mtbr member

Iceland in September

Happy new year everyone! I just posted in the Europe section, but thought I would try here also. I will be going with family and friends to Iceland for the first time. We are going in September. Any suggestions on getting the most out of 1 day of biking? I am considering biting the bullet and doing one of the heli-biking day trips, but I am open to suggestions. Also it would just be me, or if possible I would love to bring my 11yr old son with me on whatever bike trip I decide to do. He is a pretty skilled rider for his age , and makes a great riding buddy. Also he would dig the heli bike thing if they would let him go, but again, i would love some advice and suggestions from those that know. This will be kind of like a once in a lifetime trip, so i am willing to do whatever for most biking adventure i can in a day
    cheers.
    Specialized Camber 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Hi, and awesome to hear you are coming to my home country.
    I know the guys at https://icebikeadventures.com/ and I assure you that they will give you a good day out on your bike. I have not been on their heli tours but I would bet my bike that you will not be disappointed. I do not know their policy about taking kids on the heli tours.
    And just a heads up, when in Iceland, specially when up in the mountains, always plan for wet and cold weather and be ready to pack the layers. It's very unpredictable.
    We also have quite a few fun trails around Reykjavik that is just a short drive away.
    I'll gladly try to answer any questions you have.

mtbr member
    Thank you for replying. It is now looking like we may have to postpone our trip to your awesome looking country. If we postpone it a little farther out, we can plan it better and I can get more than just one day of riding. I would like to stay in touch with you if that is ok. I really would like to learn as much as i can before we go, and it would be really nice to have a contact there.
    Thanks again, I really appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Absolutely no problem. But be advised that from late september/start october until may its 90% unbikeable up in the mountains/highlands due to weather, snow, mud, accessibility and so forth. Might become good days inbetween with good weather and hard packed snow but they are few and far between. But from may until september its just wet, muddy and windy at it's worst and we most often handle that fine.
    I will follow this thread so if there is anything just drop a line and I will be notified via e-mail.

mtbr member
    ok ,thanks again. At least I have more time to plan and do it right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I had friends who went to Iceland and they said its a beautiful country. The best part is that it had no mosquitoes.

I want to go one day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Iím headed there in August. I will be doing the 5 day Raven AM trail with the folks at IceBike.

Iím told its an intense ride. It would be great to hear from anyone who has done it.

How tough are the climbs?
    How much hike a biking takes place?
    What are the huts like?
    Are the showers/toilets decent? Etc.
    Is there any gear you wished you had taken?
    Any first timer advice?

Iím really looling forward to it and will be training to ensure I donít hold my group back

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn View Post
    Iím headed there in August. I will be doing the 5 day Raven AM trail with the folks at IceBike.

Iím told its an intense ride. It would be great to hear from anyone who has done it.

How tough are the climbs?
    How much hike a biking takes place?
    What are the huts like?
    Are the showers/toilets decent? Etc.
    Is there any gear you wished you had taken?
    Any first timer advice?

Iím really looling forward to it and will be training to ensure I donít hold my group back
    I hope to be on that same trip. I did a solo self supported 10 day trip in August of 2013. Just day trips out of the rental car and not too far into the back country since I was alone.

August is the perfect time. The tourists have gone home and there were more sunny days than rainy days. I was mostly in a T shirt while sightseeing when I wasn't riding.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    August is the perfect time. The tourists have gone home and there were more sunny days than rainy days. I was mostly in a T shirt while sightseeing when I wasn't riding.
    You may want to re-calibrate expectations these days... August is about as busy as it gets in Iceland. Your trip in 2013 was peaceful because it was before the tourism boom. You guys will be fine since you're off the beaten path while riding, but the main areas, roads, and Reykjavik will be busier than you've ever seen.