Rental House- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rental House

mtbr member

Rental House

Im kind of kicking around the idea of purchasing a second house that I would rent out. It would be geared (pun intended) toward mountain bikers. The location would be close to Dupont State Forest in North Carolina. What i'm curious about is. Would this be of interest? Would it be better to be close to the trails or to Brevard the closest town with restaurants, breweries, etc? Would higher end or budget be preferred. What would you look for in a short term (Weekend) or Week long vacation house. Some of my ideas about making it appealing to mountain bikers would start with. Secure Space for bikes and gear, bike stand for repairs, air compressor, information about local trails, possible on site riding features. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

the discerning hooligan
    Look at the kinds of rentals offered at Kingdom Trails VT....you'll get lots of ideas about what works.

mtbr member
    Howdy, I'm not saying my answers are the right answer for everybody but unless you can ride the trails directly from the house, our group would prefer to be near downtown for restaurants and shops. I'm a frequent booker of rental homes on VRBO for mountain bike travel. Wishing the past week, I've booked places for St George, Whistler, Fruita and Prescott.

By far the most important factor for our groups is BEDS as in as many separate beds as possible. I can't speak for everybody else but our mountain bike group is always a bunch of men and nobody wants to sleep in the same bed with another dude. Secondly is BIKE SECURITY so a garage is a huge bonus, absent that an out of sight **secure** covered patio may suffice. If we don't have those two things, the bikes stay inside the house which isn't idea for anybody. A jacuzzi is a great bonus but unless we stay at a resort, it's rarely available in a rental. I think it's too much work for owners to deal with.

Very rarely do we stay at a place that has a bike stand, pump or bike rack but it happens occasionally. I always travel with one in my truck on extended trips so it's not even close to a priority for us.

** If I were you, I'd cross-post this is the General Forum to get more exposure.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. What im unsure of is who should my target market be? The group of guys or family/multiple families looking for vacation house with multiple amenities (Views, lake, golf, etc). How many guys usually go on these trips? What is close enough to ride to trail heads? I figure type of road and traffic play a huge part in this but would a half mile on back mountain road be to much? I figure the bike stand, compressor, etc would be a big deal but a nice touch that would not be expensive to provide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    We have groups of 6-10 from central va that head down there a couple times a year. I agree that beds is a pretty big deal as well as cost. More beds = less cost per head/night. The bike stand sounds like a nice touch.

1/2 mile of back road to the trail sounds close enough for riding to me. I also like the idea of close to bars/restaurants.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    if you target families then go for the town location. also, families are probably going to a much smaller mtb market.

been riding Douthat with a friend once a year, can stay for free 90 minutes away with relatives but we rent cabin instead. love riding straight from cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    A jacuzzi is a great bonus but unless we stay at a resort, it's rarely available in a rental. I think it's too much work for owners to deal with.
    Nothing like some dude soup!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Nothing like some dude soup!
    Hey, I was in the jacuzzi every night in Crested Butte buddy!! Even saw a girl in there one night.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notso View Post
    We have groups of 6-10 from central va that head down there a couple times a year. I agree that beds is a pretty big deal as well as cost. More beds = less cost per head/night. The bike stand sounds like a nice touch.

1/2 mile of back road to the trail sounds close enough for riding to me. I also like the idea of close to bars/restaurants.
    I'd agree, 1/2 mile IS essentially right from the house if you ask me. There is one house we stay at in Fruita that is 50 yards from the trail but other than that, we drive to trailheads for the most part, anywhere from 5-30 miles is no big deal if the trails are top notch.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

banned
    Jul 2011
    maxflia,

Can you provide some updates as to your rental house? I have a vacation rental house in Hurricane UT. The riding there is nothing short of epic. But I'd love to do some east coast riding. So, if you get your house, I'd love to house swap with you for a week or so. It would be beneficial to both of us!

mtbr member
    Still looking and working to see if the numbers would work out. House prices around Brevard NC and surrounding areas are crazy high. I will keep you in mind. I would love to ride out in UT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by maxflia View Post
    Still looking and working to see if the numbers would work out. House prices around Brevard NC and surrounding areas are crazy high. I will keep you in mind. I would love to ride out in UT.
    Housing prices high? Go figure. Probably has something to do with lots of people purchasing them to use more as hotels, or as a way to pay for a second home they can't truly afford, than as primary residences.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    Housing prices high? Go figure. Probably has something to do with lots of people purchasing them to use more as hotels, or as a way to pay for a second home they can't truly afford, than as primary residences.
    Seems like there is always one of these guys in every thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    Seems like there is always one of these guys in every thread.
    And, there's a good chance they live in one of the places where short-term rentals are causing a housing crunch. Unless you have roots (i.e. actually live/work) in one of these places it can hard to understand where the animosity comes from.

mtbr member
    i think the following would be nice to have in a rental home for western NC:

-Storage Shed w/ lock for bikes (10' x 12')
    -Bench inside shed with bike stand; Park Tool clamp
    -Wash station where you could hang up a bike with hose & spray off
    -Fire pit with durable chairs
    -Hot tub with overhead roof structure (it rains a lot)
    -Parking for 2-3 vehicles
    -Bathrooms which are simple with shower (tub not necessary)
    -Good quality maps (framed) on the walls as decor
    -Durable flooring in home (vinyl plank)
    -Gift cards to local bike shops (yes, I'm serious)
    -Gift cards to local brew pubs or restaurants (yes, I'm serious)
    -Washer & dryer

I don't think the home has to be riding distance to the trailhead. Oh course, this is convenient, but not a deal breaker. Rural to me (with mountain views) is peaceful, so I would have a tendency to want this versus a place which is in town.

Most of the great riding in this area is on public lands. These trailheads are often times buried in the public land, so finding a rental home will be difficult which is close and rideable. Of course you can find homes here and there, but, again, it's a barrier to entry and will make the home more expensive.

just my 2 cents. good luck!
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxflia View Post
    I just looked on Realtor....that may be high for back east, but take a look at Utah prices!

mtbr member
    I thought this place was applicable for said thread.

well done! No, I don't own this place....

https://www.vrbo.com/4619867ha
    Maah Daah Hey