One month, two bikes and three states. Where to go?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

One month, two bikes and three states. Where to go?

We have one month from mid July to mid August and plan on starting in Colorado and ending in Arizona. We have been biking the last few weeks in Northern Arizona, Prescott and Sedona mainly and are therefore more interested now in biking Colorado, Utah and California. We live in Spain and have never biked in the USA til now. We are intermediate to advanced riders and are looking for singletrack, technical trails and beautiful scenery. We do not mind the uphill climbs and up to 20 miles a ride is okay. We will have our own car and camping gear so we are looking for places to camp along the way as well or even cheap places to stay with showers. I have been combing this website and the Colorado, Utah and Cali forums and have a good idea of some must do trails. But I am wondering about the best places to ride this time of year, the suggested routes (trying not to lose to much time driving around in circles) and would like some last minute suggestions on what rides you think are a must.
    We appreciate any help. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I can't bring a whole lot to the table but I can get the conversation started. I spent about four months out west after college so that's all I have to go on.

I really enjoyed Durango (Horse Gultch trails). From Sedona I would drive up to Flagstaff and definitely go see the Grand Canyon, you're so close! Then head out to Durango. From there you can drive north through the mountains on Route 550 which I found highly enjoyable.

This brings you to Grand Junction/Fruita, two must ride Colorado places. GJ has the lunch loop which was a bit more technical versus Fruita's 18 Road that I remeber being fast and flowy in the desert.

Head west on I-70 to Green River, UT then book south to Moab, another mecca of riding. I'd throw in a bid for Park City as well, I loved the riding there.

That should be a little bit of a start. I did all this riding July/August. I'd assume most of what I spoke about is good right now. But I might wait for some locals to chime in.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Per your requirements, I'd say crested butte Co checks all your boxes. You could spend a week there and only scratch the surface.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks for the replies. We are a bit worries about he heat so yes Crested Butte would be a cooler option. We also have places to stay in Aspen and Denver. Any suggestions on trails in those areas?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yes, Moab will be very hot and something to be conscious of. I have not ridden in Aspen, so can't help much there. In Denver, Buffalo Creek would be at the top of my list. It's about an hour from metro Denver but you can easily ride there all day. I also liked Centennial Cone but it is more XC oriented. Alderfer Three Sisters, Apex, Heil Ranch among others are all worthy of a visit near Denver.

Dirt Huffer
    When in MOAB set up a shuttle and ride The Whole Enchilada. Best ride there. I think most of the bike shops do shuttles.

www.projectmtb.com is a good resource. I lived everywhere i rode in CO. Breckenridge was really great. Lots of trails in that town. I've never been to Crested Butte though. Grand Junction and Fruita have great technical trails also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I live in Nederland, CO. PM me and I can send you in the right direction here in CO.

TOP TIER LURKER
    If/when you make it to California, do ride the Cannell Trail. You can camp along the river below in the Kernville area. You can jump on a shuttle van to get you to the top and then follow the masses through. It's about 26-27 miles long including the infamous "Plunge" back down into the valley.

Although I have never done it (I'm in So Cal), I have to think that the Flume Trail in the Lake Tahoe area is also a must do.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If you're going through Colorado a really awesome trail to try is the Monarch Crest Trail in Salida, Colorado. It's considered to be one of the best trails in Colorado, if not the country. 10-15 miles of riding the divide above 10,000, and above the tree line. Salida also has various other high alpine rides, the semi-arid Arkansas Hills System, and the town has great atmosphere. In Moab a must do is The Whole Enchilada. It's high point Burro pass at 11,150 feet, and it's low point the Colorado river at 4,000 feet. It's 7,000 feet of vertical descent and 8,000 feet of descent total. It traverses 25 miles through 5 major ecosystems from nearly above the treeline to the red rock desert. The Enchilada is considered among many to be one of the best bike trails in the world. But bring WATER!! Some people have actually died on the Enchilada because of dehydration. I went there a few weeks ago and it was 105 degrees. This means literally getting up at dawn before the heat. Fruita, Crested Butte, Park City, and Sedona are all also great destinations. But The Monarch Crest and The Whole Enchilada are two must do's.