Northwest trip - Ideas and tips needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

We the people ... Northwest trip - Ideas and tips needed

Hi All,

I am planning a trip to the Northwest in early September and I am looking for some help , guidance, and tips to make this all work. The only limitations I have are my start and end dates/locations. I will start from San Francisco the morning of September 18th and I need to be in Vegas by 10PM Monday the 28th. What to do in between? I am a fairly advanced rider with a strong fitness level.

Any ideas on trails to hit, places to stay, bars, pubs and general places to chow? Bike shops, bike rentals or guides?

I have put together a couple of simple agendas. Any help is much appreciated.

All driving agenda

• Friday - Leave SF for Lake Tahoe - 3 hours
      • Sleep in Tahoe

• Saturday - Ride the Tahoe Rim trail
      • Drive to Downieville - 2 hours

• Sunday - Ride trails in Downieville
      • Sleep in Downieville

• Monday - Drive to Graeagle California - 2 hours
      • Ride Mt. Elwell
      • Stay local

• Tuesday - Drive to Bend Oregon
      • Chill

• Wednesday - Drive to McKenzie river trail
      • Stay in Bend

• Thursday - Drive to Stanley Idaho - 8 hours
    • Friday - Ride in Idaho
      • Drive to SLC - 6 hours

• Saturday - SLC ride
      • Drive to Moab 4 hours

• Sunday - Ride Moab -Stay locally
    • Monday - Ride - Drive to Las Vegas - 6 hours

Driving with a Colorado flight agenda

• Friday - Leave SF for Lake Tahoe - 3 hours
      • Sleep in Tahoe

• Saturday - Ride the Tahoe Rim trail
      • Drive to Downieville - 2 hours

• Sunday - Ride trails in Downieville
      • Sleep in Downieville

• Monday - Drive to Graeagle California - 2 hours
      • Ride Mt. Elwell
      • Stay local

• Tuesday - Drive to Bend Oregon
      • Chill

• Wednesday - Drive to McKenzie river trail
      • Stay in Bend

• Thursday - Fly to Grand Junction, drive to Crested Butte
    • Friday - Ride Crested Butte trail 401
      • Drive to Almont Colorado - Doctor Park

• Saturday - Ride Almont Colorado - Doctor Park
      • Drive to Moab 4 hours

• Sunday - Ride Moab
      • Stay locally

• Monday - Drive to Las Vegas - 6 hours

Don't worry, be happy!
    Better make sure the smoke is gone before you come to the PNW. It's been really bad for a while now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks Formica. What areas are affected the most by this? Should I just head straight to Utah\Colorado?

Don't worry, be happy!
    If I were planning this trip, I'd do one of two things. One, blow it off entirely this year or two, wait and see if the weather changes and brings in some rain to clear things out. I guess it depends on your planning style.

Images are from today. (Thursday 8/27)

This smoke viewer gives you a good idea of what we are dealing with. Choose latest run, and then either western US or PWN
    BlueSky Daily Runs
    Northwest trip - Ideas and tips needed-capture.jpg

The "wundermap" gives a pretty good idea of fire activity
    WunderMap® | Interactive Weather Map and Radar | Weather Underground
    (select the active fire layers)

Northwest trip - Ideas and tips needed-capture.jpg

It's pretty gross out right now, and by my calculations the coast is the only place to be that's not getting hit with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the advice and those great links. I have a few weeks and I am totally flexible so I will wait this one out. Looks like flying to Colorado will be my best bet though.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Dude, more riding, less driving. Pick a few areas and spend 3 or 4 days at each. Too much driving and you will feel empty and vaguely unfulfilled at the end of your trip :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yes Telebiker, I think that is good advice. It also makes more sense given that I am not taking my bike on this trip due to logistics. I have always wanted to check out Bend as a next stop in places to live(I currently live overseas).

I just need to find the best areas to focus on. Tahoe seems like a good stop and Downieville seems like it will be free of smoke. Maybe a few days in the area before driving back to San Fran and flying to either Utah or Colorado.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Tahoe and Downieville are worth at least a 4 day visit. Then shoot up to Bend/Oakridge/Umpqua for a week or more of riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks Telebiker. I am leaning towards staying local and then flying to Vegas at the end of a long week. I appreciate the advice.

mtbr member
    BikeSkiDrink - Very cool that you have so much time here in the PNW! Of course we have a few more ideas for you:
    18th: Drive up to Bend and have dinner at a local brewery: Deschutes Brewery, Cruz, 10 Barrel or Bend Brewing Company. Pick up your rental bike if time.
    19th & 20th: Take the Cog Wild $15 local shuttle to different trail heads and do rides back to town. You can ride 2-5 hours per day depending on what trails you choose. Also, the Mt Bachelor Bike park is open for the weekend and they rent bikes. Enjoy more local breweries afterwards..
    21-23rd: Join Cog Wild for our 3-day North Umpqua Trail camping tour. Cog can supply camping gear and return your rental bike after the tour for you too. The Umpqua trail is techy, fun and beautiful and is a great point to point ride. We supply the Deschutes Brewery beer too!! Umpqua River Trail Camping Tour - Cog Wild
    On the 23rd: either return to Bend in the cog van to fly to CO in the morning (you can drop off your rental car before the tour) or leave directly from Tokotee Falls on Hwy 138 for Graeagle, Downieville or Tahoe for some more awesome riding on your way to Vegas.

Note we have gotten some rain in the area and the smoke is gone from the air. By the 18th we will have gotten some rain on the trails here in Bend too and everything should be tacky and amazing! For hotels in Bend we recommend the Hampton Suites in the Old Mill, we checked and there are rooms available.

Cheers, Melanie
    Cog Wild Mountain Bike Tours & Shuttles
    Sponsored by Deschutes Brewery!! Come ride..

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the info. What does the weather look like up there for the next 5-6 days?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSkiDrink View Post
    Thanks for the info. What does the weather look like up there for the next 5-6 days?
    Here is Bend: National Weather Service

Here is the Umpqua, we still have room although would need to talk to you by 2pm today: National Weather Service

Basically perfect riding weather!!

Melanie

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I just want to thank Cog wild for providing one of the best experiences I have ever had mountain biking. The two days in Bend were a great warm-up for the epic trails of the Umpqua. The Cog wild guides were fantastic and helped to make the entire experience the best it could have been. The camping was outstanding with incredible meals and lots of cold beer. In fact the first trip was so good I signed up for the McKenzie river trip at the end of the week. The terrain was equally as fantastic with outstanding views with many 3-6 mile descents. The guides on this trip were also top notch and made the trip even better by going out of their way to make sure we all had a great time. If you want epic riding, fantastic views, and the best guide group out there, head to Oregon and give Cog wild a call.

PS

I also had a great time hanging and riding with the different groups of riders (Jason, Mitch, Dave, George, Russ, Sarah, Matt, Lee , Rich, Gernot and Dillan ). Until next year ....

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Also thanks to telebiker. Good plan riding in one area instead of driving everywhere! Oakridge is on the short list for next year. I plan on bringing some friends along as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSkiDrink View Post
    I just want to thank Cog wild for providing one of the best experiences I have ever had mountain biking.
    You just made our day - if not week -or year! We were wondering if you did end up riding with us, but you never know. We never asked you in person. But stoked that it all worked out!
    Thanks again for coming riding with us - and look forward to experiencing Oakridge with you next summer!
    Melanie

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    Dude, more riding, less driving. Pick a few areas and spend 3 or 4 days at each. Too much driving and you will feel empty and vaguely unfulfilled at the end of your trip :-)
    X2!!
    The places you listed are all worthy of a week of great riding.....