International travel with bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

International travel with bike?

Anybody have much experience traveling with their bike internationally?

It seems like a challenging way to travel especially internationally because of the costs of oversized baggage and just hoofing big bike bag around. Everyone seems to be using the Evoc bike bag because it comes under weight but from the dimensions it is way over many international airlines of maximum 62 inches (length+width+height).

I really want my bike but rentals may be the more logical choice.

Any tips or experience info would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

NZ with Evoc

Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Anybody have much experience traveling with their bike internationally?

It seems like a challenging way to travel especially internationally because of the costs of oversized baggage and just hoofing big bike bag around. Everyone seems to be using the Evoc bike bag because it comes under weight but from the dimensions it is way over many international airlines of maximum 62 inches (length+width+height).

I really want my bike but rentals may be the more logical choice.

Any tips or experience info would be helpful.
    I've taken two trips to New Zealand from New England and brought a bike both times. Used the Evoc bike bag this past spring at it was a breeze. No charge on Air New Zealand and since the ticket originated with them, no charge for the domestic legs (United) as well. Make sure to think about car rentals-often a taller station wagon is perfect and less $ than an SUV if it is just one or two people. How small the Evoc folds up is a big advantage over hard cases once you are in your overseas destination and traveling around. Well worth the slight hassle of getting from the airport to the rental car depot. Have your own bike with none of the expense (or spending the extra time) renting and returning in multiple locations.

mtbr member
    That's good info. I'm surprised that you didn't get oversize charges even though you booked with them. I thought all baggage policies were the same for every passenger regardless of where your ticket was purchased?? The airlines I checked, there was pretty big extra fees for oversized luggage.

I think they should make more bike bags with 4 wheels so you can push them around airports. Much easier.

mtbr member
    I've done it a couple times, once on Iceland air (from US to Iceland) the other on American (US to Morocco). I used a Ironcase both times.

Both charged me a baggage fee. Iceland Air was ~$40 each way, and they made me take stuff out of my bike case to get under weight. American charged me quite a bit more, ~$150 each way, but didn't seem to care how much it weighed (Marrakesh is by far the most lax airport I've ever seen, even baggage screening seemed to be almost optional).
    It appears that if you book one itinerary with one ticket, they'll only charge you once even if you change flights - I think that's what angelo meant by the no charge for domestic legs.

Different airlines charge way different fees for bikes - When I went to Morocco, Royal Air Morocco had tickets for ~$200 less, but the bike fee was over $400 each way.