Laugavegur Route Iceland- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Laugavegur Route Iceland

I am going to be in Iceland in late August and wanted to give this a go. Having trouble finding information on bike rentals etc. Also would love to know how long it realistically takes on a mountain bike for two fit experienced riders.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    These guys can probably help you out. Mountain bike trips in Iceland - Iceland mountain & helibike adventures like no other

That said, be prepared for EXTREME. Extreme weather, extreme hike-a-bike, extreme exposure, etc. I've hiked a bunch of that route, and while it's mostly a "trail", it's hardly all rideable. It probably wouldn't be far off to say it's maybe 50% rideable. The descents will be epic, but the climbs will be painful. And the weather.... oh, the weather. That said, it's one of the most incredible landscapes you'll ever see.

No known cure
    I would bring your own bike and spare gear. The LBSs in Reykjavik are roadie oriented. You're not going to find aggressive tires or get your brakes bled.

The mountain bike scene is very primitive in Iceland. Everything is expensive too so the cost of renting a capable bike is probably more than what it costs to fly yours there. I paid 100 bucks each way, the same as renting a DH bike here for a day.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Iceland is such an awesome place. Have a look at the blue lagoons when you're there. I'm sure you can find free natural springs without having to pay the enormous fee. Unfortunately I don't know much about renting bikes there but the capital cities hot spot is very small and there's only a few tourist places. I'm sure they have information there. Be warned though, it's very expensive in Iceland.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardioboss View Post
    Iceland is such an awesome place. Have a look at the blue lagoons when you're there. I'm sure you can find free natural springs without having to pay the enormous fee. Unfortunately I don't know much about renting bikes there but the capital cities hot spot is very small and there's only a few tourist places. I'm sure they have information there. Be warned though, it's very expensive in Iceland.
    The dollar does not go far, but you can visit on the cheap. I stayed at a guest house for under $40US a night. It was clean and had a kitchen to prepare food. I kept lunch stuff in the fridge and made dinner with new friends several nights. The guesthouse also provided a quality breakfast. I was also able to store my bike in a storage in the office.

My biggest expense of the trip was beer. On average it 's $8US a pint. A dollar more than my home town in California. There's one gov liquor store in Reykjavik for six packs and such. At around 5PM there's a mass exodus to it LOL.

Gas is expensive. Around $8US for four liters, but, the car I rented took 95 octane and got around 60mpg. The speed limit in the countryside is really low. 60kph if I remember correctly, so the needle on the gas gauge never really moves since you're crawling. You don't really want to drive fast anyway with the landscape, and sheep in the road. On the days I wasn't riding, I'd bring my new Euro friends along since they all hitch hike, and see the sights and museums. Iceland has a museum for everything, including a phallic museum and a sorcery museum.

Tip for the day- There's only one place to do laundry in Reykjavik, the Laundromat Café. Upstairs is a café and bar, and downstairs is three industrial washers and dryers. Prepare to wait for a while and get a beer. Luckily, I paired up with a woman and shared the load (sounds dirty). This beautiful Belgian woman even folded my clothes since she had her unmentionables in the wash.

Next time I go back, it's to look at property.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laugavegur Route Iceland-157.jpg  

No known cure
    One of the Euro friends I met and hung out with for several days. Benta from Germany.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laugavegur Route Iceland-152.jpg