mtbr member

Forkin El Rey .....?

Hey El Rey riders! I have been ridding my 08 with a 07 100mm Reba fork and I think it handels quite quick already. My question is how would the bike ride with a different fork offset like a newer fox or even the newer reba. Most of my riding is on tight east coast singletrack, with limited long climbs and decents. When I first built up the bike I had a 100/-5 stem and a flat bar....and well I went over that bar a few times! I now have a 90/0 with a low rise bar and is all well with climbing and decending....so any input about what you guys are riding with up front would be great!! Thanks!

dreamer
    Aug 2006
    I ride a 17, and use a 08 Fox w/100mm, a 90 low rise stem, and super wide DH bars, they slow up the front a bit, as I am very fast going up, but the El Rey will climb anything, it helps when the climbs get sketch. Thats just me, hope it helps.

dreamer
    Aug 2006
    I should of done some edit work, that souds stupid! It should read, I am NOT!! that fast going up. In fact I am so slow I need it super stable!

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Had an '07 Reba 100mm on my '07 El Rey until recently. I just put a 120mm Air UTurn '09 Reba on it. The handling at 110mm feels about the same as the old Reba at 100mm. When extended all the way out it suffers a bit on the climbs due to being a touch too slack. When set to 90mm it is kinda twitchy for my taste. I pretty much have left it at 110mm all the time unless I'm going up or down something super steep.

mtbr member
    Thanks 1red1 and Tony! I feel fine on the climbs with my set up now, it's just downhill stability thatsomewhat eludes me. I may try to put on the smaller extended crownrace to see if that helps or hurts. Thanks again, RRR

jrm
    mtbr member

Wb110

Quote Originally Posted by TripleR
    Thanks 1red1 and Tony! I feel fine on the climbs with my set up now, it's just downhill stability thatsomewhat eludes me. I may try to put on the smaller extended crownrace to see if that helps or hurts. Thanks again, RRR
    sure was a improvement over the reba in terms of stiffness and travel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dan
    Apr 2004

120mm Fox

I have an 08 El Rey with a 120 Fox fork, and 5" rockers. I live/ride in NJ and love it on the tech trails and rock gardens here.

Pic of the El Rey from a trip out west...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shovel Ready
    JRM, is that the F135 or F110? Looks like our bikes are very similar.

Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

jrm
    mtbr member

Fluid 110

with 4" rockers.

Expert Crasher
    JRM - I've got a Fluid 110 on my Sultan. Been playing with air pressure today - last trip out, I was 80 psi, none on the right leg. Today - I ran 70 psi w/ about 7-8 psi in the right leg - felt very smooth, had a nice progressive feel. 210lbs body weight.

Just wonder what you're running, any tips/setup you can offer. I've had my fork since September.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Shovel Ready
    Eric at WB suggested I try running half my body weight in the air spring and zero PSI in the compression. I found this to be very smooth and have not noticed any harsh bottoming. I have a F110 on an El Rey.

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    with 4" rockers.
    Same here, I'm tossing a 26" wheel out back on mine just to try it for a day or so. Not something I will stay with just want to try it and see how the head angle feels.

jrm
    mtbr member

I saw that..

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    JRM - I've got a Fluid 110 on my Sultan. Been playing with air pressure today - last trip out, I was 80 psi, none on the right leg. Today - I ran 70 psi w/ about 7-8 psi in the right leg - felt very smooth, had a nice progressive feel. 210lbs body weight.

Just wonder what you're running, any tips/setup you can offer. I've had my fork since September.
    Getting the psi in the right leg correct is the tricky part. I think i ran about 8-10 psi so that i could balance the rp23 compression set 1/2 way out. I found that if i ran more then 12 psi the fork started topped out

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by de00304
    I have an 08 El Rey with a 120 Fox fork, and 5" rockers. I live/ride in NJ and love it on the tech trails and rock gardens here.

Pic of the El Rey from a trip out west...
    I have the same setup on my 25" El Rey. I love it.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Getting the psi in the right leg correct is the tricky part. I think i ran about 8-10 psi so that i could balance the rp23 compression set 1/2 way out. I found that if i ran more then 12 psi the fork started topped out
    thanks - PUSH tuned RP23 on my Sultan. I think I've got about 7 psi in my right leg.

TRB - thanks as well - I'll have to give that a shot too.

Sorry to derail - back to Ventana's
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleR
    Hey El Rey riders! I have been ridding my 08 with a 07 100mm Reba fork and I think it handels quite quick already. My question is how would the bike ride with a different fork offset like a newer fox or even the newer reba. Most of my riding is on tight east coast singletrack, with limited long climbs and decents. When I first built up the bike I had a 100/-5 stem and a flat bar....and well I went over that bar a few times! I now have a 90/0 with a low rise bar and is all well with climbing and decending....so any input about what you guys are riding with up front would be great!! Thanks!

I'm running a 70mm stem, with 28" wide bars and a little extra air psi in the fork. I found this helps the steep descent handling without hurting overall handling. I to had a trip over the bars followed by a trip to the hospital.

Members who have read this thread: 0