My first MTB ride in, gulp, years!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

My first MTB ride in, gulp, years!

I cobbled together my ol' El Habanero this weekend and took her out for a long, long (5 years?) overdue ride. It was everything I remembered...fun, painful exhausting, challenging and rewarding.

I have some questions. Has anything changed significantly in the past 20 years with regards to MTB technology? Surely the tried and true 26" wheel will never be challenged as the most beautiful balance of strength and efficiency available.

In all seriousness I am looking towards a new bike. I am brand loyal and Ventana checks a lot of boxes for me. With that in mind what would the gang here think would serve me well? A little background. I'm in New England and the trails I will be riding most are rocky/rooty, twisty/turny singletrack and fireroads. I'm almost 50 and am not complete averse to bouncing off berms and getting off the ground now and then but I'm not a big huckster (hucker?).

I'm tall (6'3") with long torso and short legs and weigh 210#. I like to go fast downhill and also like to clean tough climbs. My "normal" ride lasts between 1.5 and 3 hours. 29er? 650B? 27.5+? I'd love some feedback, opinions, and the like. I would really appreciate it.

Pic is from today when I was trying to figure out why my lungs were burning so much!

Thx in advance Gang!My first MTB ride in, gulp, years!-img_2857.jpgMy first MTB ride in, gulp, years!-img_2858.jpg

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    First of all, welcome back to riding, second Sweet Habanero!!!

As to what is best, that's so hard to answer because it's truely subjective, But, I'll hazard a guess for you, even if it's just to get the conversation rolling!

I have a buddy who is also looking to update from his older 26" bike, also fairly tall, 6"2" ish. He's bouncing between a full 29'er (El Rey/El Cap) or 27.5 most likely an Alpino. For us here in Norcal, we don't deal with the amount of rocks and roots you do in the east coast. I think I'd steer you toward the 29'er. El Ray is 4" travel, El Cap is120/140.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thx for the reply Aaron. I'm glad to hear you say that because that was the conclusion I came to as well. Everyone said that being tall I'd feel right at home on a 29er.

So I tracked down a used El Rey and bought the sucker. It comes tomorrow. I'm excited.

My thoughts, pics and more blatant Ventana-loving will be soon to follow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    At 6'3", you might really enjoy plus tires. Either 27 or 29. You said you have shorter legs, but what is your inseam? They can't bee too short to be comfortable on 29+ at 6'3", can they?

That's some serious brand loyalty with all the new stuff that is out. You might want to look around just to see. Although, looking at them, you might be right. Beautiful!
    2018 Surly Karate Monkey 'dingle' speed
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDad View Post
    Thx for the reply Aaron. I'm glad to hear you say that because that was the conclusion I came to as well. Everyone said that being tall I'd feel right at home on a 29er.

So I tracked down a used El Rey and bought the sucker. It comes tomorrow. I'm excited.

My thoughts, pics and more blatant Ventana-loving will be soon to follow.
    Awesome! Congrats on the new to you ride! Looking forward to seeing more pics from ya then!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."