mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thoughts on El Chucho

Does anyone have any hands-on experience of the El Chucho? I'm a Turner guy and this bike seems in some respects to be 5 Spot-ish with a 69 deg. head angle and 5.5" of travel. Seems like an interesting combination but the option to use 29" or 26" seems a little weird.

I have a line on a great deal for a buddy but wanted some feedback on this frame. No opportunity to test this but the discount may make this worth the risk.

Proud lame eBiker
    I'm not sure what you're saying about the 'option' of a 26 or 29er? It runs a 26" rear with a 29" front wheel.

As for the bike....it is a wonderful fun bike to rail. I had an El Salt before this. Ran it in the 4" rocker variety for a while, and tried the 5" rockers too. But after a few test rides on the Chucho last year at Dirt Demo/Vegas, I was sold.
    I've got two sets of wheels for it, one set a racelight setup that I'll throw on for race day, and then a heavier set of 2.35 tyres/Flow Rims that I'll run every day in and out no matter where I'm riding.

I had a first Generation Bruja, 6" travel bike. I used that as my xc bike everywhere and loved it. Super stiff and handled everything I could throw at it.
    I 'upgraded' to an El Salt thinking that I wanted more of a racier bike, but after a few years I was yearning for my old bruja again. Which had been taken out of the lineup by then. Damnit!!
    The El Chucho comes very close to how that old Bruja felt to me. But better because it climbs easier. Same handling characteristics though. Balanced and smooth.

So yeah, tell your buddy to get that Chucho! He'll enjoy it for sure!!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    The El Chucho comes very close to how that old Bruja felt to me. But better because it climbs easier. Same handling characteristics though. Balanced and smooth.

So yeah, tell your buddy to get that Chucho! He'll enjoy it for sure!!

My exact sentiments from my time on it.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=461140
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Good Feedback

Thanks for the thoughts. From a quick read of the Ventana site I thought that the bike could carry a 26" or a 29" wheel - didn't realize it was 29" on the front and 26" on the back...my bad.

That configuration is pretty unusual. How does the bike feel in the twistys? From my limited time on a 29er I found that it felt slower, less maneuverable than my 26" bike. Does the smaller wheel on the back of the Chucho help with this?

How about climbing? My buddy will be using the bike mainly for XC and light AM riding. Most of the locations that we ride have some pretty steep climbs but relatively short - no more than 1000 ft (distance) max.

Thanks

***Edit***

Just read the post and link from Ciclistagonzo - great review, answered my questions. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

well ya!

you bet it's faster in the twistes ... shorter wheelebase than a 29er ... riders weight is biased rearward/longer center to front which is why i switch from a El Rey to the Chucho ... making the downhill steeps super comfy ... wow what a great machine ... if one rides to go up , stay with a 4" fork ... i ride to go down so i use a 5" ( white brothers 135 fluid ) ... i recommend a 15 or 20mm front axle to complament the frame ...

desert dweller
    I loved the the Chucho. It has the quick handling and acceleration of my Salty -- but rolled over things even better with the large front wheel. I'm thinking it may be the bike that replaces my Salty when the time comes.

mbb

Members who have read this thread: 0