El Gordo 29+ . . . motor?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

El Gordo 29+ . . . motor?

Loaned out my El Gordo with 29+ wheels (nextie 40mm) to a good friend and he was blown away. He didn't think much of how it looked, and he likes carbon FS bikes and it waiting for his Jet 9 to be built up and was desperate for a bike a bike to ride.

We went out locally and he was skeptical - until he starting realizing he was going really fast . . . and blowing by every obstacle without a thought.

He took it for a 4 hour ride with a gang of hard core riders and now swears it has a motor and says it is the most remarkable bike he has been on, ever.

Not sure what the secret sauce is but it is amazing.

I had a ti fatback which I loved - until a test ride of the el gordo. Went from my ride to the local Ventana dealer and ordered one up. Amazing bike!!

CEO Product Failure
    I feel the same way about my Ciclon. It has ruined all other bikes for me and ruined any joy I got from all my other bikes: SS, HT, roadie and on. Nothing handles, pedals, and provides the sheer enjoyment like the Ciclon. :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Bought my El Gordo frame in Feb. 2014. Since then, I've added an El Comandante Ultimate, El Comandante SS and just finished building up an El Gran Jefé. I've also sold off most of my fleet of "mainstream" bike brands.
    Ventana makes some of the best frames in the business.

mtbr member
    I also built a set of 29+ wheels for my El Gordo. I'm not sure if it's the frame or the wheelsize, but it does climb really well. With 900g (each) tires, I did not expect it to be a great climber, but it goes uphill as fast as any other bike I own. I'm liking the wheelsize and the versatility of the El Gordo!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.