mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Warm February destination suggestions

Im looking for a destination in the continental US for my wife and I to go mtbing this February.

Ideally, wed like to find a place thats warm, has rental bikes available, and has higher end accommodations available in the area.
    Looking to ride moderate trails about 10 miles a day for 2 or 3 days.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    2017 Trek Fuel ex 8 29er

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    Define warm? Bentonville jumps out at me right away, although it'll be good mountain biking weather most likely, warm might not be the term I'd use. If you're looking for a fun getaway with mountain biking available, I'd look at Sarasota/Tampa. We rented sweet bikes from AJs Bike and Boards and rode at Balm Boyette and Alafia. Both are excellent trail systems that have plenty of green trails, very approachable Blue/Black trails but also some pretty crazy gnar. Riding in Florida is kind of like riding on the moon (especially Alafia) and you won't soon forget it. Ride in the morning, beaches in the afternoon.

My next winter trip would be Vegas (cheap flights) and then heading up to Hurricane, UT for some sweet mesa riding on a couple IMBA epics and hitting some national parks.
    SR Suntour guru. envelo rep.

http://www.instagram.com/darkins44

Nat
    mtbr member
    Tucson, Arizona
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Sedona, Arizona

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Warm - anything over 65. 60 in the morning would be ok.

Ill check out Balm Boyette and Alafia. I know I can get a direct flight to Tampa from Milwaukee.
    Ill also look into Bentonville.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    2017 Trek Fuel ex 8 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I've been hiking in Sedona but not biking.
    Another good option.
    Thanks
    2017 Trek Fuel ex 8 29er

mtbr member
    I would stick with AZ. Sedona probably doesn't hit your mark of 65 but PHX and Tucson have legitimate shots. Florida may have the temperatures you're after but they have NO mountains. You might be on a bike on dirt but you aren't mountain biking.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I would stick with AZ. Sedona probably doesn't hit your mark of 65 but PHX and Tucson have legitimate shots. Florida may have the temperatures you're after but they have NO mountains. You might be on a bike on dirt but you aren't mountain biking.
    Thats a good point.
    PHX is on the list. I plan on making this an annual trip, going somewhere different every year.
    Thanks
    2017 Trek Fuel ex 8 29er

mtbr member
    There are very few things I'll defend Florida on, but fun having fun MTBing is one of them. No mountains but they make great use of terrain and what little elevation they have. Plus the wildlife viewing, vegetation and environment are very cool. For a short trip there is more than enough in the Tampa area. Someone mentioned Alafia and Balm Boyette, then there is also Carter Rd aka Loyce Harpe Park near Mulberry. I did a work trip last year and took a couple days off to make for a 4-day weekend - trip report linked below. Carter Rd was my favorite ride followed by Alafia and BB. I thought Santos/Ocala was overrated and wouldn't bother with Hillsborough again. I'd definitely consider FL as a trip for February time frame. If you have more than a few days then yeah, AZ is the place to go. Temps will be cooler in the mornings though but warms up fast.

http://forums.mtbr.com/southeast-mid...a-1066048.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Solid+1 the suggestions for Tucson. I've been going down there for the past 4 years and will continue to go any chance I get.

Super fun riding at TMP, Mt. Lemmon and along the Arizona Trail. Great cycling scene with friendly people. Amazing food, cool little downtown core, good beer if that's your thing. So many things I love with such contrasting differences to where I live.

Being such a cycling city Tucson has many great bike shops. Tracking down quality rentals shouldn't be an issue. I'd talk to the staff at Arizona Cyclist on Broadway, they'd be able to help steer you in the right direction.

I love Tucson!
    @adamalphabet

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    There are very few things I'll defend Florida on, but fun having fun MTBing is one of them. No mountains but they make great use of terrain and what little elevation they have. Plus the wildlife viewing, vegetation and environment are very cool. For a short trip there is more than enough in the Tampa area. Someone mentioned Alafia and Balm Boyette, then there is also Carter Rd aka Loyce Harpe Park near Mulberry. I did a work trip last year and took a couple days off to make for a 4-day weekend - trip report linked below. Carter Rd was my favorite ride followed by Alafia and BB. I thought Santos/Ocala was overrated and wouldn't bother with Hillsborough again. I'd definitely consider FL as a trip for February time frame. If you have more than a few days then yeah, AZ is the place to go. Temps will be cooler in the mornings though but warms up fast.

http://forums.mtbr.com/southeast-mid...a-1066048.html
    Evdog, thanks for all your really great info.
    Weve decided on Alafia and BB this year.

Thanks again for your post.
    2017 Trek Fuel ex 8 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Addy Marx View Post
    Solid+1 the suggestions for Tucson. I've been going down there for the past 4 years and will continue to go any chance I get.

Super fun riding at TMP, Mt. Lemmon and along the Arizona Trail. Great cycling scene with friendly people. Amazing food, cool little downtown core, good beer if that's your thing. So many things I love with such contrasting differences to where I live.

Being such a cycling city Tucson has many great bike shops. Tracking down quality rentals shouldn't be an issue. I'd talk to the staff at Arizona Cyclist on Broadway, they'd be able to help steer you in the right direction.

I love Tucson!
    Addy Marx, thanks for your suggestion.

Weve decided on the Tampa area this year, but well probably check out AZ next year.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your first-hand knowledge, it will come in useful.
    2017 Trek Fuel ex 8 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtodd View Post
    Evdog, thanks for all your really great info.
    Weve decided on Alafia and BB this year.

Thanks again for your post.
    Glad to help. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtodd View Post
    Addy Marx, thanks for your suggestion.

Weve decided on the Tampa area this year, but well probably check out AZ next year.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your first-hand knowledge, it will come in useful.
    Not a problem at all. Have a great time on your trip!
    @adamalphabet

mtbr member
    if you plan on Tucson in feb next year you could always stop and go watch the 24 hours in the Old Pueblo. its a 24 hour XC race outside Tucson. Fun event to ride and watch.
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    if you plan on Tucson in feb next year you could always stop and go watch the 24 hours in the Old Pueblo. its a 24 hour XC race outside Tucson. Fun event to ride and watch.
    Thanks for the tip, Ill keep that in mind.
    2017 Trek Fuel ex 8 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Or SSAZ.. Single Speed Arizona is a helluva a fun time too!
    @adamalphabet