Toronto vacation....any good MTB near there?- Mtbr.com
    Snow Dog

Toronto vacation....any good MTB near there?

Hey all. I asked a question like this last year for my Lake Placid trip and got some decent responses, so here goes again:

Headed to Toronto in June for a weekend (from C-bus Ohio). Where are some good places to ride?. It will need to be beginner level since my fiance will be with me and she is not into falling down cliffs or techy stuff.

Anything in the woods is acceptable since I am never picky about where I ride...I just like the feel of the tires on dirt, and the fresh air. I have researched the Hardwoods (?) trail area up near Barrie and Lake Simcoe. It seems really cool, but is it too "organized"? And will it be super busy?

We will have a car, so I don't mind an hour or so travel...

thanks!
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    You could try Buckwallow, in the Muskoka region 1 1/2 hours north. And 1/2 hour past hardwood. Bit of a race crowd there. Buckwallow is a laid back trails maintained nicely but a little Rocky and has a mix of beginner and advanced all marked. Owner would help you pick no large hills and lots to check out post ride in a holiday area. The Hydro cut in Waterloo region 1hour west of T O is a huge free area with marked trails . Been down that way and tried a couple times. Easy to medium from what I did with son last year. There are many trails much closer but I don't venture down to city to ride. That said I plan on a couple trips down to Durham area east .

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You should check out the Durham Forest trail network near Claremount - located about 45 min north east of Toronto. Lots of buff single track in the forest - there are three large tracts to chose from. Its the best riding area in close proximity to the City.

mtbr member
    I would also recommend Durham Forest and the adjacent Walker Woods/Glen Major and Dagmar. Lots of info here:
    DMBA

Finally!
    Go to the Hydrocut in Waterloo. You will not be disappointed. Great trails, all are marked and rated. There is Parking and although it can be busy, once on the trail you seldom run into more than a couple people. This is one of the best trail systems in Ontario so I highly recommend. Feel free to PM me for details. It has it's own website for more info
    The Hydrocut

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    Go to the Hydrocut in Waterloo. You will not be disappointed. Great trails, all are marked and rated. There is Parking and although it can be busy, once on the trail you seldom run into more than a couple people. This is one of the best trail systems in Ontario so I highly recommend. Feel free to PM me for details. It has it's own website for more info
    The Hydrocut
    I will definitely check this out. We are starting to finalize our plans this week. We leave in 2 weeks.

LET IT SNOW!

Finally!
    https://youtu.be/qZMJebVnmRc

This is from last May. I am riding with a friend and our kids but you can see some of the trails to give you an idea of what it is like at this time of year. All I can add is be sure to bring bug spray or do not stop riding

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Snow Dog
    definitely will have bug spray. I am hoping that we are just ahead of the real bad black fly season...we used to have a cabin up in Biscotasing, north of Sudbury, and I remember you couldn't go up there till late July without being a feast for those things

LET IT SNOW!

Finally!
    No black flies here or not enough to be bothersome but the mosquitoes will carry you away and bleed you dry. I just use it as motivation to not stop.

Finally!
    Well? Did you go?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm not the OP, but I was able to sneak away from my own Toronto trip to explore the Agreement Forest/Hilton Reservoir trail system, and I was blown away. They've got a good club dedicated to maintaining and building expert technical rocky trails and features. It reminded me of everything I love about New England riding, but amplified.

The Bent Rim trail on the Hilton property has to be the most relentlessly technical rocky trail I've ever ridden (and I've been around a few places). Every yard is an out-of-saddle muscly maneuver, for a whole 3 miles! Take all the "challenge" rock features of your regular technical rocky trail, subtract out the smooth sections in between, and smush them all together. Absolutely fantastic!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranaut View Post
    Well? Did you go?
    Yeah. We ended up hitting the Albion Hills trails. My fiance had a HUGE head over bars bail on a really rooty downhill curve that sort of cut the ride short. It was terrifying to see from behind since I couldn't stop her. She flew 15' from the bike through the trees. ended up with only some great bruising and a pretty gnarly scrape down her leg. Her decent through the trees prevented her from continuing down a 15' drop into a creek.

By that evening, we were joking about it, but holy freakin crap....she gets the "Epic Bail" award for the year...will try to ge the pix of her artwork off her phone and up here

LET IT SNOW!