MTB near Smoky Mountain National Park- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MTB near Smoky Mountain National Park

My wife and I decided to plan our anniversary trip to a small cabin a little ways outside of Gatlinburg this summer. I wasn't even paying attention when I booked the cabin, but apparently there is no mountain biking allowed inside SMNP. I was curious if there was anywhere driveable that had beginner to light intermediate trails (wife is more of a roadie but enjoys her mtb from time to time).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Not what you're looking for but............Cades Cove in the Park Saturday and Wednesday morning allows only bikes and pedestrians on the loop road.

An 11-mile, one-way loop road circles the cove, offering motorists the opportunity to sightsee at a leisurely pace. Allow at least two to four hours to tour Cades Cove, longer if you walk some of the area's trails. Traffic is heavy during the tourist season in summer and fall and on weekends year-round. While driving the loop road, please be courteous to other visitors and use pullouts when stopping to enjoy the scenery or view wildlife.

An inexpensive self-guiding tour booklet available at the entrance to the road provides a map and information about the cove.

Only bicycle and foot traffic are allowed on the loop road until 10:00 a.m. every Saturday and Wednesday morning from early May until late September. Otherwise the road is open to motor vehicles from sunrise until sunset daily, weather permitting.

There is a bike shop in Bryson City that may be able to point you in the right direction. Tsali is not too far. Fontana lake?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yup, that's about it. Pretty weak mountain biking, just scenic paved trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I saw this a while back and it looks like something worth looking into at least.

CLIMB Works Mountain Biking in the Smoky Mountains

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I saw that video yesterday, it looks pretty fun. The trail doesn't look that long though. If I happened to be there I would think about doing it but it's not worth driving 5 hours for though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulsmith55 View Post
    I saw that video yesterday, it looks pretty fun. The trail doesn't look that long though. If I happened to be there I would think about doing it but it's not worth driving 5 hours for though.
    Yeah I agree, but OP should be relatively close I would imagine. Definitely wouldn't drive 5 hours ha. Bit of a steepish price for 3.5 hours as well I feel, but I guess it is shuttle back to the top.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Unfortunately Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge could possibly be the worst places on the Earth. Maybe Branson, MO is worse? Best bet is to stock up on wife points by showing her your undivided attention and get the F out of there ASAP. Next best thing would be fishing or hiking in the park. I think the closest riding of note would be Tsali. But thats up and over the mtn and still a good ways south from Cherokee.

mtbr member
    im close to the area and I think climb works is gonna be your closest option. I have not yet been there but my guess is its better than walkin the streets of Gatlinburg.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Not sure how far your willing to drive but the Pisgah National Forest outside Asheville NC had some great mountain biking. About a 2hr drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I agree - Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are the absolute armpit of America. However - the park is beautiful and there is a lot of great hiking and solitude to be found. There is great biking to be found in other areas of NC and TN, but I was unable to find anything in the immediate area of Pigeon Forge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk