mtbr member
    May 2006

New rear brake mount?

I was looking through some mountain bike magazines at my local supermarket the other day, as ususal. There was a snippet in one of them about Sherwood playing around with changing the rear brake mount to the inside of the triangle. Anyone else hear about that, and what do ya think of it?
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Phase
    I was looking through some mountain bike magazines at my local supermarket the other day, as ususal. There was a snippet in one of them about Sherwood playing around with changing the rear brake mount to the inside of the triangle. Anyone else hear about that, and what do ya think of it?
    I think you haven't been paying attention!

From April of this year...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=510628

BTW, only on HT..
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Shot Down in Flames...
    Anyone else hear about that, and what do ya think of it?
    I think mine look great.

D.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    I think you haven't been paying attention!

From April of this year...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=510628

BTW, only on HT..

I think you are correct about that one.
    Do you think braking characteristics will remain unchanged? Design changes are usually to try to improve on somthing. But, it looks like it also just may be a better place simply due to the holes and lack of rigidity where the normal spot would be above the dropouts.
    It definitly looks cool. I am pretty sure my next frame will be the chivo.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    I think you are correct about that one.
    Do you think braking characteristics will remain unchanged? Design changes are usually to try to improve on somthing. But, it looks like it also just may be a better place simply due to the holes and lack of rigidity where the normal spot would be above the dropouts.
    It definitly looks cool. I am pretty sure my next frame will be the chivo.
    I doubt there would be much change, it's not like previous generations were weak or noodly. And the rear wheel braking is FAR more dependant on the coefficient of drag at the contact point anyways. (Which has nothing to do with the brake location.)

Personally I think it just looks cool and so he went with it. (Why not?)
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I agree, it looks cool. I havent had a ventana hardtail yet, and was looking through the owners section to see what the rear dropouts look like. More material on the older dropouts. I wouldnt go so far as to say it is noodley or flexy, but there is definitly less material on the El Chivo dropout, making it more prone to breakage if it were placed at that spot. Not nessecarily a weakness unless it were mounted there. Just an observation.

Shot Down in Flames...
    Actually, according to Sherwood there is more material in the new drop out.

D.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Really? hmm, ok.

Shot Down in Flames...
    Really? hmm, ok.
    I don't know what you're looking at but I have an '06 and a '10 frame and the '10 has a considerably larger solid machined piece welded between the CS & SS junction than the '06.

D.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    I don't know what you're looking at but I have an '06 and a '10 frame and the '10 has a considerably larger solid machined piece welded between the CS & SS junction than the '06.

D.
    Uh, he's talking about the Brake MOUNT....
    Yes the Dropout is considerably bigger but the brake mount is smaller toward the leading hole. It's deceiving because the trailing hole is almost part of the machined dropout.

EDIT: Ok, I see where the issue is.. I was thinking.."the brake mount LOOKS smaller toward the leading hole..."

Now the following sentence make way more sense. Typing on the interweb, balancing pizza on my lap and corraling two kids can be distracting.
    Last edited by Ciclistagonzo; 07-31-2009 at 10:32 PM.
    -Aaron G.

Shot Down in Flames...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Uh, he's talking about the Brake MOUNT....
    Yes the Dropout is considerably bigger but the brake mount is smaller toward the leading hole. It's deceiving because the trailing hole is almost part of the machined dropout.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, you're telling me that a welded tab that is joined to two members is structurally stronger than a single machined piece? It's not "almost part of the machined dropout" . It is part of the the single machined part of the dropout.

After my conversation with Sherwood that I addressed my concerns over the brake mount location, I chose to go with the nuevo style.

D.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, you're telling me that a welded tab that is joined to two members is structurally stronger than a single machined piece? It's not "almost part of the machined dropout" . It is part of the the single machined part of the dropout.

After my conversation with Sherwood that I addressed my concerns over the brake mount location, I chose to go with the nuevo style.

D.

Now go see my edit, my second sentence now makes more sense and I am making the same arguement you are. Which was my intention.
    Last edited by Ciclistagonzo; 08-02-2009 at 12:51 AM.
    -Aaron G.

Icebiker

Van Dessel's got one..

My buddy's '06 Ramble Tamble has that same inner chainstay mount. He feels it works fine, but limits your choice of rear brakes. He had el camino's on it for a while, but could never get them set up right. They juicy's he's got on the bke now are working ok.

Members who have read this thread: 0