mtbr member
    Aug 2004

tell me more about the el chamuco

hey all you el chamuco riders.

im looking for my first FS rig and have been researching and reading and testing lbs bikes for a few weeks now. (see original post....original post )

im pretty sure im leaning toward the heckler type of bike. but recently i ran across the el chamuco on this site. my main concern is that i need a bike that i can get rowdy with but still XXC (extreme cross country) with. i.e. climb, technical stuff, just ride along.

ive recently rode a bullit of "kristian's" whom i met on this site, and i must say it was great on the down hills, but what a @#$% going up! (sorry k). many have recommended the heckler and my lbs is supposedly gonna build one up for me to test.

anyway, the el chamuco is looking pretty good as i read more and more and i have a few specific questions:

how much $$$??
    how heavy
    how available (been reading alot about the "waits" for the heckler)
    and
    how's it really do?
    btw, how do you pronounce it?
    ell sha-moo-ko?
    ell cha-moo-so?
    what?

(does it mean something in spanish??)

anyone from colorado springs got one?

more info please!

thanks
    mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

what does it mean....?

from another post, sherwood, i think...

"El Chamuco..."the Devil"...should be red shouldn't it?"

hmmmmm

i thought el diablo meant devil?

which is it

Bodhisattva
    Will let you know more after the weekend.

I have one ride on Larry's Chamuco & really liked it. It's not built lite (Romic, big wheels, Z150) but climbed well and descents like a cadillac riding over pillows. Smooth.

I'm taking it up to Vail this weekend & will have more feedback soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

got a reply from larry himself from my colorado front range post

thanks for the input, waiting to hear more.

larry told me i could ride his, where are you located? im in colorado springs

how is the romic, and how does it compare to the 5th element coil. im certain i wanna go with a coil rear, but just not sure what. the more i research the more im thinking ill have a bike built rather than an off the shelf model, probably more $$ but as i research, im finding that most end up upgrading or building anyways, so thats what im thinking. i probably need to repost my origianl issues and an update on what ive learned since then and tell more of what im looking for, huh?

anyways, thanks

mike

mtbr member

nice consideration ...

how much $$$??

between $1400 - $1600

how heavy

depending on your parts selection..probably between 29-35 lbs

how available (been reading alot about the "waits" for the heckler)

depending on the dealer 2-4 week wait ... ( i've got the close-out 2002's on blow-out, and in stock )

and
    how's it really do?

it's a heavy duty trail bike, that can take a good amount of punishment. It can climb very well, as many sigle-pivot bikes can. It may not climb super-fast, but it can pick it's way up the steepest of trails. It shines most on technical trails, and it gives a huge grin on the downhills. Make sure you get this frame w/ the SUPER-Link, it adds tons of lateral support.

btw, how do you pronounce it?
    ell sha-moo-ko?
    ell cha-moo-so?

kind of in between the two el-cha-moo-ko

(does it mean something in spanish??)

hhhmmmm, you got me there.

anyone from colorado springs got one?

keep your eyes peeled on the trail..i'm sure they are out there. If you don't feel like waiting try driving up to Loveland to visit Mountain High Cyclery ... Larry sells lot's of Ventana's, and probably has a ElChamuco in his store.

hope this helps a little.

later, chad

Bodhisattva
    I'm right around the corner from Larrry in Loveland.

I haven't ridden the 5th coil, but the Romic feels nice. But I'd like into the new Fox DHX.

I'm a self-avowed bike snob and believe that a custom build is better than an off-the-shelf purchase in most cases. The Heckler is a nice frame for sure, but if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks then the Chamuco is the way to go if you want a 6" monopivot. I agree that the superlink makes an already stiff frame even stiffer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

El Chamuco

The Name means little Devil, Kind of the spanich version of a playful cherub or the like, basicly a more playful trickster as opposed to El Diablo being the devil we all associate with.

Bodhisattva
    Mike,

Got 3 days in on El Chamuco this weekend. Two in Vail, one in Loveland on Devil's Backbone. The first day in Vail was Meadow Mtn which, if you're not familiar, is a long fireroad climb & 25 minutes of pristine twisty singletrack. The second day we climbed up to Eagle's Nest (top of Gondola) & took the DH race trails down.
    I had only one ride on the little red devil before this weekend and I forgot how much I love this bike. Larry has his built heavy, a lot heavier than I would build it, but it's also built for maximum fun. No problem climbing the fireroads or the tech stuff on the Backbone. Suspension induced pedal feedback is minimal but not as smooth as my Horst linked-Titus. Still, it climbs quite well in large part due to its stiffness. A few times I was able to clear climbing lines on El Chamuco that would require a lot more finesse with my Titus. The bike is just so darned stiff that it plows over anything in its way if the legs can deliver the power. In contrast, I need to more carefully pick my lines with my Titus although the Titus is still a better all-around climber.

Descents & drops is where El Chamuco shines. It's just been grin city. The Z150 fork is a perfect complement to this frame and it just devours obstacles & drops. On Devil's backbone there's a 3 foot drop that I usually finesse through on my Titus. But El Chamuco is confidence inspiring & I flew off it at full speed without a second thought and the landing was as soft as a down pillow.

This one might be joining my stable with the new Manitou Nixon up front and a few lighter parts. I think 29-30# is easily achievable yet can still be done with tough parts. Larry & I are gonna see if we can rig up a DHX shock to compare it to the Romic.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member

good review squeak

You've sold me on one !!! Sounds like you were having a blast.

later, Chad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

thanks squeaky!

yea, i talked to larry, he's a fur piece north of me and im debating whether to make the trek. but im sure it will be worth it. sounds like a great bike, im really interested in learning more and about how to build one if i go with this frame.

mike