mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Smile El Salt w/ Six inch rear travel...anyone try it?

Anyone riding a Salty with the six inch romic option? What front fork would you recomend for hard trail riding?

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by skifreeordie
    Anyone riding a Salty with the six inch romic option? What front fork would you recomend for hard trail riding?
    Personally, I really wouldn't recommend it. The resulting headtube angle is really steep for a 6" bike and the BB is extremely high. If you want 6", I'd get an X-5 with the Bruja rockers for 6" and put a Z150 on it. Or, just get a Chamuco, which handles a lot more like a 6" bike should compared to the Salty in 6".
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skifreeordie
    I rode my El Salt with a Fox Float, a Vanilla RC, and a Romic. The three shocks are roughly the same overall length (the foxes are 7 7/8 inches, while the romic is 8 inches), so the overall geometry of the bike stays about the same regardless of the shock you choose. The romic gets more travel due to the extra .25" of shock stroke. Of the three shocks, I like the Romic the best: it combines the pedaling firmness of the float with the plushness of the Vanilla RC, and overall, the damping is smoother than on either Fox shock. An excellent mate for the El Salt.

Still, if you put a long travel fork on the El Salt to match the longer travel rear end, the bottom bracket will be very high off the ground. To maintain the bike's high speed handling, I wouldn't go with anything beyond a 5" fork on an El Salt, and even then the bb starts to get pretty high for high speeds and steeps (for my taste anyway). So, ultimately, I agree with Larry. Get an x5 or Chamuco. I'm riding a Chamuco with a Z150 and love the handling. It takes hits better than the El Salt in the 6" mode, and the low bb and slack head tube make it a much better handling bike at speed.