My new Alpino!- Mtbr.com

Thread: My new Alpino!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

My new Alpino!

Well, after about 3 decades of riding hardtails, I finally traded my 2007 El Chiquillo in for an Alpino. I guess I'm still kinda old school, and didn't want to go full up to 29" wheels.

Anyways, I pretty much built my dream bike, how I would have built a FS 20 years ago, if I had the cash. Well, now I do, so game on.

IMG_20200825_134752

IMG_20200912_131337

19" Alpino
    Cane Creek DB IL
    Fox 34 SC 120mm
    Chris King headset
    I9 UL250 wheels
    Continental Crosskings 27.5x2.2
    SRAM guide ultimates w/180mm
    Cane Creek eewings cranks
    Wolftooth 36t
    Cane Creek hellbender neo BB
    Time ATAC ti-carbon pedals
    Rockshox AXS 150mm post
    SRAM XX1 AXS 10-52
    Thomson 60mm stem
    Thomson carbon trail bar

Thoughts are, the wide bar and short stem are something new for me. I think I'll cut them down a little. Maybe go another 10mm longer in the stem. Unfortunately I live on the Space Coast of florida, so there's really not any "mountain biking" like I'm used to in Maryland. The brakes are insanely powerful, as I was used to cable BB7s on the hardtail. I just recently also picked up a Hakka MX, with hydro disc brakes, which are just awesome, so my time with hydraulics is limited thus far. The AXS stuff is something I wouldn't live without ever again, providing I could afford it. It's that special.

I'm taking a trip in October to NC, I have friends in Holly Springs and there's some decent riding in that area, and also going further north to ride my old stomping grounds of Patapsco Valley State Park in MD. After I get those rides in, I'll know for sure what I need to change from the original build.

Total weight of the bike is 26.5 give or take. Good enough for me. Everything is light, but built to last. The 36x52 gives me the equivalent of the 22X32 I was used to riding for years, so I can live with that.
    Last edited by 87vr6; 09-23-2020 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Nice bike. I am thinking about getting out of a hard tail and going FS. I like the Ventana line up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter14 View Post
    Nice bike. I am thinking about getting out of a hard tail and going FS. I like the Ventana line up.
    Well, I'm biased, but I love it, after putting 100~ miles on it, I have zero regrets with this. I love it's USA made, simple, and a company that has been around for decades, and despite what people think/say, isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I can call their number and a human answers the phone.

1 by Ron Wroblewski, on Flickr

2 by Ron Wroblewski, on Flickr

NedwannaB
    Super nice build! Curious to what other bikes in this type bracket you looked at before choosing the Alpino, if any. I had a long travel El Bastardo(27.5) a few years ago. These have caught my eye as a whippy trail bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    • I love quality customer service.

I just bought an El Rey!

I love the sexy sloping lines of the top tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Super nice build! Curious to what other bikes in this type bracket you looked at before choosing the Alpino, if any. I had a long travel El Bastardo(27.5) a few years ago. These have caught my eye as a whippy trail bike.

I mean, I really didn't. Of course I know what's out there (Yeti, Pivot, Canyon, Ellsworth, etc..). I like what's different, the underdog, even though it's not all that different.

It really came down to I didn't particularly want to make the full jump to 29" wheels, as I've never really ridden them. I really didn't look further than Ventana (trade in program). I'm not a freerider/enduro/whatever, so I didn't need/want the 140mm+ like the Zeus, and I thought that the El Rey had not quite enough travel + 29er.. The el capitan would have been my choice, had I wanted to jump from decades on 26" straight to 29".

Like I said in a previous post, I wasn't after anything fancy, just a good 4-bar linkage design. Tried and true, if not exciting. Ventana has moved and tailored the pivot point so it's ideal for 1x drivetrains. After riding it seems to work just fine to me. This is my first experience with a FS bike, so by all means, I don't know what I'm talking about, but I didn't notice any excessive bobbing climbing up hills, and going back down the suspension seemed to be doing it's job even while braking.

That being said, I picked up a lightly used Commandante frame, and am collecting the parts for that.. So, I'll soon know how a hardtail 29er rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter14 View Post
    • I love quality customer service.

I just bought an El Rey!

I love the sexy sloping lines of the top tube.
    Awesome man! Teresa and Sherwood will take care of you.

I feel you. I'm not the biggest fan of swoopy and curvy, but it's growing on me the more I ride and look at my bike.

Make sure you post up when you get the complete bike going!

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    “Awesome man! Teresa and Sherwood will take care of you.

I feel you. I'm not the biggest fan of swoopy and curvy, but it's growing on me the more I ride and look at my bike.

Make sure you post up when you get the complete bike going![/QUOTE]

I will post.
    I bought a used frame tho since I just bought a hard tail. I have a feeling, I am Going to sell the hard tail soon. And order a new more travel frame from Ventana fro the mountains.

NedwannaB

Yeah, have a 29er..

Albeit a "downcountry" setup. But still have a nice 27.5 fork, e13 wheelset and spare drivetrain. Thinking about getting one of these frames in future. 😎

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Albeit a "downcountry" setup. But still have a nice 27.5 fork, e13 wheelset and spare drivetrain. Thinking about getting one of these frames in future. 
    Meh. Whatever you want to call it. I find all these terms silly.

In my eyes, there's really only 3 categories.

XC - Bike can go up hills really well, down them pretty ok.

Trail - Bike can go up and down hills equally well. Up not as good as an XC bike, down not as good as a DH bike

DH - Bike can go down hills really well, not so much going up (unless on a lift). yes, freeride/enduro bikes fall under this.

I think it's the gravel trend is hilarious (I own one though), besides the drop bars, really what's the difference in riding between a new gravel bike and the fully rigid bikes we all rode in the early 90s? And now Fox is making a 40mm suspension gravel fork

NedwannaB

Was referencing "my" 29r as DC...

Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
    Meh. Whatever you want to call it. I find all these terms silly.

In my eyes, there's really only 3 categories.

XC - Bike can go up hills really well, down them pretty ok.

Trail - Bike can go up and down hills equally well. Up not as good as an XC bike, down not as good as a DH bike

DH - Bike can go down hills really well, not so much going up (unless on a lift). yes, freeride/enduro bikes fall under this.

I think it's the gravel trend is hilarious (I own one though), besides the drop bars, really what's the difference in riding between a new gravel bike and the fully rigid bikes we all rode in the early 90s? And now Fox is making a 40mm suspension gravel fork
    Don't be mislead or sad dude, your Alpino can be classified as DC too! I've been comparing my OG V1 Ibis Ripley to alot of the "newer geo" and olderbbikes in the 27.5 and 29 wheel size and to be honest looking back not sure they've changed my riding efficiency greatly. Could be user error @+60 years old of course!🤨