Upgrades or new bike for Whistler trip?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Upgrades or new bike for Whistler trip?

Hey Everyone,

Saving up some money for a 2 week Whistler trip next summer and have a question about how to invest my money for the trip - I have a budget of 2k for bike parts:

Option 1: Buy a 170mm (new lyrik or fox 36) fork, coil rear shock and dual casing DHFs for my 2015 giant reign advanced.

Option 2: Buy a used DH bike that I will ride only 9-12 days a year after this trip.

Option 3: Spend like $750+ to rent a DH bike to use on the trip.

What would you do?

ups and downs
    If you're only going to ride the park, the $750 rental might be the best deal as you beat up someone's else's bike and have $1250 from your parts budget to spend on the trip.

If you want to ride the natural trails around Whistler, a well tuned Reign would be useful to have along.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Dirt Huffer
    If you can float the money buy a used DH bike then sell it when you get back from the trip.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    If you're only going to ride the park, the $750 rental might be the best deal as you beat up someone's else's bike and have $1250 from your parts budget to spend on the trip.

If you want to ride the natural trails around Whistler, a well tuned Reign would be useful to have along.
    I'm with rockyuphill, beat up a rental bike in the park. Bring your own bike to hit the other trails around Whistler, Squamish and Pemberton.

mtbr member
    Agree with rent and bring your own. If you only rent half the time, probably only cost $450. And you'll still be able to have fun on your bike, push it's limits. It's not like the reign is a wimpy XC bike. I would consider a second set of tires if the recommended Whistler tires are vastly different than your normal tires. maybe a super strong basher wheelset if you're the wrecking type.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Rent and get the insurance, you will break something, especially with that long of a trip.

Also you may be inclined to not rent everyday, try your Giant without any upgrades. I ride my 140mm trail bike at DH resorts in CO and NM. Still fun, even though you have to dial it back a bit in the gnarliest sections.

mtbr member
    I'm no jumper or hucker, and I don't know to what extent you are, but I'd be very tempted to say, do the upgrades to the Reign, take it with you and give it a go on a couple of the trails, if you feel it really is limiting your enjoyment, then maybe consider renting a true DH bike for the trails it's needed on. As DocD said, while not a DH rig, the Reign is a very capable bike and I know a good few guys who are very happy using it for the occasional shuttle days in bike parks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.