Good ol' fashion x-5 revival!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good ol' fashion x-5 revival!

My x-5 which I bought in 2004 was originally built for high mountain riding, however since a couple moves and a few career changes, I have ended up in the midwest closer to family and now with some little kids runnin around. This bike has been underused due to obesity (of the bike) which used to be full coil and north of 30 lbs.

My question is, how much weight can I drop off this bike? I love the ride and as it sits it is now just under 29 lbs. I plan a new rear wheel with a dtswiss240s with a stans rim and will try tubeless again. I guess I could drop a little over half lb doing that.

Things I won't change - xt brakes, frame, front wheel (am classic+revo spokes+arch rim), front fork, seatpost (although I could trim it some), tires.

Think I could drop 2 lbs? I also have a fox rp3 shock I could send to push and which is much lighter than the monarch thats on there. It isn't setting my world on fire.

The bike pedals great at its current config. and is really working for me. I just could use a drivetrain update might save ~300 grams there. I don't want to greatly alter the ride, just make it faster! I guess at some point it might be cheaper to trade in for a (lighter and updated) el salt. Not too sure about bigger wheels, I'm riding the twisty tight stuff.

thanks!
    -t

Good ol' fashion x-5 revival!-img_20140704_141034edit.jpg

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    With the limited parts on your hit list for updating, it's going to be hard to loose much weight. The drivetrain is not a bad idea especially those XT cranks which were awesome back in the day, but are not the lightest available. a 1 X drivetrain would be you lightest option. Reconsider going to lighter tires, that can make a huge change in HOW the bike feels to you. (Rotating weight).

Or... since it is a 2004 and you get 30% off.... JUST get a New Satly/Alpino!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Thanks! I don't want to ditch the tires as these are my new favs. They just stick to everything.

I'm thinking drivetrain and tubeless are the bulk of it. Also could stick a carbon bar on there but I had a suprise failure of a carbon bar on a previous bike and I am still a little weary.

How much lighter are the new framesets? I think the x-5 was about 1/3 lb heavier than the salty? Its pretty hard to find much info on the x-5 here doesn't search well, and, well that was 10 years ago, wow. How light were people able to get these things?

I'd hate to trade in a perfectly good frame, I'll prob. wait till the frame cracks or I back it into a tree or something more final.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Good call on the rear wheel, going tubeless, and getting a good carbon bar (though you'll likely need to get a 31.8 stem too). And don't forget about the cassette. Otherwise, the bike is built well enough as it is that it'll be hard to drop significant weight without doing something drastic like a full xtr rebuild.

BTW, is the front rotor mounted backwards?

mtbr member
    Crap missing all these new standards--stem size change! Also didn't even think about the direction on the rotor I am guessing your right just built that wheel for the fork. 1x11 seems great less to worry about.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    wtf? what is an X-5? Clearly you don't ride the bike much for no way would a 10 year old frame still be useable. A carbon version of the X-5 would be glorious though, with PUSHed rear shock...and gravity dropper

mtbr member
    Haha, ya got me! Like I said I rode it for about 2-3 years while living out west, moved to the east and it has really been sitting in favor of a lighter hardtail. Didn't want to part ways with it but didn't have the cash till recently to lighten it up. Maybe I'm a retro grouch or maybe I always knew I could take advantage of the trade-in program when my hobby was more properly funded.

mtbr member
    Also this is my newest bike. Shhhhinnnng!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just switched last week from a 31lb (w/gravity dropper) blue '06 X5 to a 27 lb. carbon Santa Cruz. 4 lbs. is a lot less weight, but I can put that much water (<2 liters) in a backpack pretty easily, or pick up that much weight eating too much pizza on a weekend. The only problem I ever had with the Ventana was a cracked rear triangle. Lotta' fun on that bike. If anything, the fancy new bike makes me appreciate how tough and well-designed the X5 was/is.

For weight reduction, think about what I did for my wife which is built her a set of very good looking stiff Light Bike (Chinese) wheels that are tough as nails and saved her (combined with lighter rubber RocketRons) almost a full lb. of rotating mass. When climbing, they say that feels like 1.3 lb. savings. I reused her hubs to save some bucks. The 23mm LB inner rim width makes the tire ride a little flatter. You'd feel the difference in weight and performance. Order built wheels if you don't want to fool around with building wheels. An extra set of wheels can be nice to have.
    Last edited by bayareamtnbiker; 08-16-2014 at 11:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

yours, sir, is an awesome bike

and so is mine. 2004 X-5. Ridden through all those years. It also went through different incarnations but the rear is dead stiff and it hovercrafts through the rocks like on day one. Tried all kinds of diets but, from some point onwards, any 50grms I shaved off, always came with a performance /confidence drop of some sort. I think a lightish-but-sturdy-enough trail setup with 29lbs is a very good place to be with an X5. Enjoy your ride!

mtbr member
    Thanks Schotter! Yea I have been loving this current configuration and decided to hold off any more upgrades till next year. I think I can get it to around 27.5 lbs without affecting the ride quality and not costing an arm and a leg.

It is amazing how many of the new frames out there today look similar to the x-5 front triangle (for example spec. enduro) with the x-brace. It is great to have all that standover on a long travel bike. I remember when it came out some people really hated the way it looks compared to the el salt, but this thing is a beauty queen to some of the newer frames I have seen

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    I remember when it came out some people really hated the way it looks...
    yeah, I was never a fan the X thing either, reminded me of Cdale back then. Still went for it.
    However, will probably post a little 10th anniversary piece sometime soon. Just recently realized how tight this thing is after all those (abusive) years...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm still riding my '04 X-5 too, although it's now setup with a 36 up front and the 6" rocker (and DHK coil shock) in the rear. I replaced the rear triangle at some point, otherwise no other issues. I probably preferred the ride overall when it was a 5" bike, but it still feels pretty good. Sorta like Toad, it got a lot of use when I was out in CA, then significantly less for the last 5 years out here (PA). Plus I've been distracted with a few other bikes in that time, but they come and go, but the X-5 never gave me a reason to get rid of it.. I'm considering getting a new bike though and may replace both the X-5 and my hardtail with the new one..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    big ride tomorrow and the mechanics are working shifts...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good ol' fashion x-5 revival!-img_0976.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So yeah, itching since a while to report back around its 10th anniversary, so here goes: A couple bikes have come and gone since I got it in 2004 incl. my white Bruja (that got stolen) and hardtails (that made me realize I am a squishy guy). As mentioned, everything is straight and true and the bearings feel almost as day one. I am a light, mid sized but sometimes abusive rider with a BMX background and wrecked some frames such as an Intense Uzzi SL and a Turner DHR. The X5 took all the beating stoically and keeps going. This bike was always perfect as trailbike for technically challenging, rocky terrain but currently, on the smooth to rooty trails I am on, I sometimes wish for something lighter, more responsive with lower BB.
    But: Would that kind of bike have lasted this long? Probably no.
    So well done Ventana! Your bikes are too well built to warrant returning customers!

Of course, when GAS hits me, I contemplate new frame purchase but I keep snapping out of it as I have to realize my trusted X5 doesn't give me much reason. Although...an Alpino sometime soon...? Just for the fun of it?...
    'Til then I take comfort in becoming the geezer with an ancient bike (we all know these: 80's hardtail, funky colors and tough as nails)...anyhow, here are some shots in its current state; next write-up in 10 yrs!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good ol' fashion x-5 revival!-1.jpg  

Good ol' fashion x-5 revival!-2.jpg  

Good ol' fashion x-5 revival!-_d8e1779.jpg  

Good ol' fashion x-5 revival!-_d8e1781.jpg  

Good ol' fashion x-5 revival!-_d8e1783.jpg  

Good ol' fashion x-5 revival!-_d8e1786.jpg