Anyone ridden an 05' Float R rear shock on a Salty/X5?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Anyone ridden an 05' Float R rear shock on a Salty/X5?

I was considering upgrading to the new Float R for 2005 to put on my 5" Salty. I hear that the shock has been upgraded to be less progressive and more linear (I had trouble with my 04' Float R-it seemed to ramp up in the last 12cm of travel too much). From what I have read, the 05' Float and the 05' RP3 are the same shock, with the Float just lacking the 3-position adjustment (which I have no need for-the stock setting should be OK). My other option is to get my current Float/AVA plushed (I am running the AVA on the smallest chamber, as I found Green Giant's assesment of the AVA to be true-too easy to bottom, at least on the larger settings). I work at a shop, so I can get a good deal on the 05' Float-it wouldn't be much more than getting my current shock PUSH'ed. I figure that the 05' Float has a different chamber and lighter ProPedal settings, while the PUSH mod on the 04' probably has a smaller chamber (more progressive) but will be tuned to my riding style. Which do you think is the better alternative. Either way, it will be nice to get away from the AVA sleeve-kind of heavy and really klunky looking.

Bodhisattva
    The difference between an '04 AVA Float & '05 Float is 100gm. We weighed them at Mtn High Recently. Not a real big weight savings there. I haven't ridden the '05 Float yet and I hear that it's a lot plusher than the '04 due to the larger chamber, but you can't beat the custom valving offered by PUSH. The shock just sticks to the ground which translates into control.
    FYI: a good source told me that the AM1 & Z1 lowers are interchangeable.