Riding the Dolomites- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: railntrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    393

    Riding the Dolomites

    Riding in the Dolomites this summer, has anyone experienced the riding there ? Looking for Advice on where to ride around Cortina and Val Gardena

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    Riding in the Dolomites this summer, has anyone experienced the riding there ? Looking for Advice on where to ride around Cortina and Val Gardena
    Hey mate whilst I've not ridden the areas you are looking at I have ridden the Lago Di Molevno area and loved it. I buggered off from a family holiday and did 2 days there, 1 in the Fai Di Paganella bike park and the other riding around Molveno. I found pretty much everything I needed to know to ride the area here home so I suggest having a search to see if you can find something similar for the area you want to ride.

    One thing to remember if you hire a bike though, depending on where you are from you may need to reverse the brakes. I had to. Don't want to grab a hand full or rear brake only to find it's the front!!!!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: railntrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    393
    Thanks for the response mate. Iíve always wished that Iíd started out with my brake levers ďMoto styleĒ but Iíve got way too many years in to change now.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by EsPeGe View Post
    Hey mate whilst I've not ridden the areas you are looking at I have ridden the Lago Di Molevno area and loved it. I buggered off from a family holiday and did 2 days there, 1 in the Fai Di Paganella bike park and the other riding around Molveno. I found pretty much everything I needed to know to ride the area here home so I suggest having a search to see if you can find something similar for the area you want to ride.

    One thing to remember if you hire a bike though, depending on where you are from you may need to reverse the brakes. I had to. Don't want to grab a hand full or rear brake only to find it's the front!!!!!
    I ride in Australia where it's moto style--what is the EU? Glad you mentioned this as I am heading over to roughly this same area in September.

    Problem is finding a bike big enough for me.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    157
    In Italy and most of Europe they are the opposite to us in Aus. We are Moto style and they are "traditional" if you wanna call it that. The UK seems to be a mix. Check the link above and see if they've got a bike to suit. I'm sure someone will.

    Good luck mate, Cheers Scott.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vespasianus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,355
    Never ridden there but rode with a guy named Dolemite. Angry dude. Swear he might have been a pimp.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: railntrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    393
    We were able to rent bikes at MTB Academy ( Giant ) and Dolomitii Adventure ( Specialized & Scott )
    We rode the clockwise tour of the Sella Ronda ( about 55 km ) most of the climbing was done utilizing ski lifts, We bought a 3 day summer super pass for 100 euros the tour took 2 tram, 2 gondolas & 1 chairlift ride to complete. Lots of opportunity for food and drinks at many Refugioís along the way. Trail is pretty well signed except for one place where it goes into a bike park. The views go on for ever in all directions and taking pictures will definitely slow you down so give it a full day. The Sella Ronda tour done counter clockwise gives it a different perspective albeit with more climbing. Bike rental was about 45 Euro / day


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,443
    Quote Originally Posted by EsPeGe View Post
    In Italy and most of Europe they are the opposite to us in Aus. We are Moto style and they are "traditional" if you wanna call it that. The UK seems to be a mix. Check the link above and see if they've got a bike to suit. I'm sure someone will.

    Good luck mate, Cheers Scott.
    When my wife and I rented in Switzerland, the left lever was front and right was rear.

    Nice pics/report, railntrail!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: railntrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    393
    The bikes in We rented in Italy were not set up with moto style brake levers. The guys at both shops were quite helpful and Iím sure they would have swapped levers to accommodate different preferences. We rented bikes before in NZ and Tasmania where moto style is the norm and getting the levers reversed was no problem.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Riding in Italian dolomites
    By dft in forum Europe
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2017, 11:35 AM
  2. Northwave Dolomites Mountain Shoes
    By cavo in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2013, 10:00 PM
  3. dolomites/cortina
    By tylerm70 in forum Vacations & Destinations
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 07:02 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 11:42 AM
  5. Italian passion Part 2 - The Dolomites
    By zinger-uk in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Members who have read this thread: 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.