Ventana 29er content w/ lots o' pics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ventana 29er content w/ lots o' pics

I proudly introduce a couple of Sherwoods latest 29" products.....the ElComandante, the Padrino, and a couple of the new 29er forks all showed up here on friday which made it really difficult to get out of here on time. As usual Ventana provides us with top quality paint & unmatched aluminum welds.

The Elcomandante: Sherwood ..... can you explain the need of having bottle openers on both the frame and the fork. ? Are you assuming most of us Ventana owners have a drinking problem
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nwmtb; 01-22-2006 at 01:57 PM.

mtbr member

29er forks

steel forks done very nicely....i thought you only knew how to weld aluminum ? Good job......i'd like to see a zip tie mount at the top of the left fork blade.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    how dare you Chad!? you know I am weak.....

mtbr member

El Padrino

I really want one of these to add to my own stable of bikes. The El Padrino minus the decal set.
    Last edited by nwmtb; 01-22-2006 at 02:14 PM.

Powered by ice cream.
    Gorgeous!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Gorgeous!
    what predictions do you have now smarty pants!?

Powered by ice cream.

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    what predictions do you have now smarty pants!?
    ?????

For your future purchases?

mtbr member

Geometry charts

For reference sake.....i'll add the links to the geometry charts.

The El Comandante Geometry Chart

The El Padrino Geometry Chart

later, Chad

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    guess it doesn't really matter.......yours, mine....we seem to be following in each others footsteps lately

Powered by ice cream.
    I predict, the X-5 will be on the chopping block despite your numerous claims to the contrary, and that you will be purchasing an El Capitan. That will occur in a year of so.

First, you will possibly dump the niner for El Commandante.

It's just a frame swap, and you could probably get most of the $975 out of the Niner frame sale.

E

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb
    E.....you related to nastradomus ?

damn good predictions !
    phooey to the both of you

mtbr member
    I predict, the X-5 will be on the chopping block despite your numerous claims to the contrary, and that you will be purchasing an El Capitan. That will occur in a year of so.

First, you will possibly dump the niner for El Commandante.

It's just a frame swap, and you could probably get most of the $975 out of the Niner frame sale.

E

damn good predictions !

Powered by ice cream.
    I wish I knew what length (a-c) fork gives that HA?

The geometry chart has fork offset in the space for a-c.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

Weak...........................

how dare you Chad!? you know I am weak.....

............. me too! Sweet lookin frames but I think I've depleted my bike purchase budget for awhile buying two Ventana frames in the past year! I really could see a 29er in my future though!!!!!!! TIG.

TR
    Angry bunny
    You wont be disappointed with your El Commandante.
    Just got back from a local 12 hour night race and took mine despite the rest of my team riding geared.
    The El Commandante absolutely rocked.

Powered by ice cream.
    I changed my Sig to help you (and me) keep things in perspective!

Ventana Mountain Bikes
    Jan 2004
    Sherwood ..... can you explain the need of having bottle openers on both the frame and the fork. ? Are you assuming most of us Ventana owners have a drinking problem
    The"beverage" opener is provided on the fork for those aftermarket customers who don't have the preparedness of having one on the back of their bike. But if you think it is for some other reason, I won't argue with you. As a general rule, I never pick fights with people wearing foggy/crusty beer goggles.
    SPG

"One lick from the lollipop of mediocrity and you suck forever" anonymous

Ventana Mountain Bikes
    Jan 2004
    steel forks done very nicely....i thought you only knew how to weld aluminum ? Good job......i'd like to see a zip tie mount at the top of the left fork blade.
    I made steel bikes long before I started building in aluminum. And I am working on that top of the left leg zip tie mount. Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by sherwood; 01-22-2006 at 07:55 PM.
    SPG

"One lick from the lollipop of mediocrity and you suck forever" anonymous

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwood
    I made steel bikes long before I started building in aluminum.

Thanks for the reply, and history lesson Sherwood, you wouldn't have any of these artifacts laying around would you ? IMO...... It would be pretty cool to see some of your earlier work.

later, Chad

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    I changed my Sig to help you (and me) keep things in perspective!
    Great...pull out the Luke 12:15 card on me!

In terms of a loophole, what would Luke say if I actually "replaced" one of my bikes with the El Comandante since that would not really be "adding" to my posessions
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 01-22-2006 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typo

Powered by ice cream.
    Great...pull out the Luke 12:15 card on me!

In terms of a loophole, what would Luke say if I actually "replaced" one of my bikes with the El Comandante since that would not really be "adding" to my posessions
    I see you already had it memorized.

Luke didn't say it though.

You would probably be okay on the "abundance of possessions part", but might have a little problem on the "all forms of greed" part.

Know your own heart, and possess your possessions, not the other way around.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    I see you already had it memorized.

Luke didn't say it though.

You would probably be okay on the "abundance of possessions part", but might have a little problem on the "all forms of greed" part.

Know your own heart, and possess your possessions, not the other way around.
    good point...duh...of course Luke did not say it....so then he certainly won't mind! maybe I should see if my pastor mountain bikes and can give some hand references to those parts of the Bible.

in all honestly, my focus this year is on riding more and harder and do some decent races and not get embarassed too much in doing so.

Sep 2005

damn good predictions !
    LOL! Good one Chad.

No, that's not phonetic
    Two questions. The rear tire clearance seems very tight. I know there are basically no real 29er tires, but how much room is there for future big meats? Secondly, is the rear der hanger replaceable?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Man....I cant wait till Interbike

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Two questions. The rear tire clearance seems very tight. I know there are basically no real 29er tires, but how much room is there for future big meats? Secondly, is the rear der hanger replaceable?
    Go here to check out tire clearance: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=140017. You can kind of get a idea from the pics of Shannon's "Pinky".

The hanger is replaceable.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy

Just walked out to my garage and measure the tyre clearance for you.
    I have the same size frame as Shannon and am currently running the same tyres (2.1" Maxxis Ignitors).
    There is 1/4" clearance either side measuring from the outside edge of the lug to the chainstay.
    Total width between the chainstays at that point is approx 2.75".
    Last edited by TR; 01-22-2006 at 09:49 PM.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Chad, Sherwood, Paul.....do you know the weight of say a large frame.....and for a fork? that would be excellent info!

Having a nice day!
    And so it begins...

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar
    And so it begins...
    what? can't i just be curious?

Sep 2005

Don't listen to em' Fo!

Chad, Sherwood, Paul.....do you know the weight of say a large frame.....and for a fork? that would be excellent info!
    All those hecklers are just jealous.

Fork: 950 grams
    El Comandante frame 20": 4.1 lbs.
    El Padrino frame 20": 3.7 lbs.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    All those hecklers are just jealous.

Fork: 950 grams
    El Comandante frame 20": 4.1 lbs.
    El Padrino frame 20": 3.7 lbs.
    thanks Man. You hear that Lonestar?!

Thanks for the weights....very, very nice weights. I assume the weight of the El Comandante is with the EBB?

by the way, should be confirming the Sea Otter stuff up this week.....my wife has a test Wednesday and no doubt she will do well and when she is in a good mood I will talk to her about finalizing the plans so make sure you got yours for me to ride!!!!!!

Sep 2005

Speaking of your orange El Com TR.

I have the picture of your El Com and also one of Shannon's Pinky in my Photoshop. I lust over them constantly. First I tried to change the color of yours to black (mine will be black). That didn't work out to good. Then I tried it with Shannon's. I thought it would be easier because he has a black Reba like I'll have. That didn't work either. I guess I'll just have to wait for mine,...tick tock tick tock. I can't wait anymore! I want it now, now, now! I think that 12 hour race report put me over the top. Thanks Mate I needed that.

Sep 2005

Oops!

thanks Man. You hear that Lonestar?!

Thanks for the weights....very, very nice weights. I assume the weight of the El Comandante is with the EBB?

by the way, should be confirming the Sea Otter stuff up this week.....my wife has a test Wednesday and no doubt she will do well and when she is in a good mood I will talk to her about finalizing the plans so make sure you got yours for me to ride!!!!!!
    Excuse me. Those were 18" weights, sorry. That was back before the name calling. When I was still undecided about the frames. Sherwood and I weighed the Interbike frames which were 18s, my bad.

I'm already working on my boss Rich. He will be down there also. So we got to plan ahead and make sure there are enough mechanics at the shop. In case I don't make it I will make sure the new El Com makes it just for you. You can even let Aqua ride it.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    I have the picture of your El Com and also one of Shannon's Pinky in my Photoshop. I lust over them constantly. First I tried to change the color of yours to black (mine will be black). That didn't work out to good. Then I tried it with Shannon's. I thought it would be easier because he has a black Reba like I'll have. That didn't work either. I guess I'll just have to wait for mine,...tick tock tick tock. I can't wait anymore! I want it now, now, now! I think that 12 hour race report put me over the top. Thanks Mate I needed that.
    Paulie
    You will not be disappointed regardless of the colour.
    I am still buzzing from the Dusk to Dawn. There is some very sweet, fast, swoopy singletrack at the back of that course to reward you for the grind on much of the rest of it.
    I nailed that singletrack 4 out of 5 times and I am sure that the El Comandante had as big a smile as I did on every lap.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Cant help you with the frame weight but my El Comandante came in at 26.2lbs when I weighed her the other day.
    This was with my alloy bar and bar ends along with the Reba fork.
    Could easily lose some weight by getting rid of the Thomson stuff (but why would I??) along with a lighter wheelset (currently XT hubs and Ritchey OCR Girder rims) and saddle (currently WTB Rocket V Race).

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

El Comandante info........

.................... needed ! Can you use a rear der. and run it 1x 9 speed and use the same hub( wheel set)and convert it to single speed ? Also can you use a 80mm or 100 mm travel fork on it ? Say a Reba would it handle better with it set at 80 or 100mm of travel? My guess is its designed for a 80mm travel fork. TIG.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    .................... needed ! Can you use a rear der. and run it 1x 9 speed and use the same hub( wheel set)and convert it to single speed ? Also can you use a 80mm or 100 mm travel fork on it ? Say a Reba would it handle better with it set at 80 or 100mm of travel? My guess is its designed for a 80mm travel fork. TIG.

I believe you can get a hanger and cable stop brazed on if you like (pretty sure VentanaOZ told me it could be done).
    I am running a 100mm Reba on mine at the moment and am very happy with it that way. Choppers the front end a little but I cannot say it feels slow or anything. VentanaOZ and Singlespeedscott are also running theirs the same over here.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    yes....you can do it that way. I am "hypothetically" looking into that as well if "hypothetically" I were to own one some day.

a great option would be to have a rear wheel built with a cassette hub and with gears, business as usual. you would use spacers when running it with a single cog. The only creativity as far as I know is how to best set up the chainring in terms of inside and outside (eg, bashguard) restraints on the chain itself....I leave that to the more mechanically inclined though I know there are many options to do it.

as for the fork recommendations, I am not sure what the noted head angle on the V website assumed (80 or 100mm). anyone?

TR
    Angry bunny
    ............ the Blue and the Orange El Comandantes both look awesome ! If I were to "hypothetically" get one I think I'd go with orange for a change ! Thanks TR and Foshizzle for the input ! Now I got to sell my old bike stuff to make room and get funds for a third Ventana ! Hypothetically that is ! TIG.

The Orange rocks!!!!

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

Darn................

............ the Blue and the Orange El Comandantes both look awesome ! If I were to "hypothetically" get one I think I'd go with orange for a change ! Thanks TR and Foshizzle for the input ! Now I got to sell my old bike stuff to make room and get funds for a third Ventana ! Hypothetically that is ! TIG.

mtbr member

a/c

TIG.....sherwood designed these intended steel forks with an axle to crown of 483mm, also the same length missing from the geometry charts.

A Rock Shox Reba in the 80mm mode has an A/C of 495mm, so you should be perfectly fine with the fork in the 80mm setting. And actually once you factor sag into the realm of things, the Reba in 100mm mode should be perfectly fine also. Just for reference the Maverick SC32 has the same A/C of 495mm at 3.5" of travel.

As for the mod's ... you can get the ElComandante with rear der routing. Just specify it at the time of ordering. No problem with running a standard hanger too.

later, Chad

contains quinine
    I really want one of these to add to my own stable of bikes. The El Padrino minus the decal set.
    You going to make the jump to ss and 29 at the same time? What sort of cosmic alignment did I miss?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    so TR....what do you think of the Orange?

TR
    Angry bunny
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............it's OK I guess.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

Sounds great.................

TIG.....sherwood designed these intended steel forks with an axle to crown of 483mm, also the same length missing from the geometry charts.

A Rock Shox Reba in the 80mm mode has an A/C of 495mm, so you should be perfectly fine with the fork in the 80mm setting. And actually once you factor sag into the realm of things, the Reba in 100mm mode should be perfectly fine also. Just for reference the Maverick SC32 has the same A/C of 495mm at 3.5" of travel.

As for the mod's ... you can get the ElComandante with rear der routing. Just specify it at the time of ordering. No problem with running a standard hanger too.

later, Chad

.... it be nice to have the EBB for converting to SS ! Yet, have the ability to use a rear der.! Thanks Chad ! TIG.

May 2005
    Got a price on that rigid fork?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    FoShizzle - You should get white and ask Sherwood not to put the decals on......just do a bait and switch......the wife doesn't have to know.....Momms the word. I'm thinking about doing that with my white C'Dale road bike for a Ventana Cross bike....bait and switch....she will never know. You know you want one

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbike
    Got a price on that rigid fork?
    Msrp is $250.

Sep 2005
    And what was your new years resolution TIG? I can't remember.

mtbr member

Completed bike pics and quick spin

Hot Damn fellas....... i've got to admit that i haven't had this much fun building a bike in quite a while. Thanks for the opportunity BOG, your new bike was a blast...both to build and then to test ride.

Just a few noteable points that may be of interest.

The Weight - 21.5 #

The test ride, it was just a quick jaunt down some fast dirt roads littered with washboard, and so i didn't waste time running the bike through a nasty set of bumps, my initial impression with the bump absorbtion was WOW...this is aluminum ? I imagine the long steel fork blades and Jones Hbar helped soak up a good portion, but the rear end held well also. The frame felt so uncharacteristic of aluminum, it felt much more lively than i anticipated. The lack of gears and drivetrain made for a very quiet and smooth ride. The Mutanoraptors felt right at home on the dirt roads. In a nutshell...SOULFUL ALUMINUM.

Tire clearence, while i didn't try a set of EXI's i do imagine that they could fit.. 10mm of room on each side in the rear, and tons of room up front. I plan on taking off the front 2.1 Mutanoraptor immediately and replacing with a 2.3 EXiwolf.

PICS:
    Last edited by nwmtb; 01-24-2006 at 09:13 PM.

mtbr member

drivetrain pics

drive train pics:

Sep 2005

That's nice Chad.

Me next, me next.

mtbr member

Looks great chad!!!

looking forward to trying it out here in the frozen tundra of minnesota!!! Looks fast!

SingleTrackSal

Ferrous, mmmmmmm...........

Is anyone else wondering how sick these bikes would be (don't get me wrong, they're already drop-dead gorgeous) if they were 853 or True Temper OX?

I'm a skinny guy and aluminum just beats the tar outta me....

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackSal
    Is anyone else wondering how sick these bikes would be (don't get me wrong, they're already drop-dead gorgeous) if they were 853 or True Temper OX?

I'm a skinny guy and aluminum just beats the tar outta me....
    I was concerned about going from the steel frame of my Surly 1x1 to the aluminium El Comandante but can honestly say that I can feel little difference between the 2.
    The El Comandante rides great.

TR
    Angry bunny
    The Weight - 21.5 #
    Sweet looking ride there Bog.
    You will not be disappointed I can assure you.

Not trying to call BS on this weight by any means but I am trying to work out where you saved nearly 4 pounds over my El Comandante.
    Areas I could see that weight would have been saved are:

- Wheels (240s laced to VXC vs XT laced to Ritchey Girder OCR
    - Brakes (Magura Louise vs Avid Juicy 5's)????
    - Fork (Ventana rigid vs Rockshox Reba Race)
    - ENO cranks and ?? cogs/chainrings vs Shimano cranks and Surly cogs chainrings

Where else??
    What size is yours??

The rest of the build looks pretty similar to mine with Thomson seatpost and stem along with WTB Rocket V Race saddle.

I have added an alloy bar and bar ends since the pic was taken if that makes a difference.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    Quote Originally Posted by TR
    I was concerned about going from the steel frame of my Surly 1x1 to the aluminium El Comandante but can honestly say that I can feel little difference between the 2.
    I would not want a thing changed........and as such, I WANT ONE NOW I just aint buying the whole frame material thing myself in terms of some magical difference that we are supposed to feel. Perhaps for forks but where I noticed that difference has nothing to do with material differences. I have had 3 rigid steel forks now....2 of them 29ers and I could tell a bit of a difference in compliance between the 2 29er steel forks but then again, the designs were completely different which is what I attribute it to.

mtbr member

actual weight

Not trying to call BS on this weight by any means but I am trying to work out where you saved nearly 4 pounds over my El Comandante.
    Areas I could see that weight would have been saved are:

- Wheels (240s laced to VXC vs XT laced to Ritchey Girder OCR
    - Brakes (Magura Louise vs Avid Juicy 5's)????
    - Fork (Ventana rigid vs Rockshox Reba Race)
    - ENO cranks and ?? cogs/chainrings vs Shimano cranks and Surly cogs chainrings

Where else??
    What size is yours??

Was incorrect a little bit, i just reweighed Bog's bike WITHOUT pedals. It actually came to 21# . Verified with 2 scales.

the fork alone almost saves 2#, the DT240 wheels...my guess would be the majority of the remaining difference.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Was incorrect a little bit, i just reweighed Bog's bike WITHOUT pedals. It actually came to 21# . Verified with 2 scales.

the fork alone almost saves 2#, the DT240 wheels...my guess would be the majority of the remaining difference.
    Really???
    I am still trying to find 2.4lb after accounting for the fork weight difference. I know the XT hubs are heavy but I would not have thought that there would have been 2.4lbs or just over 1kg difference between them and the DT/VXC's.
    Will be interested to see what difference my rigid fork makes.
    Perhaps my scales are out??? Mind you it is a bathroom scale I am using.

My bike comes in at 25.35lb.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Again.
    I am not calling BS.
    I am just interested is all.
    What size is that frame??

mtbr member
    Again.
    I am not calling BS.
    I am just interested is all.
    What size is that frame??

just thought you'd like to see proof

this is the 18" frame.

are you going to try a rigid fork on yours ?

TR
    Angry bunny
    are you going to try a rigid fork on yours ?
    Yep.
    And maybe some lighter wheels.

SingleTrackSal

Really?

Well, I appreciate your feedback TR as I find myself drawn to these two frames, but being a hardtail, and my only bike, my next frame has to be kind enough for epics all the time and I wanna make sure I guess. Only way to tell is to build one up....

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackSal
    Well, I appreciate your feedback TR as I find myself drawn to these two frames, but being a hardtail, and my only bike, my next frame has to be kind enough for epics all the time and I wanna make sure I guess. Only way to tell is to build one up....
    I hope it will be OK too!!!!
    I plan to complete a 6, 12 and 24 hour (4 man team for the 12 and 24 hour) along with 2 x 100km events on mine this year.

Dec 2005

Whoa that El Padrino is purdy!

RedBarn, When you gonna finish the "Godfather?" I was happy to see the pictures posted. What was your impression of those fancy handlebars on the El Commandante?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leithema
    RedBarn, When you gonna finish the "Godfather?" I was happy to see the pictures posted. What was your impression of those fancy handlebars on the El Commandante?

whoa....look who's here !

The Padrino is getting close. As for the bars that we used on the ElComandante.....personally i really like the Hbar , it took a little while to figure out the stem length and height, but i think i've got it narrowed down to where it needs to be. Using the Fit Stem took alot of the guess work out of it. But anyway..... the bars are designed to be very ergonomic....i find them comfortable, you can read more about them on the link above.

Shifter options are limited though. It kinda seems like either a dual control lever or a set of Pauls Thumbies are the best route.

Lots of handlebar options out there these days.

later

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

Decisions , Decisions .................

............darn its hard for me to decide the best option to go 29er !! If I went with the EL Capitan , I would probably sell my 04 Salt to help pay for the cost which I would hate to do but maybe a ride or two on the El Capitan would cure this ! I still have the 26" wheel La Bruja which I won't depart with "ever" ! If I went with the El Commandante , I could keep my Salt and sell all my surplus components and a couple of older bikes ( I keep around for my out of town friends to ride mostly ) ! How many El Capitan owners are more satisfied with the performance of there new ride compared to 26" wheel frames such as 5 spots, Saltamontes, etc? On another note do the larger wheels on hardtail 29er's such as the El Commandante "really" soften the blows of going over stuff ? I have a hard time believing this since I rode hardtails with 26" wheels for years ! Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about owning or least trying a Ventana 29er ! TIG.