North or South Tahoe- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

North or South Tahoe

Am i correct that North Tahoe has bike lift access but South Tahoe does not? Vacationing in June and if my flatland family doesn't have lift access, we may never see the higher elevations from a bike.

Ride On!
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, however, with this years record Snow Pack they are talking about some resorts being open until July, thus they are anticipating the snow pack will not be melted. Maybe some Tahoe locals can chime in here with other info . I know that last June that some of the TRT (Tahoe Rim Trail) had snow on it as I was unable to get up to Star Lake. Good news is that there is other places to ride at lower elevations.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, however, with this years record Snow Pack they are talking about some resorts being open until July, thus they are anticipating the snow pack will not be melted. Maybe some Tahoe locals can chime in here with other info . I know that last June that some of the TRT (Tahoe Rim Trail) had snow on it as I was unable to get up to Star Lake. Good news is that there is other places to ride at lower elevations.
    not in tahoe but do live in reno area and the snowpac is ginormous throughout the local. This entire region has the highest snowpac numbers bar none in the country so june is a no go swebre.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    happy for all of yall that you have great snow. bummer for us. oh well, we'll figure it out.

nvphatty
    received 3" overnight @ 4500ft so my guesstimation is the highest elevations received yet another pounding as well. Best of luck with your finding a spot in june.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thank you. Glad i asked. in looking at other ski areas, looks like everyone is having a banner snow year and any trail riding in June will likely be at lower elevations. Thinking Crested Butte. who knows, by not having lift access, i may be saving myself a trip to the emergency room by keeping my 15 yo boy off the long stretches of downhill...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It is possible that Northstar could be open by the end of June,possibly with trenches plowed through lingering snow, but I wouldn't bet on it this far out. Not sure of anywhere in the Western US that would be a sure bet for lift-served that time of year, much depends on what the weather does the next few months.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    thank you hurtssogood. for a Louisiana guy, it's just hard to imagine June with too much snow on the ground for riding. learn something new every day