Thread: El Cap!

Never enough time to ride

El Cap!

So it only took me a week to get off the bike long enough to get some pictures of the bike. A full week and almost 70 miles later Iím all smiles. From the neutral handling, active suspension with out any input from the drivetrain, and actually having some bloody ground clearance, I am well pleased with this build!

Looking forward to having this one around for a long time.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Cap!-9578e3ef-f697-44e5-86d0-90d3c4a991c1.jpg  

El Cap!-56b07a6d-0464-44c7-81bd-3af956b9ec2a.jpg  

Get out and ride!

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Looks awesome would love to see some closer up pics from the head top tube, top tube, down tube area as well as the bottom bracket area.
    Also what build did you with?

I will get you those pics after I get home tonight. As far as the build goes, its my own stuff. Just a solid kit I've put together over time, but here are the details.

Fork-2017 Rock Shox Revelation RCT3
    Headset-Cane Creek 40, 44/56mm
    Stem-Thomson, 70mm
    Bar-Salsa Rustler Carbon
    Shifter-X01
    Rear Der-X01
    Cassette-X01
    Chain-XX1
    Crank-Race Face Turbine, 64/104 BCD
    Chain Ring-Wolftooth Stainless, 30 tooth, 104 BCD
    Bash-Race Face Light
    Pedals-XT Trail
    Brakes-Hope Tech M4, 180/160 Rotors
    Hubs-Chris King Heavy Duty
    Rims-WTB Frequency i25
    Spokes-DT Swiss Comps
    Tires-Maxxis DHR/F Single Ply, Exo and TLR
    Seatpost-Rock Shox Reverb with Wolftooth Lever

Total weight came in just shy of 32 lbs for a set up that will handle a 235 pound rider over the long haul.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Congrats! It came out nice! The 70 miles and a full week later, says it all.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Some pics as requested. Head tube junction and wasnít real sure what you wanted around the bottom bracket so I got as much as I could. The lighting isnít great around my model desk but itís what I had to work with. Will be more than happy to answer any questions if I can.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Cap!-c1f5e918-4525-4f45-89da-23f7d233b8aa.jpg  

El Cap!-c62e4c89-7dbd-4e61-9b2c-80e5223e43d3.jpg  

El Cap!-6b0e45c7-799a-457d-a101-72bf669cb8c8.jpg  

El Cap!-0ba31368-77d6-43ab-9a80-d113f3bf0b18.jpg  

El Cap!-e09882b8-4582-4d9f-b7e0-3a68a7903000.jpg  

El Cap!-09fabe14-15a9-4d04-b90e-3b8bb9e5974d.jpg  

Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sounds like there is going to be an update to this frame or new 29er frame and information would be available in February.

I could see an update to boost spacing and maybe b+ compatibility. But it's not going to have me looking for a new frame, still loving the one I got!

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

No known cure
    What's the story on the non internal cables, and what color yellow is that. The bike looks great.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    What's the story on the non internal cables, and what color yellow is that. The bike looks great.
    I have never been a fan of internal cable routing, itís always been a pain in the butt for me. So I took advantage of the semi custom program and had the Alpino style cable guides put on, as well as triple bolt bottle cage mount on the bottom of the down tube for something like a Salsa Anything Cage.

The color is Vette Yellow, and is almost painful to look at in the sunlight, but I love it!

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by squish View Post
    I have never been a fan of internal cable routing, itís always been a pain in the butt for me. So I took advantage of the semi custom program and had the Alpino style cable guides put on, as well as triple bolt bottle cage mount on the bottom of the down tube for something like a Salsa Anything Cage.

The color is Vette Yellow, and is almost painful to look at in the sunlight, but I love it!

Happy trails...

Josh
    Was the external routing an up charge? I would think it would be easier to fabricate and save shop time. As for the color, this is why I asked. Corvette Yellow with Super Dust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Cap!-ag_044.jpg  

El Cap!-ag_147.jpg  

Was the external routing an up charge? I would think it would be easier to fabricate and save shop time. As for the color, this is why I asked. Corvette Yellow with Super Dust.
    It was an up charge because they had to make the down tube specifically for this frame. Everything they have on hand is drilled and set up for internal routing. Was worth it for me.

That's a great looking frame! My original plans was for the polished rear end as well, but it was an extra month or so wait, and I wasnt that patient.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You do have a sweet ride!

No known cure
    It was an up charge because they had to make the down tube specifically for this frame. Everything they have on hand is drilled and set up for internal routing. Was worth it for me.

That's a great looking frame! My original plans was for the polished rear end as well, but it was an extra month or so wait, and I wasnt that patient.

Happy trails...

Josh
    That frame is now eight years old, and has been raced hard and is well traveled and sill rides like new. Every tube and angle on the front triangle is custom. When the time comes, I'll do the customer appreciation trade in. I wasn't aware of the external cable routing option but I guess anything is possible with Ventana. I was already planning on a straight top tube.

That frame is now eight years old, and has been raced hard and is well traveled and sill rides like new. Every tube and angle on the front triangle is custom. When the time comes, I'll do the customer appreciation trade in. I wasn't aware of the external cable routing option but I guess anything is possible with Ventana. I was already planning on a straight top tube.
    That was the motivation behind getting this frame, after getting married a little over a year and a half ago I decided I wanted something that would last a good long time. Iíd ridden Turners in the past and loved the way they road and their longevity, and while I liked the way the DW bike shop road and pedaled I found pivot life to be lacking. So I started playing around with other brands and boy are there some real winners out there...

Remembered Ventana one night and got the ball rolling on the Cap. Starting to get back into the groove of life, which is always a little different after marriage, so my miles are starting to pick up again. I am planning at least one long overnighter this spring, and a 50 mile race later in the fall, and as much dirt as I can get in between! This bike should prove to be a nice long term companion.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

No known cure
    That was the motivation behind getting this frame, after getting married a little over a year and a half ago I decided I wanted something that would last a good long time. Iíd ridden Turners in the past and loved the way they road and their longevity, and while I liked the way the DW bike shop road and pedaled I found pivot life to be lacking. So I started playing around with other brands and boy are there some real winners out there...

Remembered Ventana one night and got the ball rolling on the Cap. Starting to get back into the groove of life, which is always a little different after marriage, so my miles are starting to pick up again. I am planning at least one long overnighter this spring, and a 50 mile race later in the fall, and as much dirt as I can get in between! This bike should prove to be a nice long term companion.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Speaking of pivots. I recently had the rear shock rebuilt, and while the shock was off I cycled the rear end through it's range of motion and there was no slop or grittiness at all. I have the quad bearing option.

Speaking of pivots. I recently had the rear shock rebuilt, and while the shock was off I cycled the rear end through it's range of motion and there was no slop or grittiness at all. I have the quad bearing option.
    Is that on the original set of bearings? That's pretty bloody good if that's the case.

I think the quad bearing set up is standard for Ventana now. I know mine has two rows of bearings at each individual pivot, and a needle bearing with a grease fitting at the drive side main pivot. I like the added beef in the pivots for sure. I also had the opportunity to disassemble them and see how they went together, they originally built my frame as a 25" instead of 21", and its a simple well thought out system. 15 years working in shops taught me that simple is always better.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Hey Squish, howís the Capitan treating you? It looks awesome and Iíd like to get a new fs bike in 2018. Iíve loved how trouble free my Ciclonís been, so Iíve got to consider a new Ventana.

How well does she climb? Depending on which local place Iím riding, my trails are either continually changing elevation, with really steep pitches, or rides start with getting all of the fun out of the way. After that itís a sustained fire road slog back to the truck.

Thanks!
    ďWe bring SaturdaysĒ ~ Josh Homme

Iím still loving it, was hoping to get some dirt time in this weekend but Mother Nature felt we needed another 10Ē or so of snow.

Climbing wise, itís not the most efficient bike going up, that nod goes to any of the DW bikes Iíve ridden. That being said it does climb pretty well, and likes being pedaled uphill from the saddle. Every where else itís everything Iíd expect from a trail bike, the suspension is active and smooth, the handling is neutral and does what you tell it to do, it has ground clearance (unlike a lot of the newer full suspension bikes Iíve ridden lately). Itís just a really solid all around bike.

happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Thanks for the reply, Squish.

Iíve ridden some really great carbon rigs when my local shopís had a dirt demo. Buying a bike built here in CA just a couple of hours away sounds better to me. Like I said, my 2011 Ciclon couldnít have been more solid. Iíd just have to decide whether to use her as a trade in...

Worked around carbon a lot in shops in the past. Iíve seen the good and the bad, seen them break on stuff that other bikes would have rolled away from and the other way round. I like the old school approach to these frames and the fact that they are American made. Itís really a tough call any more as truly bad suspension bikes really are few and far between.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Hereís the geometry for the upcoming 2018 El Capitan. Should be ready to roll out in June. Posted this a couple of days ago on the Zeus thread after getting it from Teresa...here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Cap!-99c35037-3b2f-48e8-a090-78fd7e6f1b80.jpg  

Thatís quite the change. But itís what folks want any more and if it drives sales all the better!

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

No known cure
    Thatís quite the change. But itís what folks want any more and if it drives sales all the better!

Happy trails...

Josh
    I'd forgot to reply, but yes, I am on the original bearings but I ride mainly here in Big Bear with my main road trips being the Southern Sierra and Sedona, all with powdery moondust and not much moisture.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Bromy View Post
    Hereís the geometry for the upcoming 2018 El Capitan. Should be ready to roll out in June. Posted this a couple of days ago on the Zeus thread after getting it from Teresa...here you go.
    That geo chart is for a 27.5 x 3.0 tired El Capitan. Will this be the same for 29Ē wheels?

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Iím assuming since itís the El Capo, itís a 29er with 27.5+ compatibility. I didnít ask her to specify, I just know Iím about 90% sure Iím gonna get one when theyíre ready. That is, unless I get a Zeus since the wait is killing me. Either way Iím getting a new Ventana shortly. She did say thatís the first new frame, so others to follow which is awesome too

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    That geo chart is for a 27.5 x 3.0 tired El Capitan. Will this be the same for 29Ē wheels?
    OHM, yes this is for 29er with + compatibility. I have shot Teresa an email to see if she can update the geo chart to avoid any confusion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bervin View Post
    OHM, yes this is for 29er with + compatibility. I have shot Teresa an email to see if she can update the geo chart to avoid any confusion.
    Great news, Iím definitely interested.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Iíll be at Waterdog
    False alarm...for now. Talked to Teresa today to ask her if the new CapitŠn was still scheduled to be ready later this month. She says the new frames are on hold. Sherwoodís not working on them and theyíll not be ready for months. Pretty disappointing since Iíve been collecting parts for it for a while now. Now what? Transition, Ibis, Santa Cruz? Had my heart set on this new frame, but not stoked about waiting until AFTER summer for a new bike. Not sure what the plan is now

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    False alarm...for now. Talked to Teresa today to ask her if the new CapitŠn was still scheduled to be ready later this month. She says the new frames are on hold. Sherwoodís not working on them and theyíll not be ready for months. Pretty disappointing since Iíve been collecting parts for it for a while now. Now what? Transition, Ibis, Santa Cruz? Had my heart set on this new frame, but not stoked about waiting until AFTER summer for a new bike. Not sure what the plan is now
    Yep, received the news as well, been bugging Sherwood for well over a year on this frame and looks now like it won't happen for quite awhile, huge bummer.

I am going with the Knolly Fugitive LT. It has very close to the same geo the new Ventana would have, and in my opinion Knolly's ride as close to a Ventana as all the other top tier bikes out there. We will see.

Definitely not giving up on Ventana as still love my Zeus (new geo), but really want a mid/long travel 29ers for big mountain riding.

Iíll be at Waterdog
    Honestly I would have been happy with the latest Zeus frame with a boost rear end or at least 148 dropouts bolted on, but she shot that down a while ago

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Honestly I would have been happy with the latest Zeus frame with a boost rear end or at least 148 dropouts bolted on, but she shot that down a while ago
    I would check back again with Teresa on the Boost rear for the Zeus.

mtbr member
    That is a bummer to hear. Hopefully itís only on hold and the idea has not been scrapped, the geometry looked really good.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Thread resurrection:

I'd love to see a rework of the El Cap as well. I came to a 3xl Wolfram from an XXL Guerrilla Gravity The Smash. As a tall rider, the Wolfram is a good fit, and so much more efficient than the GG. A new El Cap would be the perfect addition to the quiver, but it is just too "dated" right now. A true 3XL option would great for us big boys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Curious if anyone has checked to see if they are a functioning company any longer?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know the status of the updated El Cap?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    Does anyone know the status of the updated El Cap?

This is a reply from Ventana last month: "We put this frame on the back burner. No ETA. The frame requires a complete redesign and at this time we are not moving forward with this."

This is too bad. Wish someone would buy the company and take it to the next level.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    This is a reply from Ventana last month: "We put this frame on the back burner. No ETA. The frame requires a complete redesign and at this time we are not moving forward with this."

This is too bad. Wish someone would buy the company and take it to the next level.
    That's too bad. I knew the bike had been shelved 5-6 months ago, but was hoping they were still working on it.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.