Riding the Dolomites- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Riding the Dolomites

Riding in the Dolomites this summer, has anyone experienced the riding there ? Looking for Advice on where to ride around Cortina and Val Gardena

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    Riding in the Dolomites this summer, has anyone experienced the riding there ? Looking for Advice on where to ride around Cortina and Val Gardena
    Hey mate whilst I've not ridden the areas you are looking at I have ridden the Lago Di Molevno area and loved it. I buggered off from a family holiday and did 2 days there, 1 in the Fai Di Paganella bike park and the other riding around Molveno. I found pretty much everything I needed to know to ride the area here home so I suggest having a search to see if you can find something similar for the area you want to ride.

One thing to remember if you hire a bike though, depending on where you are from you may need to reverse the brakes. I had to. Don't want to grab a hand full or rear brake only to find it's the front!!!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response mate. Iíve always wished that Iíd started out with my brake levers ďMoto styleĒ but Iíve got way too many years in to change now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EsPeGe View Post
    Hey mate whilst I've not ridden the areas you are looking at I have ridden the Lago Di Molevno area and loved it. I buggered off from a family holiday and did 2 days there, 1 in the Fai Di Paganella bike park and the other riding around Molveno. I found pretty much everything I needed to know to ride the area here home so I suggest having a search to see if you can find something similar for the area you want to ride.

One thing to remember if you hire a bike though, depending on where you are from you may need to reverse the brakes. I had to. Don't want to grab a hand full or rear brake only to find it's the front!!!!!
    I ride in Australia where it's moto style--what is the EU? Glad you mentioned this as I am heading over to roughly this same area in September.

Problem is finding a bike big enough for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    In Italy and most of Europe they are the opposite to us in Aus. We are Moto style and they are "traditional" if you wanna call it that. The UK seems to be a mix. Check the link above and see if they've got a bike to suit. I'm sure someone will.

Good luck mate, Cheers Scott.

mtbr member
    Never ridden there but rode with a guy named Dolemite. Angry dude. Swear he might have been a pimp.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    We were able to rent bikes at MTB Academy ( Giant ) and Dolomitii Adventure ( Specialized & Scott )
    We rode the clockwise tour of the Sella Ronda ( about 55 km ) most of the climbing was done utilizing ski lifts, We bought a 3 day summer super pass for 100 euros the tour took 2 tram, 2 gondolas & 1 chairlift ride to complete. Lots of opportunity for food and drinks at many Refugioís along the way. Trail is pretty well signed except for one place where it goes into a bike park. The views go on for ever in all directions and taking pictures will definitely slow you down so give it a full day. The Sella Ronda tour done counter clockwise gives it a different perspective albeit with more climbing. Bike rental was about 45 Euro / day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EsPeGe View Post
    In Italy and most of Europe they are the opposite to us in Aus. We are Moto style and they are "traditional" if you wanna call it that. The UK seems to be a mix. Check the link above and see if they've got a bike to suit. I'm sure someone will.

Good luck mate, Cheers Scott.
    When my wife and I rented in Switzerland, the left lever was front and right was rear.

Nice pics/report, railntrail!

mtbr member
    The bikes in We rented in Italy were not set up with moto style brake levers. The guys at both shops were quite helpful and Iím sure they would have swapped levers to accommodate different preferences. We rented bikes before in NZ and Tasmania where moto style is the norm and getting the levers reversed was no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk