Cane Creek DB- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cane Creek DB

Never enough time to ride

Cane Creek DB

So was surprised to see the El Cap show up with a DB In-line, I was expecting a Kashima Fox Float. Not at all disappointed, specially after thinking about it while I await th correct front triangle, this shock will probably work better for my 235 pound weight. Having the ability to tune high speed rebound and compression, something that Iíve not had before, will be excellent..

So that being said, input from those who have had or have this shock would be good. Worked on and tuned other shocks, but this one is above and beyond anything Iíve used and serviced in the past.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by squish View Post
    So was surprised to see the El Cap show up with a DB In-line, I was expecting a Kashima Fox Float. Not at all disappointed, specially after thinking about it while I await th correct front triangle, this shock will probably work better for my 235 pound weight. Having the ability to tune high speed rebound and compression, something that Iíve not had before, will be excellent..

So that being said, input from those who have had or have this shock would be good. Worked on and tuned other shocks, but this one is above and beyond anything Iíve used and serviced in the past.

Happy trails...

Josh

Sorry if this is not to helpful but might make you feel better about the surprise.

I have a CC Inline coil on my trail bike. It's probably the best damper I've owned. And CC is great to work with for questions or issues.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Happy trails...

Josh
    Did it come with the Inline or the DB Air IL? The IL is far superior but the Inline was a fantastic upgrade compared to the original Fox FLOAT CTD I had on my Zeus. Don't hesitate to test many setting configurations and go wild in changing the settings (many clicks or half turns at once) to feel how it changes the shock feel and bike behavior. Once you have a feel for what each tunable settings can do, then start adjusting them more finely, one by one. It takes a while to get it perfect and tuned to the trails you ride and riding style. I like to tinker with things so it was fun for me and I learned a lot about shocks in the process....

Proud lame eBiker
    Search around to your nearest local shops and find out if any of them are renting the ShockWiz shock tuner deal(I rent them from my shop $50/week). Look it up. Well worth investing a few weekends worth and pounding out some laps and recording and tinkering.

Don't forget to write down your base settings once you have it dialed in. Nothing worse than loosing your settings and not knowing where you were supposed to be at to begin with.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Thanks for the replies guys. It is the IL, so even better upgrade! Just got done with a 2 hour ride using a shockwiz. Spent some time playing with the setting and ended up with a set up that feels really good and just seems to eat everything up without wallowing around like a sinking boat.

Thus far I am extremely happy with the bike and especially the rear shock. Itís nice to have a damper that seems to be able to support my 235 pound butt and not have an excessive amount of air pressure to keep it from bottoming out, or a high speed rebound circuit the begs for mercy and stops working...

Planning on heading out again tomorrow, just th bike and my camera. Will get some pics to share then.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

Hmmm, stupid me I forgot to take note of which flip chip position was which (threw away the little tag that comes with the frame...). Some guidance would be appreciated.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Search around to your nearest local shops and find out if any of them are renting the ShockWiz shock tuner deal(I rent them from my shop $50/week). Look it up. Well worth investing a few weekends worth and pounding out some laps and recording and tinkering.

Don't forget to write down your base settings once you have it dialed in. Nothing worse than loosing your settings and not knowing where you were supposed to be at to begin with.
    I was told that Shockwiz does not work on DB shocks, is that not true?

Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    I was told that Shockwiz does not work on DB shocks, is that not true?
    Seemed to work just fine. As long as you take it fully theough the calibration process. It will give recommendations for damper settings and changes to make. Just keep in mind that they are suggestions and may not get you to the feel you are looking for.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

Seemed to work just fine. As long as you take it fully through the calibration process. It will give recommendations for damper settings and changes to make. It bases everything off what it sees the air pressure in the shock in doing, how fast the pressure is changing, how hard it ramps up etc... So in theory it will work with any air shock.

It took me from the base line settings and had me add a bit of low speed comp, and back off the high speed comp a bit, I also added some low speed rebound. I had my air pressure dead on for sag, though it did suggest I remove some volume spacers...there are none in the shock. The end result was a well balanced feeling rear end with nice poppy feel off little jumps and such. Im still going to take the various adjustments to the extreme but this will be my base line tune.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hmmm, stupid me I forgot to take note of which flip chip position was which (threw away the little tag that comes with the frame...). Some guidance would be appreciated.

Happy trails...

Josh
    For your El Cap flip chips...rear location is 140mm, front location is 120mm

Quote Originally Posted by bervin View Post
    For your El Cap flip chips...rear location is 140mm, front location is 120mm
    Thatís what I was thinking just want completely sure. Thanks for the help.

Happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Squish, glad to see you are having fun with your El Cap. Cane Creek has an App you can download and you can put your setting in there so you don't forget them.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Cheesiest
    Anyone know what size the El Cap uses?
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"óparaphrased from rhino_adv

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    Anyone know what size the El Cap uses?
    200x57
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.