Road Trip! Help me decide- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Road Trip! Help me decide

Hi Y'all. I am planning a road trip from North Georgia to somewhere. My dates are a bit flexible but thinking early September.
    Going to take 2 weeks. Camping.

My initial plan was to go to Bentonville, AR but I am thinking the riding is too similar to North GA. Am I wrong?

Then I was thinking about heading up through WV - VA - PA and maybe upstate NY

And considering Copper Harbor MI

Ideally I'd like to hit up CO and UT but the elevation has me concerned. Years ago I had a bad case of elevation sickness at 6,700 ft. This was over 20 years ago...

What do you all think? Do you have any suggestions? Remember I am open to going other places.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Are we talking vomitting level alititude sickness? Friend got that and has been with us to UT no prob, but we were messing around at 13,000 ft when he got sick. I'm not sure what is known of altitude sickness, if your risk of getting it is higher if you've had it before.
    As for your trip, sorry I can't help you much with that, I've only done MTB trips to Whistler/Squamish.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I would think lots of good trail options all thru WV, into PA, then into NY.

Upstate NY can mean central NY, or all the way up to the Adirondacks. If you make it that far, check out the TrailForks directory for where the single track or DH areas are located. Iím thinking not as many developed ST areaís in the ADKís yet. Vermont likely has more.

BUT, a lot of eastern riding is similar, very wooded, rocky steep and wet.

You would need to be almost into Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona to get into the areaís that are a LOT different than the east.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Are we talking vomitting level alititude sickness? Friend got that and has been with us to UT no prob, but we were messing around at 13,000 ft when he got sick. I'm not sure what is known of altitude sickness, if your risk of getting it is higher if you've had it before.
    As for your trip, sorry I can't help you much with that, I've only done MTB trips to Whistler/Squamish.
    Root, yeah so close to vomit. Actually felt so bad I left and went home. Kind of like having the flu.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Huh. Guess some people are more susceptible to altitude sickness. 6700/feet seems low for that. If you took it easy for the first day or two you should acclimate. You could get a hyperbaric tent and train up! 😹

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyAsheville View Post
    Huh. Guess some people are more susceptible to altitude sickness. 6700/feet seems low for that. If you took it easy for the first day or two you should acclimate. You could get a hyperbaric tent and train up! 😹
    Yeah, wow, I've never been that susceptible to the altitude.

I spent most of my life around 1,000ft and then went and lived at about 6,000ft, with daily excursions from 8800-10k for 3 months. I felt slow and tired as I got used to the altitude, but never feeling actual ill. Even went up to 14k when I was recovering from leukemia. I was most certainly NOT in peak condition, and did fine.

My vote for your road trip is to keep it to the eastern half of the country. I've done long road trips for riding before, and if you go too far, your trip is at least as much about the road trip itself as it is about the riding. I did an Indiana to Arizona trip a few years ago for the Sedona MTB Fest. I had a limited amount of time (I think about 10 days, IIRC, and if the trip was to be exclusively about riding, it would have been disappointing. I would have had to spend too much time doing marathon driving that the travel part would have been a horrible experience in order to add maybe a day or two of riding. Meh. I ended up planning the road trip a little bit more such that I found interesting things to stop and see/do most days during transit to break up the driving. Did a "Route 66" trip along the way and saw/did a lot of fun little things that made the drive part more enjoyable. Was less tired/frustrated when I arrived in Sedona, and I had a fun time riding (though I could have chosen a better variety of trails to ride, I think).

I know a guy who lives in Arkansas and what I see up there, I think you'd find some great stuff to ride, and while some of it might be very similar to your local goods, I'm pretty sure you'll find enough variety to keep you happy.

Quite a few other areas, too. Lots going on in the Roanoke/Harrisonburg areas in VA. You could roll up the length of the Appalachians, stopping in a couple different areas to ride, and VA could be just one stop. Would break up the driving into more manageable bits. There are some bike parks scattered along the way so you could mix up bike parks with backcountry and some rowdy stuff with more xc stuff.

If I'm wanting to maximize ride time in a farther-flung destination, I've had better results flying out (once even flying with the bikes) to maximize the number of days where I can hit the trails and work in a rest day or two.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Harold, thanks for taking the time out to give me all that good information. I don't think there's a bad choice to make. Although I really prefer back country riding that I've experienced in Pisgah and North Georgia. City trails are OK and I'm not one for the bike park. I only do small jumps/drops under 3' and really don't see any real good reason to take the risk on a bike park and I'd rather be in the woods.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia_Rider View Post
    Harold, thanks for taking the time out to give me all that good information. I don't think there's a bad choice to make. Although I really prefer back country riding that I've experienced in Pisgah and North Georgia. City trails are OK and I'm not one for the bike park. I only do small jumps/drops under 3' and really don't see any real good reason to take the risk on a bike park and I'd rather be in the woods.
    Fair enough.

Maybe consider some places like Big South Fork (KY/TN border) and some of the eastern KY trails like the Sheltowee Trace, too.