Roadtrip: Seattle to Park City - where to ride/stop in between?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Roadtrip: Seattle to Park City - where to ride/stop in between?

I'm thinking about a road trip from Vancouver BC to Moab, and back. I've got a few places I want to stop on the way (Galbraith, Duthie, Tiger), but it's a bit of a long drive between the Seattle area and the next stop on my list, Park City.

I've checked out the Trailforks road trip feature, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend anything off the 84 (if that's the best way to go)?

Should I look at riding around Portland? I've also heard that Downieville, CA has good riding, but that is quite a detour.

Cheers

I didn't do it
    Check out the riding around LaGrande Oregon in the Umatilla National Forest. I've never ridden there myself but back when I used to make Seattle to Salt Lake City trips I always wanted to do it. Its my understanding that there's some fairly decent riding in the area. I'm assuming TrailForks will show the trails. You might want to check the WA subforum because I think there's a group of Seattle area riders who make a yearly trip to LaGrande/Umatilla and I think they post ride reports. Its on 84, which is the route you should be taking.
    And your Seattle area itinerary is right on target.
    The riding in the Portland area is extremely limited.
    Better hurry though, Park City already has some snow in the upper elevations!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thanks, I'll check them out.

And this is not until May next year (although I imagine some snow will still be around then). I recently realised that I can probably take the month off, so got a bit over-excited because I didn't think I would have the chance to ever ride Moab, hence the super pre-planning.

I didn't do it
    I was wondering if this was going to be next year. Moab should be great in May. LaGrande might still have snow though - not sure about that. You'll probably want to hit up Grand Junction and Fruita. You might want to take a look at Vernal, UT if you're up for an extra stop. I'm not sure but I think May is OK for Vernal. They've been developing a cool little trail network out there and it might be worth a look.

Just throwing it out there but something like heading over to Sedona and then swing up through Tahoe on your way back to BC could make for a nice couple legs.

Whatever you do you're going to have a great trip. A month off is pure gold!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    From what I've read, I should be able to ride Porcupine Rim in mid-May, but some of the other parts of The Whole Enchilada might not be fully ready to go.

I've heard of Fruita, and checked some videos, it looks awesome - on the list it goes.

I thought about heading down to Arizona, but I'm worried it's getting just a bit far south. My plan at the moment is to go Park City - Moab - Crested Bute, then up to Jackson and home through Silver Mountain for some lifts as it should be open by then.

I also want to make sure I have some time to ride Whistler for a few days, as I'll be leaving BC for good at the end of this trip - it's my final hurrah!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Mt St. Helens for sure. Was there last week.

Roadtrip: Seattle to Park City - where to ride/stop in between?-019618020b13788fe6aa2ffc82b1fa77e18df40b73s.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    That looks pretty amazing!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    I'm thinking about a road trip from Vancouver BC to Moab, and back. I've got a few places I want to stop on the way (Galbraith, Duthie, Tiger), but it's a bit of a long drive between the Seattle area and the next stop on my list, Park City.

I've checked out the Trailforks road trip feature, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend anything off the 84 (if that's the best way to go)?

Should I look at riding around Portland? I've also heard that Downieville, CA has good riding, but that is quite a detour.

Cheers
    Easy. After Seattle zone, stay on I5 south.

If you want to sample beer & food in Portland, ride the Silverstar network (50min north outside of Vancouver; ride Tarbell Mt.), or ride Hood River (Post Canyon, Lewis River or Falls Creek). There is zero MtB in Portland though, just good food, beer & music.

After that, either go South to McKenzie drainage (McKenzie River, O'Leary), OR Oakridge (so many trails, many world class amazing), then over to Bend (lots of XC, some fun rough up high) and take Rt 20 to get back to I-84. Bend is a fun town too.

If you get all that, you can blow off Park City and head straight to Moab, because it ALL is underwhelming after that. Don't get me wrong, PC is excellent and has a massive network, but it's just not up to the WA/OR trails level for fun, expert riding. Moab will get you the dry, hot, rough & rocky fix after all the loam & ferns...

And if it's a dry spring, Sun Valley/Ketchum/Galena is probably a nice option, but a bit out of the way to drive... Sun Valley to Moab is an 8 hr. pull, door to door. Buy beer in Idaho .

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I've been to Portland many times as I have friends there - in fact, I'm going back this weekend, so I don't reeeeaaally need to go back. I do love that city though.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll check them out on TrailForks. The priority is for rocky, desert riding as I've been riding the PNW for the last 5 years. Keen to see some of that orange magic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    In addition, I could probably hit Sun Valley on the way back up as I was planning on going up through Jackson, depending on the weather. This will be late May.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarescu View Post
    In addition, I could probably hit Sun Valley on the way back up as I was planning on going up through Jackson, depending on the weather. This will be late May.
    Our best trails will barely be opening in Sun Valley by late May, Jackson will be a bit snowier/more closed up high (they had a better winter :/). It's melting fast so far here.

Reckon you should be good for Baldy (flow trails), Greenhorn, Galena (XC flow) and 50/50 on the real goods (Osbergs, Edge of the world, behind Greenhorn, etc.). Late May/June should be rather good, given our somewhat lame winter snowpack. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by redbarn View Post
    Our best trails will barely be opening in Sun Valley by late May, Jackson will be a bit snowier/more closed up high (they had a better winter :/). It's melting fast so far here.

Reckon you should be good for Baldy (flow trails), Greenhorn, Galena (XC flow) and 50/50 on the real goods (Osbergs, Edge of the world, behind Greenhorn, etc.). Late May/June should be rather good, given our somewhat lame winter snowpack. Enjoy.
    Thanks!

This is coming up fast. I should probably make a thread, but any tips on where to ride in Utah/Colorado? I know I want to go to Moab, Fruita and Crested Butte, but otherwise I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Damn, that's a lot of driving. You could ride for a month between Crested Butte & Moab, nevermind the Intermountain west!

I reckon that, on or close to the primary driving arterials between those spots, and after Fruita/Moab: I'd hit Park City (W. Crest, in town), Driggs/Targhee/Jackson (Teton pass zone, check snow), then Sun Valley zone via Rt 20.

For driving time ref: Moab to PC ~ 4+ hrs, PC to Driggs ~5+, Driggs to SV - 4 hrs. All mind-numbingly boring drives. And yes, Driggs is way more real than Jackson.

Check Crested Butte conditions carefully. It's much higher and you could likely be closed out of the greatest rides (401, Dr. park) in May. Teton pass same, though that is a very worthy trail destination.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Awesome! Thanks for the great advice. And yeah, it is a lot of driving. Funnily enough I just drove Denver-Rock Springs-SLC-Boise-etc-Vancouver last month. Now going all the way back.

That said, I'm kinda OK with the driving now I guess I'll check the conditions when I get to Park City - can make plans from there.

mtbr member
    WIDAHO rocks! Driggs is in IDAHO. Pretty cool as well!

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    If you're still heading out from Seattle, be sure to hit Bale Breaker brewery in Moxie. Pick up asparagus tamales at Los Hernandez in Union Gap.

And definitely stop in at Woodland Empire in Boise. Love that place!