Two week summer trip ideas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Two week summer trip ideas

Alright. So, I'm a fairly resourceful guy. I imagine there are many posts like this one already in place, but this one is mine and I wouldn't mind a little help.
    This is the deal: My family lives back in the Great State O' Maine, and my wife and I live in Oregon. We've been spending our hard earned vacation time on either hosting or visiting my parents for the past four years. I love my folks like every good son should, but the wife and I need a [email protected]#ing vacation of our own. We're planning a two week tour with mountain biking in mind. The window is from May-September. I'm leaning towards a BC tour, but am open to other possibilities.

Ability levels:
    Me--Aging (38), aggressive rider who prefer technical, all mountain terrain.
    Wife-- Younger (28), much newer to the sport. Enjoys technical terrain…to a point….but gets easily frustrated if she has to walk the bike too much.

Any beta or constructive/insightful alternatives would be much appreciated!

mtbr member
    First off, congratulations on marrying someone ten years younger than you.

Secondly, I think BC would be my #1 destination, with a tour of the Colorado high country a close second. You really can't go wrong with either choice.

mtbr member
    Think about coming to Whistler there's something for everyone, and more good riding in Pemberton 30 minutes north (although mid summer in Pemberton is really hot and dusty) and squamish 45 minutes south. And your wife could try out the bike park and pick up a lot of technical skills really quick, especially in the ladies night program

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Done deal. BC it is. We'll likely start our trip in the greater Whistler area and head east.
    When is the best time of the year to be at Whistler?

mtbr member

Two week summer trip ideas

What are your priorities? Consensus is first half of September is best, less people around (deals on hotels, some busy periods mid summer you could struggle to find a room period if you haven't booked way ahead), typically still nice and sunny, everything is open (top of the world closes third week of September or something). Mid summer is cool too lots of awesome events going on, bike park is open later (8pm until labour day, 5pm afterwards), if you are only riding bike park a little bit then crowds aren't an issue, the only trails outside the park that get busy is the lost lake area. Can't really go wrong mid June until mid September imo although July and August were really dry and hot last year.
    I live here and have fun on my bike anytime April-november, and this year with less snow I've been riding a lot through the winter haha

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Our priorities are to finally take that honeymoon that we never took four years ago. With that said we do not plan on spending much time at Whistler's bike park. We'll probably spend two days there, tops: one day together, and one day with my wife enrolled in one of those awesome sounding ladies clinics. Other than that we would like to explore the surrounding area. The Sea-to-Sky corridor sounds absolutely beautiful. We want to tick off area classics and do a bit of hiking around. We would prefer to not stay at Whistler. Spending money in a quiet "Mom and Pop" environment is more of our M.O. Although CrankWorks is cool to watch on Youtube, we have no desire to be any place at a time that draws a crowd……which I realize makes Whistler an interested choice. I have some friends that live in Nelson. How does some of the interior riding stack up to the Whistler area?

mtbr member
    All of its awesome, haven't ridden in Nelson specifically but everyone I know who has raves about it, probably 5 days in sea to Sky area (squamish-whistler-pemberton) and 5 around Nelson sounds like an awesome trip. I don't do much hiking but last summer I did a big one in Garibaldi Park that was amazing. Pemberton would be the most small town mom n pop kind of place to stay around here, squamish kind of as well and more variety+quantity of trails in squamish. You can make Whistler feel more 'mom n pop' if you stay outside of the village, I live in a quiet neighbourhood in the woods just 10 minutes up the highway, there's b n b's around too. I'm not much help I just made a case for all three towns haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    You lucky son-of-a-gun. My friends over in Nelson are a set of twins I know from back in Vermont. They were born in Montreal, and are blessed with duel citizenship. For obvious reasons they've made BC their home. I'm a loathsome Yankee, and for better or worse my roots have been driven into the volcanic sand of central Oregon. Bend is the town and the mountain biking is ho-hummish…..for the west. The Chamber of Commerce likes to push the town as a bike mecca. This "claim" is guilty of delusions of grandeur.

Anyhow, we're coming up to your neck of the woods in late August/early September. We're thinking the crowds will have diminished, the weather will still be good, our bank account will be agreeable, and our fitness will be at it's seasonal apex. We'll pretend to be Canadian for a couple of weeks, then we'll pick up our guns at the boarder and shove our heads back up our asses

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I spent ten days riding the Sea to Sky corridor two years (Bellingham, North Shore, Squamish, Pemberton, and South Chilcotins). Last September we spent ten days in the Kootneys (Rossland, Nelson, New Denver and Revelstoke). It's all awesome. You can't go wrong in either place. I know it's fresh on my mind, but Revelstoke was amazing. If you decided to hit up Nelson you've gotta spend at least 3 days in Revelstoke. Nelson was awesome too. We did the "after work" Powerslave 4K ft descent in Nelson. It blew our minds. You could easily spend 10 days in everyone of those towns and have a blast. I'd recommend picking one side and sticking with it to maximize riding & minimizing your driving time.