PF30 BB on El Capitan- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

PF30 BB on El Capitan

I like the El Capitan but I'm not too sure about PF30 BB. Does anyone having creaking noises with the PF30 BB? Are PF30 BB more high maintenance than standard threaded BB?

Unfit Norwegian
    Some claim that, but I haven't experienced any trouble. A couple of manufacturers make PF30 Bottom Brackets that thread together inside the BB shell, which should eliminate most problems. (Hope, E13, etc..) I have an E13 on my Ciclon ATM, but I don't know anything about the durability of the bearings yet. I don't think you could go wrong with a Chris King BB with 24mm adapters and a Shimano Hollowtech II crank either. I'd say this is problem that is worst on the Internet.

Proud lame eBiker
    Wheels Manufacturing PressFit 30 to Shimano Bottom Bracket with Angular Contact Bearings

Also make them for SRAM GXP cranks.

Best option I've used in the shop. The cups thread together. Nice tight interface. No noise! About $90-100 very well spent. Have customers running them for over a year with no noise and bearings running smooth still.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Had a creaky SRAM PF30 for a couple of months and replaced it on my Zeus with a Chris King PF30. Have not had a single creak since...

CEO Product Failure
    Built my Ciclon in July 2014 with a King PF30 and SRAM XO cranks. Logged 2200 miles on it July-November. The BB was silent from the start. When new, the PF30's bearings were a bit tight--slow rolling. By mid-August, they were broke in and spinning smoothly.

Side note: in October the driveside crankarm broke. SRAM warrantied it and replaced it within 24 hours. Its the only carbon fiber component on my bike.