Bodhisattva

Paging Andy, Scott@goride & other Chamuco peeps

Could use a bit of advice...

Have narrowed down my choice to either an X-5 or El Chamcuo.
    I've demoed both and liked them both a lot. Got 4 rides on the x-5 but only 1 on the Chamuco. Keeping my Hammerhead and looking for a complementary trailbike for the rougher stuff. I'm by no means a freerider and my wheels rarely get more than 3 feet off the ground, but I ride aggressively through the rocks and will take the smaller jumps.

I'm leaning towards the medium Chamuco but am planning on committing an act of heresy and swapping the Romic for either an AVA Float or a 3-way. In either case I would then have PUSH customize for me. The AVA & 3-way should provide a more linear coil-like stroke which should suit the Chamuco's rising rate nicely. Up front I'd put a Maverick which should bring the effective HA to a more all-around worthy 69.

I really like the X-5 too. I think it's only drawback, for me, is that it feels like a long travel version of my Hammerhead. If I weren't keeping the HH then I'd go X-5, but I guess I'm looking for something a little different.

For those with time on both bikes I'm curious as to your thoughts on the similarities & differences. The one ride I had on the Chamuco involved a long climb & downhill and it performed flawlessly through both. But I didn't have a chance to hammer it through rock gardens and in particular I'm curious about suspension feedback through the rough.

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    I wish I could help you out squeaky, I dont have any time on a X5, I do have a few rides on a Chamuco though. It climbs great, pedal bob is very minimal, but so smooth on the decents. I cant say I havent really felt any pedal feedback, I always felt confident riding in the ruff stuff on this bike. I didnt have much time on it either but still felt that I could ride through anything with no weird feedback problems. I read somewhere else that with todays super shocks, SP bikes like the Chamuco really benifit, and when they are designed by a builder like Sherwood you can be confident that the performance will be spot on. Its hard to beat a good single pivot bike that is designed well, it handles well. for a very stiff 6" rear travel bike, its light at about 8lbs. I was about to pull the lever and get a X5 but I read in a post here that esp. in the 6" mode (X5) the Chamuco will probably pedal better, it should be a better big mountain desending bike with the slaker angles.
    If you were to go with a rear air shock I think a 28lb bike can be built. I would sure like to see what different shocks will fit in this frame. Ive actually tried a 5th Element coil shock, but its heavier than the Romic so I let it go. It would be fun to spec a light weight Chamuco out.

Bodhisattva
    I'm leaning towards Chamuco over X-5, but both are great.

If I didn't have my Hammerhead then I'd get the X-5, no question. Like I said, the X-5 feels like a longer travel version of the HH which is about the highest complement I can give considering that my HH is all-time fav ride.

But since I'm keeping it, the Chamuco makes more sense. Going with an airshock brings frame weight to around 7# and the Mav fork saves a good 1.5# as opposed to a Z150 and also sharpens the HA a degree. My only concern is suspension-induced pedal feedback through rock gardens and when grinding uphill in the granny. I'm accustomed to a smooth 4-bar type of feel.

Another option is to X-5 with the 6" rockers which extends travel to 5.5". I'd have to check if this would work with an air shock.

I love the feel of the Romic, but durability is a big question, it's relatively heavy, and I'm amazed at how smooth my AVA Float feels after having PUSH do custom valving. It really feels like a coil.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

If I didn't have my Hammerhead then I'd get the X-5, no question. Like I said, the X-5 feels like a longer travel version of the HH which is about the highest complement I can give considering that my HH is all-time fav ride.

But since I'm keeping it, the Chamuco makes more sense. Going with an airshock brings frame weight to around 7# and the Mav fork saves a good 1.5# as opposed to a Z150 and also sharpens the HA a degree. My only concern is suspension-induced pedal feedback through rock gardens and when grinding uphill in the granny. I'm accustomed to a smooth 4-bar type of feel.

Another option is to X-5 with the 6" rockers which extends travel to 5.5". I'd have to check if this would work with an air shock.

I love the feel of the Romic, but durability is a big question, it's relatively heavy, and I'm amazed at how smooth my AVA Float feels after having PUSH do custom valving. It really feels like a coil.
    In the middle ring you probably won't notice any pedal feeback, even on the rockiest climbs. In the granny there will be some on rocky climbs. For me its just not an issue. I prefer the laterally stiffer performance of the Chamuco compared to a similar weight FSR style bike.

As for air shocks, make sure you can get a 2.25" stroke shock that has 7-7/8 i2i. Most air shocks that are 7-7/8 have only 2" of stroke. IMO I'd rather have the bump performance of the coil shock, even the best air shocks don't keep up on the decents.

As for the Maverik??? I don't know anyone that has one. I'd really want to know about the suspension performance before I went for lighter weight. You already have an XC bike. My advice would not to worry as much about weight and ultimate pedaling performance, but rather build a fun play/FR bike with great suspension performance.
    Pivot Firebird
    Hightower 29
    Tallboy 3
    Pivot LES SS
    Salsa Beargrease C
    Giant TCX

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

my .02 cents

having a 6" travel bullit and an X5, I would say go with the Chamuco if you want plush. If the X5 you rode feels like your HH, I would assume that means the X5 feels like a xc bike with 5" travel (not plush incomparison to a bullit). If the chamuco rides like my bullit, it is hands down plusher than my X5 is, and I think you wouldn't need very much SPV on the chamuco as you would onthe X5 (hi pivot vs. low pivot).

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel