Alpino?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Alpino?

mtbr member

Alpino?

There's not a lot of chatter about the Alpino floating around on the web. I'd like to hear some impressions and see some pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Can't speak for the Alpino, but I absolutely love my El Cap/Zeus custom! I assume Alpino is also amazing...

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    I think with all the media buzz about Enduro this Enduro that, A Lot of capable, good handling bikes sub 140mm get lost in all that noise. The Alpino strikes me as a lot of bike snuck into "Just" 120mm travel. I rode with a guy at Mammoth who was on an Alpino and following us down double diamonds with it. Was he upfront? No, was he on the ideal bike for Recoil or Twilight Zone? Of course not but he was riding those trails. He loves his bike.
    AND if folks really evaluated their riding styles, and terrain, do they really need 160mm of travel all the time? Probably not. I know I'm one of them. Could I be very happy on the Alpino? Most likely yes as my go to everyday FS bike is a beefed up Salty running 120F/110 rear. But I won't lie about the "sexy" allure of the Zeus big travel with not much weight/efficiency loss.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hi all,

This is my first post.... hello again!

I'd like to second the request. Any news or feedback?

I'm getting ready to upgrade from an 2002 El Salt. Besides randomly switching rides with friends, I have been riding either the El Salt or a 29'er hardtail from a local framebuilder I've owned since 2007.

Anyways, I'm torn between the Alpino and the El Capitan, so I'd love some thoughts.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I built my alpino up for long distance rides and specifically for this one particular 100 mile mtb race that i talked myself into riding. So my build was prob more XC oriented from what i'd typically build myself. That being said, the bike is a ferrari and cornering is stable from the stiff ventana chassis. The new bearing placement at the main pivot provides much better platform for pedaling and the bike accelerates very well and climbs very well too. I think if i were to do it over i'd put a 130 or 140mm travel fork up front and something with 34mm stanchions. Something that brings a comparible amount of stiffness as the frame. This SID 120 that i threw on here was really over whelmed when decending aggressively....fwiw, i weigh in around 160-170 depending on the season.

I regretably sold mine to a buddyAlpino?-img_4137.jpg recently as i had way too many bikes in the quiver. Not that this is possible but when one makes the mistake to calculate the investment of 5-6 bikes it kinda makes one a little queasy. Plus i accomplished my goal of finishing the 100 mile ride...12 1/2 hours and i told myself i'd never attempt that again. But honestly, a beautiful bike that i had a blast getting to know.

a few pic here too: RBB Blog: Alpine

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I would recommend the El Cap...can switch between 120 and 140 mm and the bike is a very good climber. Feels pretty lightweight to me, but I'm 260 so it is all relative. I regard it as a true all mountain bike with quite good climbing capabilities.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am GASing for one of those. Had my share of bigger bikes and 120 turned out to be my sweet spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nwmtb View Post
    I built my alpino up for long distance rides and specifically for this one particular 100 mile mtb race that i talked myself into riding. So my build was prob more XC oriented from what i'd typically build myself. That being said, the bike is a ferrari and cornering is stable from the stiff ventana chassis. The new bearing placement at the main pivot provides much better platform for pedaling and the bike accelerates very well and climbs very well too. I think if i were to do it over i'd put a 130 or 140mm travel fork up front and something with 34mm stanchions. Something that brings a comparible amount of stiffness as the frame. This SID 120 that i threw on here was really over whelmed when decending aggressively....fwiw, i weigh in around 160-170 depending on the season.

I regretably sold mine to a buddyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4137.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	271.6 KB 
ID:	943671 recently as i had way too many bikes in the quiver. Not that this is possible but when one makes the mistake to calculate the investment of 5-6 bikes it kinda makes one a little queasy. Plus i accomplished my goal of finishing the 100 mile ride...12 1/2 hours and i told myself i'd never attempt that again. But honestly, a beautiful bike that i had a blast getting to know.

a few pic here too: RBB Blog: Alpine
    Nice looking bike. Any additional thoughts on a 130/140 fork on the Alpino? I assume it's Ventana approved?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've had a Zeus for two years of solid riding and I love it! I'm almost finished building up an Alpino 17/19 custom and will send in pix and ride reports asap. Weight is only slightly less than the Zeus and it will have the 130mm Pike. The top tube from the 19" frame with the 17" seat tube and head tube fits me perfectly, the Zeus is a 17" stock frame. It will be interesting to see if I miss the 140mm travel in the Zeus....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I will be building an Alpino with a Revelation 130mm in the next few weeks. Will post how it feels when trail conditions allow it. I also ride a Zeus set at 140mm rear travel with a 150mm Pike, so the comparison will be interesting.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to seeing and hearing what you guys end up with.

Proud lame eBiker
    Building up a customers Alpino this week. Snap some shots of the build process.

Customer used a demo bike from my shop last October and went and did a four day 'adventure' race cold turkey with no time on the bike other than me setting the sag and damping and tire pressure. Off he went. He was blown away at the smoothness of the bike, and how snappy and solid it felt at the same time. He had ridden a handful of carbon 27.5" 120mm bikes and far and away was impressed the most by the Alpino.
    Typical Ventana....quietly producing under the radar bikes that outshine other mega-marketing driven bikes.

Just took a few months to scrape together all the funds to build it up.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Hey Myke, any pics?
    -Aaron G.

Proud lame eBiker

Alpino?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Proud lame eBiker

Alpino?

Proud lame eBiker
    Alpino frame w/12x142 dropouts. Carbon Black with rear powdered to match.
    RS Revelation RTC3 fork at 140mm travel.

Hope PRoIIEVO hubs 32h
    FlowEX rims
    Revolution spokes and alloy(black/blue) nipples. 1750grams for the set.

RF Turbine CINCH cranks. Totally impressed with this crankset for the money!

X01 shifter/der/cassette/chain for the most part.

Guide RCS brakes and Centerline rotors.

Silverado Ti saddle.

Turbine bar and stem.

RideXC post.

CC40 headset

Ergon grips.

Just under 28lbs w/o pedals.

Clean ride!

mtbr member
    That's a nice looking bike. What size?

Proud lame eBiker

Alpino?

Large.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    DAYUM!! Wow bike, would love to hear how he likes especially locally.
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Alpino?

Now the fun begins

Proud lame eBiker

Alpino?

JC822....she's looking great in all white! Like it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Two rides on the Alpino now.....snappy and stiff! Custom level one geometry of 17/19 is perfect for me, and now I get to run an 80 mm stem instead of a 100-110. Pike 130 is great right out of the box where as my Fox 34 on my Zeus took a long time to break in. Platform on the Monarch Debonair is stiffer than the Fox on the #3 setting. The rear end on the bike is quite active but I can't feel it moving unless I look down at the shock!

I can't say I miss the Zeus on my normal rides as both of my bikes are set up similarly and pretty beefy. I'll have to see when I take it down some chunkier trails but this just might be the sweet spot for me. Shout out to Myke at Velo City in Winters for all his help!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How do you find the Debonair compared to the Fox FLOAT when they are fully open? Does it feel like it has more support in mid stroke? Any difference in small bump compliance?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    heading to Downieville this weekend, full report when I get back

climber
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty dunn View Post
    heading to Downieville this weekend, full report when I get back
    Any trails to ride there this time of year? Just curious?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The lower half of Mill's Peak on the Graeagle side of the Lakes Basin is clear plus some other trails over there. Not much snow this year. Not sure about the Downieville trails proper. Quincy has some fun trails too

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Hi all,

Well, I went for it and it just came in the mail today! Sherwood pointed me towards the Alpino instead of the Zeus or El Capitan, which sealed the deal. I'll be out of town for a bit and am waiting on some parts, so it will be a couple of weeks until I can build it up. I'll get back with impressions from my Sonoma County trails ASAP.

As of now, should be:

XX1 1x, 28t cog
    Cane Creek DB Inline shock
    Fox Float fork, 120mm
    XTR Trail brakes
    Derby rims
    Old C King Hubs
    KS Lev Integra post

As before, Ventana service was top notch, and you can't beat the 30% trade in. It is a bit sad to see the El Salt go though!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alpino?-img_2683.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice looking frames JC822 and Corbatadog. I like the the white rear triangle with the white frame. And that green looks really nice too.

Corbatadog, Were you able to get the CCDB inline direct from Ventana? Is that a medium frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yes, it's a medium. The CCDB Inline was direct as they suggested it. They said they are considering making it standard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would say that the monarch does stay higher up in its travel vs. the fox though the fox is two years old without an oil change. Running 30% sag and will try a bit less air pressure to get full travel.

CEO Product Failure
    Interesting King HS. I thought the internal (King) HS was the only option?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's a mix of CK external bearing cups. The upper one is from the basic 1 1/8 headset (34mm diameter) and the bottom one is for a 44mm head tube. Not sure CK sells it as a whole, you may need to buy the 2 cups separately...

I should be out riding
    CK doesn't sell it as a whole. It is available through Ventana though. IIRC Teresa said that Cane Creek also sells this combination.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Alpino?

Finished building the Alpino and had its maiden ride today. Fast, snappy, stiff and plush, all at once. Really felt awesome. The Revelation at 130mm felt well balanced with the rear and did not make the front wonder at all on steep climbs, so I am pretty happy with my choice. The Fox FLOAT shock will need to go, especially after enjoying a DB Inline on the Zeus, but I am not sure if I will go for a Monarch or the Inline.... By the way, the frame is ready for an upgrade to a stealth dropper post in the future.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Now that I've got some time on my Alpino (about 1.5 years), I wanted to jump back in here:

Although I am biased as a dedicated Ventana owner, this bike is epic, having ridden my fair share of bikes over the years and recently. Incredibly stiff, balanced, and lively. I appreciate the somewhat moderate geometry by current standards. This frame crushes the climbs, with minimal wandering up front on the short steeps. It is zippy through the tight twisty singletrack here in West Sonoma County, and when pointed downhill it is stable, nimble and just plain fun. Best bike I've ever owned, and at this point, can't imagine wanting anything else. The only change on the near horizon is swapping out the 2015 Fox 34. Another example of Sherwood nailing it!
    Alpino?-alpino-small.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New Alpino to replace X-5

I've lurked on here for a long time, but wanted to pass along some initial impressions on the Alpino since it doesn't seem to get a lot of press..

I traded in my '04 X-5 frame on a new Alpino frame, and to help keep the costs down, moved my wheels and components from my couple year old Cotic Soul (hardtail). The components on the X-5 were largely an older standard and getting pretty tired.

The Alpino has a similar ride as the X-5, rigid laterally, easy to loft the front wheel, climbs great. It has less suspension movement while climbing and feels more efficient there. I'm running a Fox 34 Talas on the front, set to 120/140 travel.. I've been keeping it in 120mm travel so far (only a couple of rides in). Climbing and switchbacks seem better on the Alpino so far than either the Soul or the X-5, may just be new bike excitement though.. The 34 seems to be well balanced with the rest of the bike to me (only a couple muddy rides so far though). Since the picture (if it attaches), I've added a dropper post, the frame is pre-drilled as a standard with the access hole on the backside of the seat tube, so the cable runs under the BB (different than an earlier picture that I've seen somewhere).

I currently live outside of Pittsburgh, but have lived and ridden in W. Va., Texas (mainly road for me there) and California (night rides in Demo were great) and have taken trips to Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Upstate NY, NC, and probably several others for riding vacations. I often ride solo and have become fairly cautious, but the Alpino feels like a great bike and I wouldn't hesitate to take it riding in any of the places that I've been before.Alpino?-img_20170730_102625666.jpg

So far, I'm very happy and would continue to recommend Ventana bikes and service to anyone.

mtbr member
    Very curious about the Alpino. Does anyone know the frame weight of a 17in and/or 19in with rear shock & no other parts installed?

Is there anyone who would be able to compare the ride characteristics of the Alpino to that of a 26" Ellsworth Truth?
    (this is what I have been riding for a number of years and they share the same frame material [aluminum] and a very similar rear suspension design.)
    ===========================
    The Adventure Biker: https://goo.gl/oDtXsP
    Tandem Adventurers: https://goo.gl/26KABa

mtbr member
    Not a direct comparison but the El Cap and the 4" frame(cant remember the name) were very plush and active on small stuff and they seem to run out of leverage rather than shock travel so no bottom out on the big stuff. more reliant on the platform shock than the Truth and Epiphany I had. very stiff and strong frames.