Where should I go on vacation?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Where should I go on vacation?

I'm on the east coast (DC), and I want to go somewhere for some intermediate riding over Thanksgiving (end of Nov/start of Dec).

Criteria:
    -Enough variety/options for 3 or 4 full days of riding
    -We'll be riding FS bikes with ~130mm front & rear
    -Cool weather is okay, but I'd like to keep it above 50/55 degrees
    -Driving from DC (~10 hr radius) or flying works (depending on price), but I don't want to fly somewhere and then drive for more than 4 hours.
    -We will need to be able to stay somewhere reasonably nearby the trails (30-45min max)
    -Interesting terrain would be nice, something different than MD/PA
    -Beer options and decent food are a big plus.

Go!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by strumke View Post
    I'm on the east coast (DC), and I want to go somewhere for some intermediate riding over Thanksgiving (end of Nov/start of Dec).

Criteria:
    -Driving from DC (~10 hr radius) or flying works (depending on price), but I don't want to fly somewhere and then drive for more than 4 hours.
    -We will need to be able to stay somewhere reasonably nearby the trails (30-45min max)

Go!
    So you're asking which riding location people most recently visited?

Have you ridden all the East Coast usual suspects (Stokesville, Roanoke, Pisgah, etc)? Are you interested in bike parks? With this little criteria you'll get a HUGE range of opinions, I'd try to narrow it down some.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Not sure where there's good riding and good weather within 10 hours of your location at that time of year. I'm thinking it's time to fly west. Way west.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    So you're asking which riding location people most recently visited?

Have you ridden all the East Coast usual suspects (Stokesville, Roanoke, Pisgah, etc)? Are you interested in bike parks? With this little criteria you'll get a HUGE range of opinions, I'd try to narrow it down some.
    As Blatant put it, I don't think there's going to be good riding in a 10 hr driving distance of DC, so I'm likely looking at something far west (AZ, Cali, New Mexico?) but I know nothing about the temps/qualities/post-riding-fun-stuff/etc.

I'm not looking to fly across the country to go to a jump park, I want miles and fun terrain. My bike nor I am ready for real DH, and I would want something that needs more bike than gravel roads or light XC (~29lb ~130 travel FS bikes). I'm asking because I simply don't know where to focus.

Professional Crastinator
    Blue Ridge, GA

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8011461/blue-ridge

Brush Cr.-Old Copper Rd.-Ocoee Whitewater Ctr.
    Pinhote (this trail is awesome!)-Cohutta
    Bull Mt./Jake Mt. (IMBA Epic)
    Green Mt.-Stanley Gap-Flat Cr.

High trail return on your travel investment.
    Good eats, too.

We did 110 mi. in 4 days. Rented a house on Lake Blue Ridge. Rode to the Green Mt. trailhead.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Meatbomb
    Phoenix area has everything you are looking for.

mtbr member
    That time of year trails and riding are great in North East, it's all about the temperature. As you head North or West of DC the temps can vary greatly that time of year so if you're not ok with riding in cooler temps you need to look elsewhere.

I'm in CT and every year some of the best riding is late fall. Singletrack is firm and fast with super traction. Temps vary and can range from 40's to 70's...just dress for it. I'm sure any good singletrack locations within 10hrs of DC are a similar situation.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    That time of year trails and riding are great in North East, it's all about the temperature. As you head North or West of DC the temps can vary greatly that time of year so if you're not ok with riding in cooler temps you need to look elsewhere.

I'm in CT and every year some of the best riding is late fall. Singletrack is firm and fast with super traction. Temps vary and can range from 40's to 70's...just dress for it. I'm sure any good singletrack locations within 10hrs of DC are a similar situation.
    Last Thanksgiving I was in Asheville and rode in the Pisgah. It was between 15-40 degrees and super windy with some snow/ice on the ground in the higher places. I loved the area, but I'm looking to avoid that gamble on the weather. If I stayed home, I could plan around the weather for some shorter drives, but it would be nice to get away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Phoenix area has everything you are looking for.
    I was thinking that would be a good option. Do we stay in Phoenix or head out to somewhere like Sedona/Tuscon/etc?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Last Thanksgiving I was in Asheville and rode in the Pisgah. It was between 15-40 degrees and super windy with some snow/ice on the ground in the higher places. I loved the area, but I'm looking to avoid that gamble on the weather. If I stayed home, I could plan around the weather for some shorter drives, but it would be nice to get away.
    This is my only concern, but if you stay in Brevard NC and like cold weather you can ride Pisgah and Dupont. Lots of variety. But after October I'd vacation more SW for warmer weather.

mbtr member
    I was thinking that would be a good option. Do we stay in Phoenix or head out to somewhere like Sedona/Tuscon/etc?
    Phoenix?!?! Hell no.

Sedona fosho.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

since 4/10/2009
    I'd say that for Thanksgiving, that was unusually cold for around here. I miss out on more riding during that time of year because of holiday commitments than the weather.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm pretty sure you'll be driving unless you like spending a lot of money on airfare. Thanksgiving is always brutal, but especially so this year due to the 737 Max debacle.

mtbr member
    Subscribed. I'm getting a new Ripmo in two weeks and would like to plan a Fall trip.

I was considering Asheville, NC too. Just now looked at average daily temps for late November and see mid 50's highs and low 30s for lows. That's a bit brisk for me - especially camping for a week. In temps like that, get a chill, and I simply can't warm up.

I looked into Bentonville, Arkansas too. But for your dates, temps are similarly low. Brown County, IN. Even colder. Harold?

Maybe I'll go earlier in October? Wanna see other suggestions though. I'm a tag-along on your thread at this point.

Meatbomb
    The Phoenix area has a lot of options!!!

You can go to Sedona as suggested but weather may be an issue and you'll end up driving back down to Phoenix.

Get a rental in the north east valley and ride the McDowells. you will be happy with hundreds of miles of trails from your rental and a close drive to other great areas if you have time.

Sedona and Tucson are 2 hours away. In Phoenix you are 20- 30 minutes away at most for optional riding.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I always giggle when people say this. I live here. I ride in Sedona regularly. Phoenix is better and the weather will be nicer that time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Phoenix?!?! Hell no.

Sedona fosho.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I always giggle when people say this. I live here. I ride in Sedona regularly. Phoenix is better and the weather will be nicer that time of year.
    I did a trip a couple years ago, spent a week in scottsdale and phoenix, and 3 weeks in sedona. Scottdale was rad. Sedona got boring because there's no vert, but that first week was incredible and it's a beautiful place. Phoenix is a nasty town, and although you can ride 'big terrain' there, it's not worth flying out to visit. I'd travel to phoenix if i lived 2 hours away though, definitely.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

change is good
    Sep 2004

Phoenix?!?! Hell no.

Sedona fosho.
    Sedona.....

I lived in western MD and rode the Shed a lot and occasionally Micheaux and Rothrock. I think Georgia and Alabama may be s crap shoot. But with aggressive tires and proper clothing the world is your oyster as long as youíre riding Appalachia ridge lines. Arkansas? Used to live in Indiana - Brown Co heck no.

Airbnb Penn State, DHR2s, and chill with many of the students being gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

change is good
    Sep 2004

Another thing about Sedona is Flag being so close. But fires and logging sort of slowed things down.

So if youíre lucky Flag may be open.

The restaurants in neighboring Cottonwood are better than Sedona. Also, Iíve grown to appreciate the dessert beauty of Dead Horse.

Then thereís Black Canyon a little south of Sedona.

Plenty of XC in Phoenix..Good restaurants. Itís not very dangerous. If youíre used to DC/Baltimore, you will be fine. South Mountain will kill you. The riding in Sedona/Flag is better or I would live in Phoenix......

The dessert surrounding Tucson is beautiful and Mt. Lemmon has varied trials.

Fly into Phoenix, check the weather, go to LBS and get trail info, hit the road in a mini van, and use Priceline.

Also being ďunder tiredĒ can affect your fun factor. I came one year with Ardents on my Following. Then Nobby Nics. On my 429T Iím running a 2.3 DHF DC and a 2.3 Aggressor. Overkill for XC, but not for Sedona and the downs at Flag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    There's no good riding in Flagstaff at present due to fires; plus it'll be winter on the mountain during the OP's timeframe. I do agree that higher up on Mt. Elden is probably the most fun riding in Arizona.

Tucson is also rad, but again little riding at higher elevations on Mt. Lemmon that time of year.

Phoenix is nasty? OK. It's one of the biggest cities in the country. The OP is from the DC area. I'm also originally from Maryland. DC and Baltimore are, in fact, nasty. Phoenix is a relative breath of fresh air comparatively.

Look, Sedona is cool and a fun place. For a day. Maybe two. But there's no real elevation and you can only stare at red rock formations for so long, unless you're also an amateur geologist.

Phoenix has many more miles, more variety, more elevation gain/loss and the weather at that time will be fantastic. Pick a vacation rental in Central Phoenix or Scottsdale, and you'll be a 20- to 30-minute drive from all major riding destinations in the Valley.

mbtr member

Look, Sedona is cool and a fun place. For a day. Maybe two. But there's no real elevation and you can only stare at red rock formations for so long, unless you're also an amateur geologist.

Phoenix has many more miles, more variety, more elevation gain/loss and the weather at that time will be fantastic. Pick a vacation rental in Central Phoenix or Scottsdale, and you'll be a 20- to 30-minute drive from all major riding destinations in the Valley.
    I've ridden the white tanks, mcdowells, superior, and south mountain. Fun trail systems, for sure, but if you're looking for rad descents... meh. Not worth flying across the country for, when there's squamish, bellingham, downieville, tahoe, moab.. (heck, i prefer my local santa cruz trails)... I think i'd rather MTB vacation in temecula over phoenix.

Sedona you can literally ride singletrack out of the airport to your hotel, and a car is completely unnecessary. There's not a lot of vert, but it's good riding. As fun as anything i saw in phx, for sure- i preferred it. And the town is super cute.

Did i miss some fantastic phoenix trails?
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    But ... the subject is good trails to ride in December with NICE WEATHER. Is there nice weather in December in Squamish? Tahoe? Bellingham?

Your Phoenix experience was apparently insufficiently rad and I have no interest in changing your opinion. Many folks will say that the bigger stuff on South Mountain (National, 24th, Devastator, Geronimo, Ranger, Corona de Loma, Old Man, ad nauseum) compares well with fast, gnarly, technical riding anywhere.

The only thing in Sedona that comes close is Hi Line and Hangover.

I swear, trying to offer helpful experience to other riders on this site is ridiculous. Everything devolves into a big-d!ck contest.

OP: Good luck on your vacation, wherever you choose.

Meatbomb
    Mines bigger.

CEO Product Failure
    LOL. 10 hrs from DC, has me laughing. Last time I drove from Fredericksburg to DC it felt like 5 hours.

Weather is going to be a factor for anything within a 10hr drive.

My recommendations for flying: Tucscon AZ. TONs of off-the-map and undiscovered trails. This place is what I imagine Moab was like 40 yrs ago. If you go, I'll set you up with a contact and shop to (BikeFlights) ship your bike to. FYI-Tucson has it all: xc, flow, enduro, and, yes...a 4-6 hr long DH ride. Truly unbelievable.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, Tucson is awesome. The best stuff is on Mt. Lemmon and the higher elevations will likely be closed due to weather. Funky city, good food. I don't get down there to ride as often as I should.

mbtr member
    But ... the subject is good trails to ride in December with NICE WEATHER. Is there nice weather in December in Squamish? Tahoe? Bellingham?

Your Phoenix experience was apparently insufficiently rad and I have no interest in changing your opinion. Many folks will say that the bigger stuff on South Mountain (National, 24th, Devastator, Geronimo, Ranger, Corona de Loma, Old Man, ad nauseum) compares well with fast, gnarly, technical riding anywhere.

The only thing in Sedona that comes close is Hi Line and Hangover.

I swear, trying to offer helpful experience to other riders on this site is ridiculous. Everything devolves into a big-d!ck contest.

OP: Good luck on your vacation, wherever you choose.

I just feel like you're better off saving your big-mountain high speed gnar trip for the summer, when there are better destinations for that stuff. There are lots of places to go that are still a heap of fun, and offer a better vacation experience. Although they might not have the high speed chunk that SoMo offers. (which as you say, is excellent)
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Meatbomb
    I just feel like you're better off saving your big-mountain high speed gnar trip for the summer, when there are better destinations for that stuff.
    I don't think he's looking for big-mountain etc... not what i read in the OP.

Criteria:

mtbr member
    So Phoenix, Tucson, or Sedona? Santa Fe has good airfare too. Let the debate ensue!

I Googled east coast mountain bike destinations and some unexpected results appeared from Singletracks - some with suitable weather and some not.

At least to me - the unexpected included: State College, PA; Roanoke, VA; and - surprisingly - Ocala, FL for a trail system called Santos.

The OP's late November timing makes this tough! My vacation may potentially be as early as last week of September. So my options are bountiful. I'm still interested in following this thread though.

From Boston, Phoenix is appealing for cheap airfare and access to multiple locations within a couple hours.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I don't think he's looking for big-mountain etc... not what i read in the OP.

Criteria:
    Yes, exactly!
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Lots of awesome options!

The dates are what they are (basically I have a week free from the kiddo, so this is when I can go).

I'm not looking for "big mountain" but a mix of ups and downs, "trail" riding, between XC and Enduro...if you want to use that label might sum it up the best. A little XC is okay, a little enduro is okay too.

One potential option based on the suggestions below would be to monitor the weather and start driving towards Asheville and if it's too cold/shitty, continue to the Blue Ridge area of GA. I do really like the idea of the SW deserts, so if flights look reasonable then I might just solidify that instead.

Still open to other ideas if folks have them.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by connolm View Post
    Santa Fe has good airfare too.
    I haven't been to santa fe in the winter, but isnt's it at like 7000'?

I suppose st. george/hurricane are cool options too. I've ridden there in the winter, and it was nippy but pleasant during the day. I was camping in january, which was cold. Not sure if there's a week's worth of new trails (i use it as a stopover destination while traveling), but the Rampage site is nearby, as is Zion NP.
    Last edited by scottzg; 09-12-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I too am considering a trip to Sedona/Tucson . But how do i transport my bike when i get off the plane? I donít want to ship my trailer hitch bike rack. I suppose I could rent a minivan and live out of it but Iíd rather have a vehicle with a saris/Thule rack on a high to accommodate my bike. Has anyone found this available?

mtbr member
    I've rented bike racks. But ultimately I just pick a rental with drops seats, pull my front wheel, and huck the bike inside. This is especially nice if the hotel gets fussy about bikes in the rooms. And who gives a flip if you make a mess in a rental? (Other than the vacuum guy at Hertz...) It can't be any worse than three kids and a box of crackers.

mtbr member
    May 2019

Awesome Mountain Biking Destinations

Great question! There are some incredible mountain bike destinations, both driving distance on east coast and within an easy drive from major airports out West. Our favorites for that time of year are Moab, Sedona and North Georgia/North Carolina. Here is a blog article that talks about the top 13 mountain bike towns with a guide for free camping! All of these destinations have incredible free camping options to reduce the cost of your trip (and increase your outdoor activities!) I hope you find this useful, and have a fantastic trip! Shoot back any questions you have, I've personally been to all of these destinations and would love to help you plan!

Best,
    Julie Singh

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    That's a great site, thanks!

mtbr member
    Ellijay has me thinking. Super cheap airfare to Atlanta. For the OP, google flights shows round trips from DC under $200. Still need a car rental though - so budget accordingly. (I didn't price for thanksgiving - so double check.)

mtbr member
    Wow. Even on Thanksgiving week! Two hour flight for $223. DC to Atlanta. Then two hours or less to Ellijay.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Absolutely, so glad we could help! That's a great price for airfare, especially for Thanksgiving. Ellijay has fantastic riding, and so does Blue Ridge (about 45 minutes past Ellijay). Blue Ridge has a few more options for dining & nightlife. Check out Pinhoti 1, 2, and 3 for riding near Ellijay - fantastic trails! Mulberry Gap is great option for camping and cabins, right next to the trails - it's a well known mountain bike getaway! Blue Ridge's Aska trail system is our favorite, solid intermediate and advanced trails. Cartecay Bike shop in Ellijay rents bikes - we don't have them listed on our site yet but are working on it! Enjoy!!