mtbr member
    Apr 2009

New El Comandante

I've been wanting to get another SS for a while now and decided to trade in the El Padrino using Ventanas trade in plan. The Padrino was an awesome bike and I had no doubt a new El Comandante would be as well. Figured I would post some pictures of a few changes they have Incorporated that I couldn't find in online pictures before ordering this. Most notably is the rear triangle has had some updates on the seat and chain stays, as well as a different seat tube brace.

This 20" El Comandante far exceeded my expectations when unpacking last week! I upgraded to the cosmic grey paint, and had clear applied over the graphics, and it came out flawless. Weight is 22.4 as it sits, not extremely light but expectant of a large aluminum frame.

The weather has sucked around here lately, so no trail time yet to get the stem height and everything dialed in, but it feels awesome on the few rides around the neighborhood. Looking forward to many years of fun SS rides on this thing!

New El Comandante-2018-ventana-el-comandante_46204600761_o.jpgNew El Comandante-2018-ventana-el-comandante_46204604201_o.jpgNew El Comandante-2018-ventana-el-comandante_32332448498_o.jpgNew El Comandante-2018-ventana-el-comandante_46204608981_o.jpgNew El Comandante-2018-ventana-el-comandante_46204606351_o.jpg

No known cure
    I love it.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Kinda ugly really. Oh, is this Ty?! Lol! Looks awesome! One day we'll be able to ride the trails again...in the meantime it's sure purty to sit and look at.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rwitte View Post
    Kinda ugly really. Oh, is this Ty?! Lol! Looks awesome! One day we'll be able to ride the trails again...in the meantime it's sure purty to sit and look at.
    Damn, Randy, you just have to rain on my parade dont ya!! Had to resort to the garage door background that you always utilize, lol!!
    Honestly just hoping it brings back some activity to the Ventana site. Hadn't been on MTBR for years and decided to come look for some examples on here when deciding to get it, but wasn't really much current product to look at...

mtbr member
    Looks good.

Were there any changes to the geometry over what is listed on the Ventana web site?

Is it still only 100mm fork compatible?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thank you!
    No, I called and it all thankfully remained the same. Yes on the 100mm fork, 44mm offset, but I thought I read another post where someone was asking about using a 120mm fork and it worked fine?
    Anyway, just really a design change to the hourglass type seat stays. Kind of reminds me of my old scandium AIR9 which I loved, so I'm sure it'll ride great. However, I really did like the looped tubing at the top of the seat stays like the Padrino had.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks!