Needle bearing main pivot- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Needle bearing main pivot

Anyone know how to get these apart for service?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It's an Enduro bearing. I don't have the measurements handy. But call Ventana, and they can give you the part number. Order through an Enduro dealer.

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Enduro NB202610. You can get them from Ventana. I do not think it would come out without it getting damaged.
    AJR

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleriderguy View Post
    Anyone know how to get these apart for service?

Thanks in advance!
    I'll answer this question myself since I figured it out on my own a year ago.

Remove the Flat head bolt from the non-driveside of the pivot. You can then easily push the pivot shaft clear out through the driveside, thus releasing the swingarm from the frame.

The inner race of the needle bearing is built into the pivot shaft which is made of hard anodized aluminum (not great design IMO). If this race is chewed up you'll need to get a replacement from Ventana. The needle bearing itself is of course pressed into the swingarm and you need a bearing puller that grips the ID of the bearing, along with a slide hammer to get it out, if needed.

This is a finnicky, expensive setup that I'm not sure provides any real benefits over ball bearings or bushings. It's cool to have a grease fitting for maintenance, but you have to remove your crankset to access it, so it doesn't encourage use. In my case, after 2 years of fairly hard use pretty much every bearing in the rear end was trashed. My maintenance regime is now to replace the ball bearings yearly since they're cheap, and lube the needle bearing every couple of months.

By the way, be careful injecting grease. When assembled properly, this bearing is sealed so well that it's very easy to blow the seals out with the high pressures grease guns can generate. It's best to inject a little, work the pivot back and forth, inject a little more, until you see old grease coming out from the outer seal.

Cheers