X?
    Yep, 100/Bud/Lou = 190 rear. 65-80/Bud/Lou/tubes will work on 170 with SS and 1x drivetrains however.
    SPG