Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40

    Advice please...

    I have a 2003 El Fuego (not the lightweight racing version Teresa has told me). It has a 4" rocker installed which, in essence, makes it identical to an El Saltamonte (again as told to me by Teresa). It sports an RP3 rear shock and Fox 100RLC fork (100mm).

    I like to climb, but I'm also looking for more comfort on the descents. Is there anything I could do to my current set-up? I've read that 4" is pretty much the max on this bike and anything more might make the bike ride weirdly.

    If the suggestion is to move to a different Ventana frame, can any of you describe to me what I can expect in terms of riding dynamics between my bike and the El Ciclon? Does anyone suggest I go with something that is even more different?

    Thanks so much in advance.

  2. #2
    Shot Down in Flames...
    Reputation: D-Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,218
    El Ciclón. Climbs just as good as a Salty, descends much better. You could trade-in your front triangle but would need new rockers and shock so a frame trade may be cheaper. Add a Pike and you have a match made in heaven.


    D.

  3. #3
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    How do you have the shock set up (sag and PSI)? Have you thought of sending the shock to PUSH to get it trail tuned? I know their are some on this board that poopoo PUSH but they can dial that shock in to your frame and riding style. Over than the difference in leverage ratios their is not a whole lot of difference between 4" or 5". I would check out the cheaper route first.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    El Ciclón. Climbs just as good as a Salty, descends much better. You could trade-in your front triangle but would need new rockers and shock so a frame trade may be cheaper. Add a Pike and you have a match made in heaven.


    D.
    Thanks, D-Rock. I contact Ventana to discuss their trade-in program. Still kickin' the tires at this point.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    How do you have the shock set up (sag and PSI)? Have you thought of sending the shock to PUSH to get it trail tuned? I know their are some on this board that poopoo PUSH but they can dial that shock in to your frame and riding style. Over than the difference in leverage ratios their is not a whole lot of difference between 4" or 5". I would check out the cheaper route first.
    Thanks, mtn...

    I've got both shocks set at 25% sag. However, I think for me it might be more than just shock settings; I'm thinking I want something that also has a longer fork (100 vs. 140mm) and more laid back geometry.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40

    Rocker question - 5" vs. 5.5"

    The '08 El Ciclon has 5" rockers, while the '09's have 5.5". Is that extra 1/2 an inch going to be noticeable? Would a 5" rocker theoretically, if not practically, make the bike more nimble than the 5.5"?

    Thanks.

  7. #7
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,342
    Quote Originally Posted by El Fuego
    The '08 El Ciclon has 5" rockers, while the '09's have 5.5". Is that extra 1/2 an inch going to be noticeable? Would a 5" rocker theoretically, if not practically, make the bike more nimble than the 5.5"?

    Thanks.
    More nimble no, as the bike's geo did not change significantly with the rocker change. Will you notice the difference? Oh yeah, I much preffer the 09' 5.51" rockers over the 5". The kinetics are just better, period.

    Plusher with less wallow. Lower Air Pressure per given weight.

    BTW, Sherwood has always recommened 30% Sag for all his suspension setups.
    Might give that a go on the old Salty first. I found that the psi increase to get 25% sag on my Salty made it a touch harsh and I never got the last 5-10mm of travel (at the shock shaft). At the lower psi of 30% I got full travel without harshness or hard bottom out. BTW I run the large Air can on my RP23.. that will be a huge difference if you don't have that already.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  8. #8
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by El Fuego
    The '08 El Ciclon has 5" rockers, while the '09's have 5.5". Is that extra 1/2 an inch going to be noticeable? Would a 5" rocker theoretically, if not practically, make the bike more nimble than the 5.5"?

    Thanks.
    Along with the travel change their is Seat Angle, Head Angle, and fork offset. When I ordered my 2009 semi-custom front triangle.....I got it with 2007 geometry but a longer top tube and a 2" down tube. I like the 2007 geometry.....my old Ciclon railed and I wanted the same but with a tad longer top tube. Here is a great quote.

    "When you're through f*@kin' around, you call Sherwood!" - D-Rock

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.