Freshened up the Zeus- Mtbr.com
    Proud lame eBiker

Freshened up the Zeus

New wheels. New drivetrain, made the jump to XO1 11sp with a 28Wolf Tooth up front.

Stopped by VentanaUSA World Headquarters after riding Tuesday and had the downtube decals replaced. Really dig the Flag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Proud lame eBiker

Freshened up the Zeus

www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Proud lame eBiker

Freshened up the Zeus

climber
    Dec 2008
    Mike - Wow. Beautiful bike. Are those wide carbon rims? What difference does that make in the ride? It is cool that you can rotate the dropper post for a better cable run. I was not aware of that. Love the yellow cable ties too.

Proud lame eBiker
    Can't say much about the handling while cornering aspect of the wheels just yet. Only one ride.
    The ride was a flast flowy singletrack sections with a few double tracks thrown in. And we just had some rain so traction was TOP NOTCH!

There was a pretty good long stretch of sketchy rocky narrow downhill that we rode though and I can tell you that the wheels do ride "harsher". Going to have to take a click or two out of the compression.

Team Fearless Descender
    Beautiful Mike!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    UHmm.... WOW. Just wow. Think you'll be happy with the 1x? The 28th is way more palatable for my legs anyway than the 30.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    I like the second picture, looks tough.

fai
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Very nice indeed.
    AJR

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

A second life for my Zeus....

Did a little trip to my Zeus birth place (Red Barn Bicycles) last week for a whole bearing and pivot overhaul and a new suspension. Went from a 2014 Fox FLOAT 34 and FLOAT rear shock to a Rockshox Pike and a CCDB Inline. Since trail riding season is still on around here, got to try the new beast and tinker with the shock settings. Holy Cow, this is a completely different bike!!!! I highly recommend the upgrade.Freshened up the Zeus-img_1045.jpgFreshened up the Zeus-img_1050.jpg

climber
    Dec 2008
    JC822 - Love that old school roadie look (the worn saddle) Also where did you get those shing brown headset spacers?

How does your new and improved Zeus "perform" both climbing and descending vs. VPP or DW link bikes? (I own both but I toy with getting a Zeus someday)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Jack, the headset spacers are Chris King's in Brown, but the color has been discontinued so I am holding on to them dearly...

I can't really compare the Zeus climbing and descending behaviors to VPP or DW-link bikes because I have not ridden any of the latter bikes for more than just around a parking lot. What I know though is that the current Ventana frames with the redesigned pivot placements (I am talking about Zeus, El Chucho and Alpino frames that I have ridden) have minimal pedal bob and climb very efficiently while remaining active. With a minor adjustment of the LSC on the Inline, I got no pedal bob while retaining a very plush feel, so I can't ask for a better riding feel...