Summer Breckenridge trip for family with young kids- Mtbr.com
    JTW
    mtbr member

Summer Breckenridge trip for family with young kids

Hi Everyone,
    My wife and I are just beginning to plan a biking-oriented family trip to Colorado this summer, and so far we're leaning towards Breckenridge. My goal is to find a destination with relatively easy access to beginner/intermediate XC trails for the whole family, but also something slightly more challenging for me and possibly my young son.
    Our family consists of my wife & I in our mid-40's with kids ages 6 & 8. I've been an avid rider for about 20 years, but nearly all of that time has been spent in the Midwest, Texas gulf coast, and Texas hill country, so Colorado riding is a big unknown for me. My kids both race BMX fairly competitively, so they have great bike skills for their age, but climbs will ruin their day. Gear-wise, we are planning to drive so we will bring our own bikes, full-sus for mom & dad (SC 5010 & SC Blur), hardtails for the kids.
    So with all that said, can anyone offer advice on where to stay, ride, sight-see, etc.? Our goal is a fun and scenic all-around family trip with a variety trails catering to different skill levels.
    Thanks in advance for any input you have to offer.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You might also want to check out Park City. Lots of intermediate friendly cross country trails, 3000 feet lower in altitude, and only 30 minutes from the airport. Climbing at over 9600 feet could be brutal.

JTW
    mtbr member
    I've visited Park City, UT a couple times while on business and loved it there. The problem is we're planning to drive, and it's almost 50% further than CO for us.

MTBR Member
    Might want to try the Colorado forums for some more input. Maybe check into the Western Slope locations too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Keystone, right near Breck has lift served MTB trails. Don't be to proud to try that out especially with the kido's. They will probably have a blast with minimal suffering
    Randy Charrette
    Instagram
    Facebook
    Flickr

JTW
    mtbr member
    That sounds perfect, thanks rcharrette.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    How about Fruita? Good variety of trails including the 18 RD super fun loops. I often see families there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Fantastic riding in Breck! It's in my top 3 places to ride but all the trails I've ridden there have very long sustained climbs. I'm in DFW and have taken the family to Angel Fire, NM several times. We do downhill (lift-served) biking*, some XC riding, 1 day doing the zip lines and finally rafting down the Rio Grande river in Taos about 45 minutes away. Super fun trip!

*Not all the AF downhill trails are black diamond - my son and nephew did greens/beginner runs on day one of our first trip there.