El Capitan vs. Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

El Capitan vs. Guerilla Gravity Trail Pistol

I need a new bike and really enjoyed a demo ride on a GG Trail Pistol. For practical reasons ($$$), I am considering building a new El Cap, but the geometry is quite different between the two even though they are similar travel 29ers. The head angle is good bit slacker and the chainstays are an inch shorter on the Trail Pistol with a longer wheelbase, so I'm not sure how close I could get in ride feel. I currently have an El Ciclon and my only complaints with it are the derailleur cable routing and the high standover height, both of which are better on the GG frame. For anyone who has ridden a Trail Pistol or other modern geometry "short" travel 29" bike, I'm open to input.

mtbr member
    There is a geometry chart floating around of a more ďmodernĒ El Cap. Unfortunately, Ventana put it on hold late last year. If youíre considering the El Cap, Iíd check into it before making any decisions, the geo looked good.

If you find out, let us know. Iíve emailed Ventana a couple times, but did not receive a response.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The website is not up to date. I got an e-mail response stating that the Zeus and El Cap frames they have in stock are 148x12 rear spacing despite the website still showing 142x12. I printed a geometry chart from 2018, but I'm not sure if it's the current numbers or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammon287 View Post
    The website is not up to date. I got an e-mail response stating that the Zeus and El Cap frames they have in stock are 148x12 rear spacing despite the website still showing 142x12. I printed a geometry chart from 2018, but I'm not sure if it's the current numbers or not.
    Check out this thread, Ol Bromy posted the geometry chart for the more modern El Cap.

El Cap!

This was put on hold, not sure where Ventana is with the update. If this is the geo of the El Cap, I would strongly consider trading in my X5 for this frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I might just go with a Zeus instead since it seems to be up to date geometry-wise. I would probably run it in 140 mode with the fork set at 140/150 to keep the standover height in check.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have had an older El Cap, then a semi custom El Cap/Zeus Mullet 29/27.5 with short chainstays, 140/160 travel, and 67 HTA (slack for 29 when I had it made).

I also have an aluminum GG Smash in XXL.

el Caps are great...for me, the Smash is better. Seems like the Ventanas are more on the XC/trail side of things, even my semi custom. GG is much more capable on the downs and still a very good climber, and still fun and playful on more mellow trails. From what Iíve heard, the TP is slightly more trail oriented and still very good on the downs.

The Smash and my Waltworks 29+ are by far the two best bikes Iíve had (I would keep the Waltworks if I could only have one bike by a fairly narrow margin).

YMMV, as I am comically large, so my conclusions may not translate to more normally sized primates....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the input. I'm on the small side of average at 5'9"/180lbs. that's one reason I think the Zeus might be better for me than a monster truck El Cap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammon287 View Post
    I need a new bike and really enjoyed a demo ride on a GG Trail Pistol.
    If I had some $$ drop into my lap I'd get a new GG Trail Pistol. I have the older metal GG Smash which is a great bike built on the burlier side to pummel trails into submission. I think a light build on a TP would make a nice companion bike. The GG geo is dialled, they offer excellent CS and there is a great community of riders on those bikes. I've been to two GG Meet Ups and met some nice folks.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

always licking the glass
    Iíd be curious to which one you picked. Both are good companies that makes frames in-house.

Iíve ridden a Ciclon (had the first one off production) and GG Shred Dogg and Megatrail, so I can give you feedback on both.

Ventana bikes are laterally stiff, which is one of the reasons I loved them for so long. When the Ciclon came out (I donít know about todayís Ciclon geo), I rode mine for about a year but I could never make the bike feel right for me.

I rode Ibis for a while after that, then I moved over to GG a few years ago. With last years release of their Revved frames, they have a frame thatís up there with Ventanaís stiffness, but has the geo I like.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I haven't done anything yet since I don't ride much over the winter. There is a significant advantage to sticking with Ventana in their frame trade in program. I'm heavily leaning towards a Ventana Zeus. It has contemporary geometry and I think the wheel size and travel combo will be more familiar to me. I like the new GG frames, but don't like the weight and "any color you want as long as it's black". Ventana frames are more pleasing to the eye than black plastic can ever be.