Julyish XC trip from Vermont to Northern Idaho, Eastern Washington and Eastern BC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Julyish XC trip from Vermont to Northern Idaho, Eastern Washington and Eastern BC

Hello All,
    My wife and I are planning on taking a 6 week trip this summer out West to do some riding, sight seeing and visit family. We'll probably arrive in Moscow, ID in early July for a few days with family and head out from there. We have a small travel trailer which will be our base of operations for the duration.

The plan is for her to fly into Pullman, then depart from some other airport; Edmonton, Calgary, Boise...? I'll leave from VT a bit early and take a few rides while I drive cross country. I was thinking Black Hills, and whatever else I turn up along the route (suggestions?). Once we're together we hope to set up camp for 5-7 days in a given location and wander from there. Ideally, we'd be able to stay in a nice campground frequented by other riders and close to the trails. For trails, I like technical XC stuff, my wife likes flowy cruisers, so a selection of each would be nice. She also likes to hammer out scenic road miles, I am less enthralled with that, but will have a CX bike along in the event.... A XC race might be interesting and finally, I am also the main trail builder in my town, so would love to chip in for a work day or two to see how it is done elsewhere.

We are in the very early stages of planning, so basically anything (within the laws of physics) is possible. Suggestions? Input?

Thanks,
    Ward

Mtb
    Apr 2004
    Not sure what route you'll take, but here are some ideas and links.
    Black Hills around Rapid City is a good idea. You might like Spearfish, SD. This Spearfish race map might give you ideas - Dakota Five-O
    A must is Maah Dah Hey in North Dakota's Teddy Roosevelt Natl. It's an IMBA epic trail. https://www.imba.com/epics/maah-daah-hey-trail There should be more posts on MTBR about it, too
    I live in Iowa, and I'm sure our terrain/trails won't give you any epic rides. But if you are looking to see how many states you can ride in or just need to take a break on your route, there are fun, well-maintained trails not far off of I-80. Davenport's Sunderbruch (www.qcforc.org). Iowa City's Sugar bottom (ICORR), Des Moines area's Center, White Rock, Seven Oaks, and Banner Trails are always fun. (Area Trails Overview ? Central Iowa Trail Association (CITA))
    Depending on your route, Stone State Park (Camp for the night) or Bacon Creek trail near Sioux City, IA. (Disclaimer - I haven't ridden those trails).
    If you're traveling above us through Minnesota, http://mntrails.com or give 'em a shout in the mtbr forum.
    Have a great trip!

mtbr member
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    I am just getting into the meat of the trip planning. Thanks for the input!

Ward

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    check out beauty creek campground outside of Coeur d alene, Idaho, there is a usfs campground there and beauty bay and beauty creek are pretty scenic.

mtbr member
    Thanks Tim. I am spending a few days in the area, so will do.

Ward

mtbr member
    We only have a little over 400 miles of singletrack in and around Park City, Utah, most above 6000 feet going up to 9500. Most of it fits your description of preferred trails. I suppose it's a bit out of your way. The Bozeman , Montana area is pretty nice also but with less selection. It depends on how flexible your plans are.

mtbr member
    Park City is another trip, but one I definitely want to make. Maybe the summer after next .... We are going to spend the bulk of our time in the Canadian Rockies. Nelson, Revelstoke, Canmore and Jasper are all on the list for this year.

Thanks,
    Ward