Santa Cruz, CA vacation - bike rentals and easy trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Santa Cruz, CA vacation - bike rentals and easy trails?

My wife and I will be vacationing around Santa Cruz area in late August, coming from the flatlands of the Midwest. She's a novice/beginner trail rider and I'm an intermediate midwest rider. We already have demo bikes reserved from the Santa Cruz factory for a Monday, but would like to trail ride on that Wednesday as well. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any factory bikes available that Tuesday or Wednesday.

So we're thinking of renting/demoing bikes from a local Santa Cruz bike shop for that Wednesday. We'll be in a rental vehicle so need to rent bikes from a place where we can ride directly to some trails. I'm looking at Epicenter Cycling and Another Bike Shop as possibilities. Anyone have experiences there or can suggest other shops to contact?

Been researching Wilder Ranch State Park and the Emma McCrary trail as possible ride destinations. They both seem easy enough that my wife won't feel intimidated. Nice, scenic trail ride will suffice as I'm not looking to bomb down anything with my wife along!

Any ideas for easy trails and bike rentals for the Santa Cruz area?

mtbr member
    Wow, no replies?!
    So how'd the trip turn out?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Had a great time in Santa Cruz. Ended up doing factory demos from both SC and ibis, riding at Wilder Ranch both days. Pretty sweet that you can ride straight there from both factories. I rode a 5010 and a Ripley LS, while my wife rode a Hightower and Mojo 3.

All the bikes were really good. I swapped bikes with her the first day... 5010 to Hightower for a few minutes, but for some reason the Hightower just felt kind of meh. My biggest regret is not trading her the Ripley for the Mojo3 for a little while the 2nd day. I really, really liked the Ripley. It climbs great... I was trying to get it to break loose doing different things and it just kept climbing like a goat. I should've hopped on the Mojo3 to get a feel for that bike, since I've heard such great things about it.

Probably couldn't go wrong with any of the 4 bikes we demoed, but ibis' DW-link platform just pedaled so damn nicely that it's been hard to think about anything else since then.

Overall, really enjoyed the Santa Cruz area. Hoping to go back there some day, and maybe take on a few more advanced trails next time.

mtbr member
    Next time post up in the NorCal (or is SC considered SoCal) and you'll get more responses. For whatever reason, this forum doesn't get much usage.
    Carpe Diem!!