Terremoto Failures- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Terremoto Failures

any of you guys had your El Terremoto give up the ghost? i've got about 8000 mi. on mine & figure it can't last much longer. if so, where are the likely weak spots?

Ciclistogonzo? you there, somewhere?
    breezy shade

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    I haven't heard of any particular spots to worry about on Tmoto's they were fairly overbuilt. El Salt has one still that has to be about the oldest one I know of other than yours. He hasn't mentioned any issues.

The only things I've heard of happening had been the seattube failures just below the rocker pivot that a few of the PRE- in-house heat treat frames had. Hence the reason V brought that in house.

But as you know Alu has a fatigue-life, I would check usual suspects. Head tube juncture, seattube/downtube junction etc. look for fine lines etc that my indicate a crack is starting. If not, ride on! I still ride my '01 Bruja, and my '04 Toro etc. etc.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    thanks for the reply. i've been keeping an eye on it for a year or so. seems to be holding tight.
    that El Salt guy doesn't ride his anymore does he? didn't he move on to another bike builder? how could he do such a thing?!?
    breezy shade

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    I think you are confusing El Salt with mtnbkr4life. El Salt still has his Saltimontes and Terremoto's and rides them.

4life never owned a Tmoto, he had a ciclon and then started an Alpino build and then ended up with a custom 650B Hardtail that I think he still rides along with his other bike.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    I think you are confusing El Salt with mtnbkr4life. El Salt still has his Saltimontes and Terremoto's and rides them.

4life never owned a Tmoto, he had a ciclon and then started an Alpino build and then ended up with a custom 650B Hardtail that I think he still rides along with his other bike.

Hey now, don't say that about me! ;-) I'm around and riding a couple of times a week (plus "trainer time"), I've just not been on the board much lately.

Yes, I ride my El Salt (its my 3rd frame in oh man, almost 18 years?) and my T-Moto. Mine is an early one. I ride it when the trail calls for it. I've been drooling over a Zeus for about 3 years now, but money has been tight. So the "old dogs" keep on spinning.

Yes, I've had a few "V's", and they've all given long lives. But, anyone (even Sherwood) will tell you, nothing is forever. Aluminum, steel, Ti, Carbon will have fatigue. Like Ciclistagonzo said, keep an eye on the usual spots for cracks and such. I do (its the only way I'm going to talk my wife into a new "V", is if I crack my El Salt or T-Moto!).

Ole!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

No known cure
    My 2010 Ciclon has seen so many enduro races, I've lost count. At least four Ashland 12 Mile Super D's, lost count of the Downiville Downhills, Whole Enchiladas, Keysville Downhills and Cannell, I live next door to Snow Summit Bike Park, many Mammoth trips, twenty something trips to Sedona, ect. Sherwood builds a damn fine bike. Lol, I just remembered, the rear triangle is nine years old. The original was toast from hitting a dirt bike head on at full speed. I don't wash it either. That's puke on the down tube from a bout of heatstroke two years ago riding Just Outstanding in Kernville. I spent the rest of the day in the ER.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terremoto Failures-20150719_142709.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Awesome to hear it is being ridden hard.

Corvette yellow right? I reckon I remember when you got this. Great colour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Awesome to hear it is being ridden hard.

Corvette yellow right? I reckon I remember when you got this. Great colour.
    I want my next Ventana to be Lemas Blue to match my 69.

Terremoto Failures-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Just Outstanding is in Greenhorn (Wofford Heights) not Kernville.
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post

he got a turner flux with dw link.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Mike Vandeman Sucks Dong

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    any of you guys had your El Terremoto give up the ghost? i've got about 8000 mi. on mine & figure it can't last much longer. if so, where are the likely weak spots?

Ciclistogonzo? you there, somewhere?
    Mine died a long while back...seat tube/top tube junction was minor, but the HD chainstay was also cracked about half way through...

That is really riding hard in central texas...we have rocks, roots, drops, sharp turns and I'm no light weight! I miss the dope ass paint jobs from SG and company - those are unrivaled!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Mine died a long while back...seat tube/top tube junction was minor, but the HD chainstay was also cracked about half way through...

That is really riding hard in central texas...we have rocks, roots, drops, sharp turns and I'm no light weight! I miss the dope ass paint jobs from SG and company - those are unrivaled!
    ===========================================

did you have the "taco" gusset @ the seat/top tube?
    how about the chainstay? which side failed? driveside? did it have the yoke hollow filled in w/a full plate welded in?

ya, Ventana paint can't be beat. a friend recently sent in his broken Knolly Endorphin & had a custom Grinch Green w/ a gold tint done. Beauty
    breezy shade