Ventana colors webpage- Mtbr.com
    Feeding your addiction

Ventana colors webpage

Here is a page that I posted to my site which may be helpful in choosing a frame color. In addition to the more commonly seen colors, there are some others which aren't seen as often but can be obtained without paying an upcharge.
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/ImageE...lors/index.htm

Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

Dec 2003

X5 geometry

Larry, what is the X5's geometry. I can't find it on the Ventana site and in searching the mtbr forums I struck out too. I've seen many posts on this bike, and everyone seems to rave about it. I've ridden an El Salt with Float RL, but came away thinking it needed a platform type shock on steeper climbs. I'm trying to build up a versatile bike that can be used for occassional racing, marathon rides/races, and of course trail and light freeriding. So far I'm comparing everything Im looking at to the HH100, as I know it's one of the best climbers. Am I asking for too much versatility out of the X5, i.e. is it more of a trail specific bike. Can you tell me the frame weight too, I'm looking for about a 24" top tube size with a 110mm or 120mm stem. I've read that this is one of the quickest handling 5" bikes, which appeals to me. The El Salt I road felt good geometry wise ( mostly in the HA), except for a slack seat angle and too short top tube. I don't know why Ventana chooses to go with such a slack seat angle, it doesn't really help to put more weight over the rear wheel as you have to slide the saddle forward to position your knees over the pedals correctly, eating up much of the top tube length. If I were to go to the largest size because of it, I would have a nearly 44" wheelbase!
    One last thing, do you plan to ever have a bike builder on your website?

Feeding your addiction
    Hi. Here are the specs from an older post....
    http://forums13.consumerreview.com/[email protected]/35
    One note, the fork spec is accounting for sag, so that's why it seems short for a 5" fork. The X-5 is definitely geared a little more toward the aggressive XC/light freeride end of the spectrum. But, if you feel like you're doing some stuff that may push the limit of the HH100 or others you're considering then the X-5 may be a good choice. I do agree that a stable platform shock improves the ride (especially for racing). Obviously, if you want that much versatility you'll make some sacrifices vs. a pure XC race bike. However, as far as 5" travel bikes go, the X-5 would be a good one to do it with. The good thing, like you said, is that it has a relatively steep head angle for a 5" bike. If you do it, then I'd get an adjustable travel fork like the Talas, and maybe even consider the adjustable travel option for the rear. Weight is about 6.75lbs for the medium, and about 7 for the large. There's a bigger jump in weight with the XL size, as there's an extra tube section that isn't on the smaller sizes. My XL frame is 7.5lbs w/ air shock.

Yeah, I have some major changes planned for the website (bike builder, QBP catalog interface, etc). With 2 kids and my own business though, finding the time to actually work on that is another thing altogether. Already burning the candle at both ends, but hopefully will get some stuff done on that soon.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

Bodhisattva
    "Yeah, I have some major changes planned for the website (bike builder, QBP catalog interface, etc). With 2 kids and my own business though, finding the time to actually work on that is another thing altogether. Already burning the candle at both ends, but hopefully will get some stuff done on that soon."

Hey Larry,
    You know where you can find help with that.

Squeak

Not dead yet, just playin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Hey Larry,
    You know where you can find help with that.

Squeak

Hey, count me in if you ever want any help. I'm a network/webpage geek on the weekdays..

op

11 is one louder than 10

X5 info for ya.

A few things you might be interested in.

I had a hammerhead, and while the X5 climbs well, it isn't the climber the hammerhead is. Seated, it's great, standing and hammering, it's just a different animal. By no means is it a bad climber, really, for 5 inches, it climbs incredibly with the Pro-Pedal or Romic.

As for the angles etc. You would need a large X5 to get the top tube you need, however the X5 also uses a 73.5 degree seattube, making the handling quicker also (which I like) The headtube is 70 with a 5 inch fork. I run my Talas around 4.5 most of the time and it handles great. The stiffness of the frame (incredible with double bearings) also helps it turn well.

In a normal trail riding situation, I'm generally quicker on a given loop on the X5 if I'm busting it out. However, given that same trail in a race I'd be faster on the Hammerhead. Reason being, that in a race situation quick bursts and the ability to accerate quickly and pass someone is more important, and the Hammerhead is better at that. The Hammerhead is also a quicker handling bike. I'd generalize the x5 as neutral, but keeping in mind that is a 5 inch bike is no small feat.

Also, my medium x5, with double bearings, float pro pedal (which makes a HUGE difference on the ventana rear end, I'm talking major differences in accleration). seat clamp and r.der hanger was 6lb, 12 oz.

Its a very fun bike.

Dec 2003
    All good points GG, and thanks Larry for pointing out the tradeoffs. I don't get how a guy your size GG can fit a frame smaller than I'm looking at, you must have been a BMX racer. What you said about the HH hit home. I often have caught or opened up a gap on fellow riders by accelerating hard out of turns, and I like to keep a good pace on the climbs often standing to crank it to the top with momentum. My best rides have been those with middle ring climbs on the way up, and descents with rollers and hard climbs at or near the end. It seems the HH is best suited for that type of riding and riding style. I'd actually be OK with an RX100 if they made the toptubes in more lengths.

11 is one louder than 10

Size, style etc.

Size wise, the 17 is perfect for me. I ride a 23 inch top tube generally.

I'm 5'10, and go about 200-210 (that's not a picture of me, just a picture that cracks me up).

If you stand and hammer a lot the Hammerhead is a better bike for that, frankly the X5 is overkill for me here in Michigan, though I love the stiffness. I had to sell my hammerhead, which was disapointing, but budgets didnt' allow for keeping it at the time. I really, really wish I could own both.