mtbr member
    Nov 2005

El Patron w/F29 100 G2 ...what should I expect?

Considering trading my El Ciclon for a shorter travel XC bike. Have an offer for an El Patron with G2 fork and trying to figure out impact of G2 fork on handling.

Stock geometry is:
    HTA = 71
    AtoC = 487 (I believe this would indicate it was built around an 80m fork)
    Offset = 41

F29 100 G2 has an offset of 51.

My hypothesis is that the increased offset will be "offset" by the increase in travel, and handling will be neutral to stock, but with more travel.

Any and all help is appreciated.

thx
    -Chris

SS Pusher Man
    I am running my El Padrino with the G2 fork off my Paragon....rides well. I have no complaints with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Running my Patron with a regular Fox 100mm

I am running my Patron with a standard Fox 100mm with a 44mm offset. Previously I ran an older-model Reba 80 mm, which I believe had a 38mm offset. Travel being equal the, axle-to-crown length on the Fox is about 8mm shorter than a Fox. So, the 100mm Fox is only 12mm taller than the Reba it replaced, plus it has the increased offset.

It is difficult for me to tell a difference in geometry between the old Reba vs. the Fox. I would also add that in my opinion the geometry feels a little slack with both forks (for an XC race bike), which is ok because I use my Patron primarily as a non-race xc/trail bike. When I service my Fox I may try to cut the travel spacers in half to drop the travel down to 90mm (not sure if this is possible).

I bet the G2 geometry set at 100mm would ride nicely. If you decide to go this route, let me know how it works for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

That's what I was hoping to hear !

Bike should be here Friday and I will report back after a few rides

Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    So what are your thoughts on the Patron? Any issues with the steep seat tube angle? Did you try the Fox g2 fork?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Patron w/G2 Ride Report

Had the patron out 4 times, about 75 miles in total and really digging the bike....it is FAST!

Took a little while to get suspension dialed in, but I am very impressed with the bike. Rear suspension feels great and so far the 3" of travel has been more than sufficient, and of course very stiff. I was able to climb so pretty techy stuff first time on the bike, so adjustment period was almost non-existant. Standing next to the bike it is loooong...but in the saddle I did not notice the long wheelbase as much as I thought I would.

I am using a layback seatpost to mitigate the seat tube angle and the riding position feels very good. Aggressive, but not ridiculous. I am still on the fense on the G2 though. It is definately helping make the steering a little quicker and in some of the tight singletrack makes a difference....but when things get a little steep going down it does get a little twitchy/scary! Like everythying in life, it is about the tradeoffs.

Since my main ride is a single track animal (29er rigid single speed with 42.5" wheelbase), I may opt to trade off a little steering quickness for some stability and try a non-g2 F29 100. Let the tweaking begin!

Members who have read this thread: 0