SEA-DEN. Two drive days, two ride days. Where would you go?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

SEA-DEN. Two drive days, two ride days. Where would you go?

So. It's vacation time.

Driving from Denver to Seattle in mid-May through Moab. Driving back from Seattle to Denver the first week of June.

I have four (possibly five) days to make the trip-- that works out to two days of driving and two (or maybe three) days of riding.

The Big Question: What ride(s) would you hit? Looking for fairly "epic" technical XC-ish rides for the wife and me. The big limiter is that we have only one vehicle, which means either shuttle, lollipop or out-and-back.

We thought of driving to McKenzie River, but that's maybe a little bit out of the way.

Any suggestions? I'm at a loss and don't really know where to start.

TIA--

R.

mtbr member
    Lots of places to ride in Colorado like Grand Junction/Fruita, Crested Butte, Salida, Cortez, Durango, etc...
    Salt Lake City
    Vernal, UT
    St George, UT
    Pocatello
    Boise foothills
    Stop in Hermiston, OR to spin out the Echo XC loops
    Stop in Yakima and ride our trails

Lots of places to ride between Seattle and Denver!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well, I *live* in Colorado, so looking for something a little farther afield than home. I can always do Fruita, Durango, etc. And usually do.

Keep the ideas coming though!

Thanks!

R.

Don't worry, be happy!
    How far do you plan on driving each day? Have you considered your route? If you head north you could hit up Helena, Montana which I hear has fabulous riding

For Bend, Mackenzie River... you'll be on two lane highways a lot and be putting in some long days to get there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That's my conundrum. The drive is basically twenty-two hours. Ideally, I'd like to do it in two twelve hour segments, with two days of riding in the middle.

We had planned on McKenzie, but after reading a lot on MTBR, I'm not sure I want to waste that much time on a single run (it requires an additional day of travel which I may or may not have. I won't know for sure until 18 May. My timeline is pretty constrained, so I'm trying to figure the best "bang for the buck".

Tough choices, but I need to pick a route soon.

I don't know much about Helena-- I'll look into it, as it's in the ballpark travel time-wise from Seattle.

R.

mtbr member
    Sun Valley is supposed to have 100 + miles of xc goodies. Might be a place to spend a few days.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Sun valley is a long way. I don't know about time from Denver, but Portland is about 9 (or was it 11?)hours to Sun valley.

mtbr member
    erm... Formica, Your making me LOL here. Sun Valley is less than two hours north of I-84 at Twin Falls. The shortest route between Denver and Seattle is across Southern Idaho on 84... Which would put Sun Valley almost directly in the route, especially if your side-tracking for two days of camping and riding. Could be snowy still up there in late May early June though!

Don't worry, be happy!

SEA-DEN. Two drive days, two ride days. Where would you go?

I met a friend from Hood River at Eeasley hot springs camp for a long weekend, and it was a long, long drive for her. It was a long long drive for us, too, we came in from the Montana side of things. I'll be the first to admit I might have my geography mixed up a bit. No matter how you do it, though, Seattle to Denver is two longs ass days of driving.

mtbr member
    Well Sun Valley is tucked up there with no easy access except from the South, via I-84. It really is hard to get to from most places in the West.

The southern route, via I-80 across WY and I-84 for Utah, Idaho, Oregon, and I-82 in WA isn't much different time/distance from the northern route which is I-25 in CO and WY and I-90 the remainder of the drive. It would be fun(?) to do the trip as a loop.

Fwiw, Helena is a much shorter detour from the defined route than a Sun Valley detour would be. I have heard that Helena is filled with great trails, similarly to how Sun Valley has been described to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I gave her the options, and the Minister of War and Finance wants to do McKenzie.

So, I'll be planning accordingly!

Thanks, all.

R.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I have heard they offer a shuttle service now. I have no details, but that would be a nice time saver. There is nice camping up near the top end.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
    I gave her the options, and the Minister of War and Finance wants to do McKenzie.

So, I'll be planning accordingly!

Thanks, all.

R.
    Wise decision. Can't wait to ride that trail again.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    I have always done this trip through Steamboat Spgs, Park City, Baker City, Hood River, Bend. There is lots to do in all these locations. They run the lifts for bikes in Park City (or used to). You can almost smell the great beer as you get close to the Oregon border.
    Moab just always seems to far south, and crowded.
    I have driven to Westminister direct from Seattle in 24hrs. You have to break it up if it's a vacation.